Analog Audio vs HDMI

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
OK, so I have the Marantz AVR, and I have several choices of BR players with analog outs.

Currently, as most, I run the audio thru the AVR via HDMI, and I dont know jack about analog. Im assuming Audyssey has no control over analog either, but honestly dont know. With my setup, do I see an AQ improvement by running analog from the player to the marantz, or should I not worry with it?

I mean its not that it's hard, I just dont wanna go and do something half ass :)

AV receivers usually do better job decoding and processing digital audio (have better DACs), so in most cases the HDMI interface makes the best choice. The only use for (multichannel) analog audio connections is with receivers that don't have HDMI and are unable to decode advanced audio codecs.

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

Thanks, thats kinda what Im getting from some early research. You have a lot of people that go on and on about analog, but it seems to apply more to a music listener. I cant find anyone that recommends analog for movies with a good AVR, because the DAC's in the AVR are usually better and you retain equalization and bass management.

It's not strictly "digital vs. analog". For example, if the choice is between multi-channel analog and Dolby Digital over Toslink, I would recommend analog. But HDMI usually beats them all, and makes the wiring so much easier! ;)

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

Yeah, Im strictly dealing with Blu-ray lossles and Analog vs HDMI, just dont see a reason. I do feed the Marantz DD from Directv with a digi coax though ;)

I run all my video straight to the display currently.

It made sense on the early players because existing receivers had limited HDMI inputs and didn't have the advanced codecs. I believe that these days it is just a marketing gimmick. They need reasons to have step up players, and analog outputs are a good bet from a price/cost standpoint for the manufacturer.
Personally, it wouldn't be on my checklist. I'd have stuff like wi-fi, dual HDMI outputs and streaming/home network connectivity as my step-up features of choice.

I've done the analog 7.1 channel output to my AV receiver. Unfortunately, the Yamaha didn't provide, or the bluray player, good sub woofer response. I think it was the receiver, since I looked around the web and found others complaining about this same thing. The HDMI option has been great!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)