Another FiOS TV Review

korsjs said:
On 3/3/06, I placed my order for FiOS TV. Hillsborough County was suppose to take orders on 3/1/06 but did not officially announce it until 3/6/06. Confirmed with rep on 3/6/06 that install was still on. Verizon called on 3/9/06 to see if I would like to order TV service. Wife told rep we already ordered and had install date of tomorrow. Rep said it had been cancelled due to engineering problems. Rep said she would call back later after she investigated. Rep called back explaining why my order was cancelled. Was told it was due to engineering problems, but those had since been corrected. It had something to do with the software used for the outside terminals. I told her not acceptable that I lost my install date. She said she would work on it and would get back with me. Rep called back and told me she was working with engineering to honor original install date. She called back 15 minutes later and told me I was good to go with my original install date. I have had service with Dish Network, Comcast, and Brighthouse cable and have never had a customer service rep that went out of their way like the Verizon rep did. The reason this rep called in the first place was because I talked to her in January about the TV service and she told me she would call back when it was available for my address. Thank God she did or I would have been waiting at home all day with no one showing up.

Two Verizon servicemen arrived around 830 in the morning. One had been doing TV installs since the beginning and had just arrived back from Texas. The other was being trained. The main installer told me that Verizon was going slow on the installs and had not had any mainstream advertising because they did not want a repeat of what happened when they made DSL available. Currently there are not enough fully trained people to meet the demand of everyone who would want the TV service. They are going to be sending mailings to available areas as more of their techs become proficient in the TV service. Was also told just about everyone who could get the internet service is ready for TV service, but are not going to be turning on the areas until more techs are qualified.

Actual install took less than two hours. They first took the main cable feed to my house that was attached to Brighthouse Cable service box and attached it to the video input connection of their box. A splitter was attached to run the main cable to another new splitter that distributes the signal to the three cables entering my house for each TV. The other cable from the first splitter goes to a little black box which was placed next to my router. The box is connected to one of the ports of the router. They upgraded my old wired router to a new wireless router and also provided an extra switch because I use more than three of the Ethernet ports.

After all the technical stuff was installed it was time to install the set top boxes. I had ordered one HD PVR and two regular SD boxes. The HD PVR is connected to the TV via HDMI connection. Asked if the Motorola had fixed the problem with the optical cable working with the HDMI connection and he said no, however, there are boxes the do successfully pas the 5.1 sound using the optical cable and the HDMI connection. I tested to see if 5.1 sound would work on my box with the HDMI cable and optical cable and it did not. This is something Motorola should fix immediately. Currently it only outputs in two channel stereo when using HDMI. People have reported 5.1 sound works when using component cables. Our master bedroom has the SD box connected to the bedroom's computer via TV Tuner Card using composite cables. Currently using the computer's monitor as TV to save room. My son's room is using a SD box attached to the TV via coax cable. The two composite inputs he has are used for an XBOX and Game Cube. After they hooked up all three boxes, he activated the boxes via his laptop. He told me it would take around ten minutes for the boxes to update. Everything updated successfully the first time.

After everything was up and running, he gave me a walkthrough of the set top box features. He did very good explaining all the features of the boxes. Total time there was a little under two hours. The installation went smoothly and could not have asked for better installers. They were outstanding.

After they left, I went to the HD channels they looked spectacular. Better than what I previously with Brighthouse and Dish Network. Looks like Tampa is having the known problem with HD NET and it is being blacked out. HD NET is listed in the guide, but it is HD NET movies. Hopefully HD NET will be turned on soon. MTVHD was also present. Was not expecting that channel as it was not listed on their printable channel guide. MTVHD looks amazing.

After going through the HD channels I started to flip through the regular channels. I would have to say that the SD channels are the biggest WOW factor to me. It is amazing how good they look. All of the remind me of the PPV event channels on Dish Network. Have not had Dish in over a year, but they always up the bandwidth for the PPV events and the channels looked great. All of Verizon’s SD channels look like that. The picture quality is truly amazing.

I plugged my external hard drive into the front USB port and I have not seen any options to export to it. I also have an Ethernet cable plugged into the back. Do not see it on my network. The Verizon guy said that Motorola said all ports were not active, however he says they show active in the diagnostics. I have not tested the firewire port.

I still like the Dish Network guide better, but I will get use to it. The remote at times seems a little slow.

The Verizon Tech also mentioned that they would be doing away with the 5/2 internet package. The 15/2 will be the entry level package and the price will go down to what the 5/2 is. The 30/5 will be the second package and he believed it would go the current 15/2 price. He said they would be adding a 60/5 package for their high end package.

I have had the TV service now for a couple days and could not recommend it more.

EDIT ON 3/13/06, 10:05 - I have had a little time to play with the HD DVR. As some have reported, the interface could use a little work. For example, my biggest complaint about it is this. It goes out 14 days, however, say I was looking at tomorrow’s listings (Tuesday 3/14); it identifies the date as "Tuesday". Now if I go to the next Tuesday (3/21), it still only identifies itself as "Tuesday". I feel they should also list the date (3/14 or 3/21).

Another thing I noticed, but have not had a lot of time to play around with is this. I had two recordings set up last night for the Sopranos and Desperate Housewives. Both start at 9pm. I had it on HBO at around 855 and a message came up asking if I wanted to switch to the Desperate Housewives channel or delete the Sopranos recording. Not wanting to mess with it last night, I just choose to cancel the Sopranos recording as I was watching it live. I can't figure out why it was asking me to choose between the two as it will record two programs at once and I had it on one of the channels that it was recording. I will test more later on.

EDIT ON 3/14/06, 5:04 - One thing I noticed while recording which is very annoying is this. I tape Judge Judy everyday. There are two shows, one from 4 - 430 and the other is 430 - 5. My wife is usually not home during that time, but was home sick today. She was watching something else and Judge Judy was the only thing recording. At around 428 a message pops up saying it has to flip to the channel Judge Judy is recording. The reason it is doing it is because it starts to record a few minutes early and runs a few minutes late. So for about four minutes is was recording the same thing twice and we were forced to watch the channel Judge Judy was recording on. Very annoying. The Scientific Atlantic 8300 did not have this problem and hopefully it will be worked out soon.

EDIT ON 3/19/06, 7:15 - One big positive I noticed with the Verizon HD DVR is that you can start to watch a recording while the show is still live and it does not stop when the show ends. For example, my old Scientific Atlantic 8300 would stop when the show was over. You would have to restart what you were watching and fast forward to the point where you previously had got cut off. This is a big plus for me because I start watching alot of shows before they are over.

EDIT ON 3/19/06, 8:22 - I added some SD pictures. I don't know if you will be able to tell the quality of the pictures, but it does look great. The last pictures kind of show the detail the FiOS picture gives. You can see the strands of hair on the top and side of her head. (jpg 41).

"They first took the main cable feed to my house that was attached to Brighthouse Cable service box and attached it to the video input connection of their box"
Gotta ask..why was it necessary to use the coax from the (assuming the cable was coming from pole or pedastal) cable company?..I thought FiOS was a method of delivering voice ,data, and audio /video?......
Am I incorrect in thinking that if you want the FiOS service and not a cable cust, you can't get the tv service..
Please exaplain as best you can.....Thanks

dishcomm said:
"They first took the main cable feed to my house that was attached to Brighthouse Cable service box and attached it to the video input connection of their box"
Gotta ask..why was it necessary to use the coax from the (assuming the cable was coming from pole or pedastal) cable company?..I thought FiOS was a method of delivering voice ,data, and audio /video?......
Am I incorrect in thinking that if you want the FiOS service and not a cable cust, you can't get the tv service..
Please exaplain as best you can.....Thanks

A small fiber connection is ran directly to your home from a neighborhood terminal. The fiber enters a box which Verizon calls the ONT. The light reader in this ONT interperts the signal and then basically outputs 3 separate services, telephone, internet, and tv. From the ONT these services are delivered via standard cabling, coax for video, RJ45 for network and telephone for telephone.

The item that talks about the coax from BH just means that the coax that runs into korsjs' house goes from the Verizon ONT instead of the BH box.

As a Verizon employee, I'm glad to hear the positive review of FIOS. We're all hoping that this service explodes. I live in Rhode Island and they're running in my state. I actually could get it right now, but am waiting for the video to be put on it. I have the cheap DSL service and am locked in to a contract with D*. I'd break it tomorrow if the video was included.

Reply to previous thread

PLEASE PLEASE PUUUUUULEASE bring Verizon FIOS statewide to South Carolina NOW!!!! We desperately need competition here in South Carolina. Also, Verizon should consider Matrixstream (www.matrixstream.com) for its new stb in case they cannot make a deal w/ TiVo:hungry:

Last edited:
I have made another update.

EDIT ON 4/12/06, 3:45 - There was a software release today for the problem with 5.1 sound being passed through the optical cable while using the HDMI cable. It has been fixed and is now passing 5.1 sound through the optical cable with HDMI being used as the video connection. One thing I also seem to notice is the remote is now more responsive. For example, before when hitting the fast forward buttom twice to go fast through the commercials, the box would take a while to catch up with what it is suppose to be doing. When you hit play it sometimes kept going. As of right now, it is working very well and doing what it is suppose to.

Another thing that has happened the past few weeks is the DVR was missing recordings. I can count five of the top of my head that it has failed to record. I am hoping today's fix corrected whatever was causing the DVR from forgetting to record the timers.

Last edited:
another update.

EDIT ON 4/20/06, 9:05 - HD Net has been added. To follow up on the software update. The PVR is working well now. Has not missed a recording since the update and the sensitivity of the remote is now much much better. Things keep looking very bright for FiOS TV. I also noticed my first sports blackout tonight. On ESPN 2 HD, the Devil Rays were playing the Red Sox. I do not like the way the blackouts are handled. At first I thought ESPN 2 was not working until it clicked in my head that it was a blackout. If you try to flip to a channel that has a blackout, the previous channel you were on will just freeze. No alert that it is a blackout. It just freezes.

Last edited:
korsjs said:
another update.

EDIT ON 4/20/06, 9:05 - HD Net has been added. To follow up on the software update. The PVR is working well now. Has not missed a recording since the update and the sensitivity of the remote is now much much better. Things keep looking very bright for FiOS TV. I also noticed my first sports blackout tonight. On ESPN 2 HD, the Devil Rays were playing the Red Sox. I do not like the way the blackouts are handled. At first I thought ESPN 2 was not working until it clicked in my head that it was a blackout. If you try to flip to a channel that has a blackout, the previous channel you were on will just freeze. No alert that it is a blackout. It just freezes.

Interesting

That HDNET was added and ESPN2 had a blackout, that goes hand in hand - as the reason HDNET was not on was due to the ability to do Sports Blackouts which was being worked out - not just with HDNET but all Sports Channels.

Instead of a NOC in each market FIOS uses 2 NOC's nationwide (Super Head Ends) which was the holdup on local blackouts. Apparently they are just killing the signal in markets and/or zipcodes as you state and the channel acts like it was never there.

I was lead to believe that they had a more elegant solution of program replacement forthcoming - so unless they weren't ready for that yet and had to obey the blackout rules, this might be their temporary solution.

Anyone know when South Tampa in Hillsborough will get it going? Already have the fiber laid for Internet several months now, but really want to get the TV hooked up. They said they'll call :(

webtent said:
Anyone know when South Tampa in Hillsborough will get it going? Already have the fiber laid for Internet several months now, but really want to get the TV hooked up. They said they'll call :(

Tampa Tribune in an article earlies this week, that they have another meeting before city council in May on the 11th, I believe, so I think there is light at the end of the tunnel.

rimagnaman said:
As a Verizon employee, I'm glad to hear the positive review of FIOS. We're all hoping that this service explodes. I live in Rhode Island and they're running in my state. I actually could get it right now, but am waiting for the video to be put on it. I have the cheap DSL service and am locked in to a contract with D*. I'd break it tomorrow if the video was included.

I'm with you - can't wait for FIOS TV to become available in RI. Have you heard any estimates on how long it will take for Verizon to get the OK for TV service? Presently have Cox (for the Red Sox in HD)), and DirecTV (only for TV at our cabin in VT).

Last edited:
I have 1 more year on my Dish contract ----- I sure hope Verizon FIOS TV gets up and running in my area of Oregon by then. I was with Dish for years BUT they have really gone DOWNhill customer wise and I want out --- would almost pay more for Cable than stay with Dish.:mad:

mrschwarz said:
I don't have HD. The two things keeping from FIOS are their DVR, which is very unimpressive, and their prices.

I have *E with AT120, HBO and CInemax, a 522 DVR, and a 322. To replace it with a single DVR and 3 other receivers would increase my costs more than $15.

So far, I am not willing to pay the price.

guess "your results may vary"... i am switching from E* tomorrow and my monthly cost will go down almost $15:

Current monthly costs (E*):
DISHNET LOCAL PACKAGE 8.99
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 0.0
DIGITAL HOME PLAN WITH AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK 104.99
4 RCVRS (one 811, two sd dvrs, one 301) 0.0
CBS HIGH DEFINITION WEST 0.0
DISH NETWORK HD PACKAGE 9.99
HD PROMOTION - ADJUSTMENT -5.00
========
Account Charges $ 118.97
Taxes STATE/LOCAL TAX (SALES/GROSS RECEIPTS) $7.84
========
Total $126.81

New monthly costs (FIOSTV):
$34.95 premier (w/$5 bundle discount)
$12.95 x2 HD DVR
$3.95 x2 Std STB
$14.95 Movies+Sports
$14.95 HBO
$13.33 taxes
======
Total $111.98

i will no longer be getting the 5 cinemax channels, but will be getting 64 premium movie channes (HBO, SHOW, TMC, STARZ, ENC) as opposed to only 42 with E*. i will be getting more HD channels, including the local RSN HD channel.

The only channels i will be losing that matter to me are OLN and NHL Center Ice... but i asked & was told they should have those by the start of the next hockey season... we'll see.

i will be replacing an 811 hd receiver with a dual tuner HD dvr without having to pay an upfront 'lease fee' of $149, and also without having to commit for another 18 months.

throw in the much better picture quality and it's just no contest in my case.

Yep, it depends. I signed up for DishHD Platinum, vice a lesser programming package, simply because I have two HD DVRs and both 5.99 DVR fees would be waived with Platinum - it's only a few bucks less for DishHD Gold. I would wind up paying another $3 if I ordered FiOS TV with all the premium channels (HBO and MAX are the big ticket combo at $24.95), but I will save something like $22 by ordering the Movies & Sports Pac (SHOHD, TMCHD, StarzHD) and dumping HBO and MAX (which I never watch). I would not miss VOOM-Lite or any of the other DishHD-Lite channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts