Any interesting offers from Adelphia??

SpringsGuy said:
Is Adelphia's HD quality worth paying the price for?? That is a question i should of added to my last posting on this thread.... I know if it sucks i can dump them right away since hopefully i won't have to lock into a contract or do i?? But its been well over a year and a half since i have had adelphia and their HD channels and quality was ok then i guess, but so used to Voom's HD watching Adelphia's HD might make me puke on myself if i watch it.. But just want to know who is watching Adelphia's HD right now and how do you think the quality stacks up next to Voom?? Is it worth it? And also to add 1 last thing another reason i am kinda holding out is because i want to see who gets Voom's 21 exclusive HD channels because honestly thats where i think i will be, word is there probably going to Dish and should be a final soon...Oh and how are the channels looking that aren't in HD on your T.V.'s you current Adelphia customers? Are you getting alot of screen lag, pixelation on analog and supposed digital channels?

I found the HD quality with Adelphia is much better than Dish. Dish was horrible. The SD quality is about the same. Adelphia's HD quality is comparable to Voom. In fact, I can switch back and forth between Voom and Adelphia in HD (same exact channel) and see very little difference. With regard to the 21 channels, I very rarely watch them anymore. For our viewing habits, we only watched Equator and Monsters (and I can live without them).

lostcause said:
*sigh* I've just come to find out that not only is adelphia my *cough* best *choke* option for HD, but they may be my only option. Condo board has temporarily put the kibosh on any new satellite installations.

No wonder I woke up in such a bad mood today. This is a sad sad day in the life of lostcause. Dammit voom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not aware of any other "options" that are better.

keno said:
I am not aware of any other "options" that are better.

That's what makes this a complete disaster. I hate adelphia. I have had bad experiences with them before. The sad thing is that while direct and dish also offer HD, and are a viable option, they are not any better for HD, and actually probably a bit worse.

Not that I would have chosen them over adelphia, but now I don't even have the option. Oh well....

lostcause said:
That's what makes this a complete disaster. I hate adelphia. I have had bad experiences with them before. The sad thing is that while direct and dish also offer HD, and are a viable option, they are not any better for HD, and actually probably a bit worse.

Not that I would have chosen them over adelphia, but now I don't even have the option. Oh well....
I agree and I'm no Adelphia fan, but I'm not about to spend $$$ on outdated equipment and get locked into a programming committment for a handful of HD channels. Bottom line: Adelphia in my area offers more HD, there is no programming committment, I am renting 3 low-cost HD DVRs, and save $25-$35 over V*, D* or E* due to their bundled broadband and dump the dish promotion. The reason I paid more for V* was because they offered a LOT MORE HD. Charlie and Rupert may uplink one or two more HD channels this year, but it's just aren't competitive IMO.

I'll be enjoying VOOM for 2 more weeks and sticking with Adelphia until the DBS providers get serious about HD.

SpringsGuy said:
Well Adelphia has far more Hd channels... 13 in my Area compared to direct's what 7 or so... But still waiting for someone to say how the HD quality is on Adelphia these days??

Currently, DIRECTV offers, 9 HD channels through the dish and our STBs work very well to intergrade OTA into our advanced electronics program guide, which could add many more HD channels, likely more than most cable carriers. The current HD channels are, HBO, SHOWTIME, HD DISCOVERY, ESPN, HD NET, HD NET MOVIES, UNIVERSAL HD (Old Bravo channel) and Special Events and HD PPV.

This summer we are adding TNT, Stars, IN HD and several other HD channels.

DIRECTV delivers all SD channels in a digital format, delivering excellent PQ and audio quality on all channels, not just the premium channels.

DIRECTV DVR-TiVo services are outstanding, like dual tuners, seasons passes, ect.

DIRECTV is launching four new HD satellites, the first is going up nest week, which will position DIRECTV as the premier HD provider for the very near future. DVR rebates, programming incentives and our service make DIRECTV an excellent choice for VOOM customers to consider.

We have switched many VOOM customers who are extremely happy with the reliable hardware, user interface and programming.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Currently, DIRECTV offers ... HBO, SHOWTIME, HD DISCOVERY, ESPN, HD NET, HD NET MOVIES, UNIVERSAL HD (Old Bravo channel) and Special Events and HD PPV.
Well, in my area Adelphia offers all these channels with the exception of UHD. But it also has:

HD STARZ, HD CINEMAX, ESPN2 HD, INHD1, INHD2 and NFL HD.

In addition it has 5 local HD channels, which is important for me as my OTA reception is not always reliable.

DIRECTV DVR-TiVo services are outstanding
With Adelphia I can rent the HD-DVR and I do not need to sign any long-term contracts. So, when another HD-oriented provider arrives I can switch immediately.

