Annoying Best Buy Salesman

skottey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
Denver Metro, CO
Today I was at Best Buy getting a pair of speakers when I overheard a salesman ask a woman, "Can I ask why you are going with HD-DVD? and not Bluray?"

She mumbled something about having an HD television.

He muttered something back about Bluray being better than HD-DVD.

I butted in as I walked by, "they're both good."

The salesman said, "true, but you can only rent Bluray at Blockbuster."

Nice selling point *sarcasm*. The guy works in a retail outlet that sells media and he is using a media rental outlet (competition) as a selling point for Bluray.

Personally, I don't care who rents what. I am a buyer of my media. To hell with the HD format wars. I have both Bluray and HD-DVD and think they are both good and I think there is room for both. HD-DVD is not dying nor is Bluray. I'll happily buy a movie in either format.

Last edited:
I would assume the profit margin/commission on Blu-ray players is greater than on the price-cutting Toshibas, hence the BB's BD push... or it could just be a case of an under-informed seasonal hire.

I still like the BD display at best buy near me. It's been playing Shrek the Third for a couple weeks now. The other day as one of the sales people was giving a speech to some people on BD and I asked where can I buy Shrek the Third on BD and he reluctantly said "it's only on HD-DVD" then another person asked why it was playing on the BD display.

I left at this point, my good deed for the day done.

*notice, I am format neutral, I just hate stupid salesmen at these stores.

Personally, I don't care who rents what. I am a buyer of my media. To hell with the HD format wars. I have both Bluray and HD-DVD and think they are both good and I think there is room for both. HD-DVD is not dying nor is Bluray. I'll happily buy a movie in either format.

And I'm on the other end of that scale. I refuse to purchase either one. Wake me up when the war is over. In the meantime, I'll just wait for the movies to show up on one of my HD premium channels.

I am beginning to think BB is phasing out HD-DVD. The other day when I was at BB buying some movies, the guy at the register said "So I guess Blu-Ray has won." I asked what he meant & he said people were always buying BluRay stuff and he had never seen anyone buy an HD-DVD or player.

Also the stores near me are shrinking the HD-DVD sections and expanding BD. I was just in the Chicago BB today. They had seven 4' sections of BD movies and just four 4' sections of HD-DVD & they were split between two aisles.

Is that the same BB salesman that tried to tell me they had gold plated fiber optic audio cables?

You can't beat those gold plated optical cables.:D

At many stores, not just BB, the salesman are clueless.

And I'm on the other end of that scale. I refuse to purchase either one. Wake me up when the war is over. In the meantime, I'll just wait for the movies to show up on one of my HD premium channels.

Amen, come to the slysoft side/power dvd ultra side, and give the finger to both the idiots for not being able to play in the same sand box together. :eek:

...come to the slysoft side/power dvd ultra side, and give the finger to both the idiots for not being able to play in the same sand box together. :eek:
And according to the latest reports by beta testers, PowerDVD will finally get competition from Arcsoft (come January) and the last issue - high resolution audio playback on HTPC - will be resolved. By then BD+ might be a footnote in history, too.

Can't wait.

Diogen.

The salesman said, "true, but you can only rent Bluray at Blockbuster."

As a selling point I don't know how valid this is as in Philadelphia we have 2 blockbusters that have blu-ray and they also carry HD DVD. That said were one of the largest cities in the country and have 2 in a 10 mile radius out of the 7 or 8 stores available.

I am beginning to think BB is phasing out HD-DVD. The other day when I was at BB buying some movies, the guy at the register said "So I guess Blu-Ray has won." I asked what he meant & he said people were always buying BluRay stuff and he had never seen anyone buy an HD-DVD or player.

Also the stores near me are shrinking the HD-DVD sections and expanding BD. I was just in the Chicago BB today. They had seven 4' sections of BD movies and just four 4' sections of HD-DVD & they were split between two aisles.

I wouldnt be suprised they havent sold any HD-DVD movies. The last time I was in there, all the HD-DVDs were being sold at MSRP.

I wouldnt be suprised they havent sold any HD-DVD movies. The last time I was in there, all the HD-DVDs were being sold at MSRP.

Yeah, some of these stores kill me. BB, CC, and Target, just to name a few, have ridiculous prices on BD and HD-DVD. I love it when Target has the little signs on the shelves: "$29.99 AS ADVERTISED," like that's supposed to be some great deal or something... I think I've bought a total of three Blu-Ray's from those stores: 2 were on a BOGO when I had a BB giftcard, and one was when I had a $25 Target gift card. When I'm spending my own money, it's Fry's, Wal-Mart or Amazon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)