DIRECTV is launching four new HD satellites... which will position DIRECTV as the premier HD provider for the very near future.
Call me when it happens! :D
Seriously, I applaud D* for their long-term HD plans. But for now I don't see much choice for myself but to take a shelter with Adelphia until another provider appears with a decent HD lineup. At that time I will switch without hesitation.

Just like to add a balanced response:

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Currently, DIRECTV offers, 9 HD channels through the dish and our STBs work very well to intergrade OTA into our advanced electronics program guide, which could add many more HD channels, likely more than most cable carriers. The current HD channels are, HBO, SHOWTIME, HD DISCOVERY, ESPN, HD NET, HD NET MOVIES, UNIVERSAL HD (Old Bravo channel) and Special Events and HD PPV.

This summer we are adding TNT, Stars, IN HD and several other HD channels.
DirecTV will finally match Cable, but your prices for programming and equipment are still higher...and let's not forget about that 12 month commitment.
DIRECTV delivers all SD channels in a digital format, delivering excellent PQ and audio quality on all channels, not just the premium channels.
PQ is equally poor and HD on Cable is better than the HD-Lite currently being offered by DirecTV at this time.
DIRECTV DVR-TiVo services are outstanding, like dual tuners, seasons passes, ect.
Yes, but the HD DVRs being offered by Cable are getting quite good and have the potential for Whole Home Networking and full-integration with my broadband Internet connection.
DIRECTV is launching four new HD satellites, the first is going up nest week, which will position DIRECTV as the premier HD provider for the very near future.
I've heard these stories before and I'll believe it when I see it. Plus, if you're counting HD LILs as anything more than 7 HD channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS, UPN, WB) then you're arithmetic just doesn't add up. In fact, I will not pay for something that I can freely receive Over-the-Air.
DVR rebates, programming incentives and our service make DIRECTV an excellent choice for VOOM customers to consider.
At present, DirecTV is not a good choice for me nor do I believe it to be a good choice for many VOOM subscribers. Provide all full bitrate HD channels, low-cost MPEG-4 HD DVRs and receivers, and more competitive pricing and I'll be the first to sign up. Of course, that's if Verizon doesn't beat you to the punch.

Tough crowd. We are a large DIRECTV dealer and have switched tens of thousands of cable, Dish and VOOM customers, and one thing that stands out about DIRECTV and especially DIRECTV with our DVR is that I have never had anyone ever leave DIRECTV that has DIRECTV DVR service. Not even one customer.

Over ten thousand ValueElectronics customers and 14 million other families who dropped cable and Dish can't all be wrong. DIRECTV has the lowest churn and fastest growth of any multi-channel provider. Of the 80,000 authorized DIRECTV dealers, ValueEletronics enjoys the honor of being among the top 150 largest dealers in the US and in the top 3 dealers with the lowest churn nationwide.

The one year commitment becomes a non issue once you become a customer as you would never give up the services. You can't fully understand unless you have experienced the product.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Tough crowd. We are a large DIRECTV dealer and have switched tens of thousands of cable, Dish and VOOM customers, and one thing that stands out about DIRECTV and especially DIRECTV with our DVR is that I have never had anyone ever leave DIRECTV that has DIRECTV DVR service. Not even one customer.

-Robert

Perhaps because they spent close to $1000.00 on the box??? Ya think this might just have a little to do with it??? That and they are locked in for at least a year.

Directv also can't match what adelphia is offering me. Complete package (just signed up) including HD-DVR and ALL channels = 81.15/mo., no contracts. They currently have more HD than direct, and I don't have to shell out a thousand dollars for a dvr. Directv can't match this.

I don't dislike directv but their HD is pretty slim right now, the programming is more expensive, and the hardware would cost me close to a grand. Even without the DVR, direct still has less HD and is more expensive. I already own a regular directv HD receiver but even so, adelphia's offer is still better than anything directv can do.

The low churn statistics are calculated from my first day as a dealer, which is more than 8 years ago. The DIRECTV HD DVR is $850. and in most of the US, DIRECTV programming when fairly compared, is lower then almost all cable carriers.

Some other major draws are the NFL season ticket, which is a DIRECTV exclusive. DIRECTV has over 250 NFL games in HD.

DIRECTV switches more than 5,000 customer every day from cable. Cable gets back a tiny percent of DIRECTV customers.

Just to prove the superior product and value of DIRECTV if any one of you die hard cable guys want to give me a call to jump ship I will give you a crazy deal. What I want in return is your honest evaluation and posting your feelings on this thread for all to read. Just call me. Scott, Ilya or lostcause how about one of you?

-Robert

Robert, thanks for the offer! I'll keep it mind ;)
No one here (at SatelliteGuys) is a die hard cable guy, trust me! In fact, most of the posters in this thread hate Adelphia from our past experiences and have contributed to that churn rate by switching to VOOM and other DBS providers. It's actually sad that Adelphia is our best choice today. But the matter of fact is that it is the best choice for many of us if HD is our top priority.

Double the number of HD channels, introduce the DVR rental, drop the 1 year contract requirement, improve the HD quality, reduce the price - then you will be on par with what Adelphia offers today!

Churn rate? Who cares? I am not planning on staying with the cable company for too long either. I am pretty sure that another provider will emerge with a good HD lineup within a year or two. D*? E*? SBC? Verizon? I don't know. But I am sure it's going to happen. HD is coming! It's only a matter of time now. VOOM has opened the door for us, if only for a short time. It gave us a taste, a preview of what's coming. And now we know exactly what to look for and what to demand from other providers. Whoever offers the best HD lineup wins my business from now on. Today it is Adelphia (second to VOOM of course). But if tomorrow it will be D* I'll sure give you a call! ;)

I'll pretty much echo what Ilya said. I'm not a fan of adelphia by any means. I had them before and switched to directv (before I knew anything about HD). When I switched to directv I even bought a 500.00 HD box since their HD was free. Then they started charging for the 4 measly channels that had always been free. Anyways, I switched to voom for more hd, not because I was unhappy with directv. For standard tv, directv is fine. For HD though, they have fallen behind even adelphia which is known to be the worst cable company in the US. That's pretty sad if you ask me. $850.00 for a dvr is not pocket change for most people. For HD, directv is simply not competitive. Basically as Ilya said, "Double the number of HD channels, introduce the DVR rental, drop the 1 year contract requirement, improve HD quality, reduce the price - then you will be on par with what Adelphia offers today!"

Offer me the full channel lineup and an HD-DVR for 80.00/mo, and I'll tell my condo association to stuff it and put up a dish no matter what they say. Believe me, I would love to not have to deal with adelphia.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Just to prove the superior product and value of DIRECTV if any one of you die hard cable guys want to give me a call to jump ship I will give you a crazy deal. What I want in return is your honest evaluation and posting your feelings on this thread for all to read. Just call me. Scott, Ilya or lostcause how about one of you?

I honestly can not imagine I will get anywhere near the crazy offer that I am getting from Comcast or even the one I had from Voom. Even leaving aside the fact that both offer more HD than D*.

Voom provided me 3 HD STB's and installation for an up front cost of $1 dollar with only a six month commit.

Comcast is leasing me the dual-tuner DH DVR for $9.99 per month with two additional HD boxes at $0 per month. They are also taking $25 per month off the regular rate for the "platinum" package for 16 months. There is no comitment of any sort.

Are you telling me that D* can even come close in terms of an offer? I have to confess that I am skeptical.

I was an original E* customer way back before they even had local channels. Back then I thought dbs was great, and compared to what was then offered by cable it was great. When I moved I went back to cable and could honestly say I had no qualms. However, I remembered how good E* was and just assumed that they too had advanced in 3 years. I hooked back up with E* and, to my surprise, was completely underwhelmed. The locals looked awful, the technology had not advanced, the cost advantage was gone, and the only thing I saw added were lots more shopping channels. I then discovered Voom and realized the same thrill that had once belonged to satellite, I would have been a Voom customer for many years. I actually paid the early termination fee to E* and was glad to be rid of them despite having once been a big advocate. Cable has come a long way in the past few years. With the exception of Voom, satellite has lost its advantage in almost every arena including cost.

Ditto. In the past, I served on my local Cable Commission and can't stand Adelphia. I tried my best not to sign up with them, but facts are facts...they offer the most HD, a low-cost HD DVR and their bundled savings can't be touched by any DBS provider. I will gladly sign up with DirecTV---and even purchase a HD DVR---once they offer a complete HD lineup.

In western PA, Adelphia offers a grand total of 3 HD channels. the 2 HDNEts and ESPNHD. That's it. No locals because none of the locals can broadcast HD except the PBS stations and they don't carry that. That is why I am investigating the Canadian option. Howerever, I think I will hold and see what E* or D* might do in the short term.

geese gutter you must live way up in the boonies.. Which town and whats the population like 300?? Haven't read a post where adelphia is offering anything less than 10 hd channels in every city they provide in...

With all due respect DTV...GEEZ the vultures are circling at the smell of fresh kill!!! IN EVERY thread I have either read, posted or started....the D* or E* salesman are all over the place. It's almost like getting tons of calls from marketers at home......getting me dizzy!!!!

salsadancer7 said:
With all due respect DTV...GEEZ the vultures are circling at the smell of fresh kill!!! IN EVERY thread I have either read, posted or started....the D* or E* salesman are all over the place. It's almost like getting tons of calls from marketers at home......getting me dizzy!!!!

I personally don't mind. Let's see what the have to offer, but ultimately the facts speak for themselves and neither direct or echo has yet come close to what most cable companies are offering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts