Any new installs get elliptical dish?

who_the

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 18, 2004
San Francisco, Calif.
My confirmation e-mail said installation will include an "18-inch or elliptical satellite antenna on an exterior structure..."

Is the elliptical language new, and might I actually be getting one? Of particular interest as a West Coaster too.

I've spoken with my installer but forgot to ask about the dish. My first install was canceled, but after about 90 minutes combined on-hold over two days with Voom and Installs, got rescheduled (same day, diff. time) and talked to my actual installer.

Meanwhile, my Voom anticipation is growing unbearable... Missed two of my all-time favorite movies on Cinema last night, Dawn of the Dead and Straight, No Chaser. I hope these are frequent repeats. :)

who_the said:
My confirmation e-mail said installation will include an "18-inch or elliptical satellite antenna on an exterior structure..."

Is the elliptical language new, and might I actually be getting one? Of particular interest as a West Coaster too.
Installs Inc. had been using this verbiage in their canned installation e-mail for at least the past month. I don't know of anyone who has actually received an elliptical dish...if you're out there, speak up.

A co-worker just had his install yesterday and he said his dish is slightly elliptical (top to bottom, not side to side like my D* elliptical) and has two LNBs. I haven't gone over to see it yet, but I plan to. I wonder when existing customers will start getting them?

It will likely be similar to the Dish Network Dish500, although it may use the 22Khz tone switch, and the lnb/switch unit may be integrated like the head on a DirecTV Phase III dish.

Mo-D said:
A co-worker just had his install yesterday and he said his dish is slightly elliptical (top to bottom, not side to side like my D* elliptical) and has two LNBs. I haven't gone over to see it yet, but I plan to. I wonder when existing customers will start getting them?

The ellipitcal dishes will be longer on left to right not top to bottom. I have an upgrade dish and mine is longer top to bottom. So this isn't the dish, I think.

I know the Direc elliptical with triple lnb will work. I had one set up and the installer reaimed it and got a 98 signal. Then he said it wont work because it has a built-in diplexer and the locals wont work. So he took it down and stuck the regular Voom dish in its place and all is well. :)

I went by mt friends house tonight and the dish he had installed is the bigger dish for rain fade and is a single LNB. It is not the new multi satellite dish. It was dark so I could not get a picture. It's definitely bigger than my dish though.

I have a 30-inch dish on my roof from Voom for rain fade. Maybe on the mods can link my pictures to this post.

got voom install

this is dishboy
i did not get the elliptical dish it was 18 inch dish install.my voom was install
0n 12-29-04 in moring.it was a good install, i got all my local hdtv channels ,i did not use their antenna.i use antenna i have it is a
TELEVES PRO 75.
i live in southren ill in a litte town call vienna ill.
THIS WAS A GOOD INSTALL .
thank you for voom and all this voom forum in this post :)

jimmykce1 said:
I have a 30-inch dish on my roof from Voom for rain fade. Maybe on the mods can link my pictures to this post.

How do you like that 30" dish? I have a 24" because of rain, and it IS a lot better than the 18". It is working pretty well but late last night a couple channels stuttered a bit in the heavy rain.

Did you ever have a 24"?

I am curious to hear about your experience.

THANKS!
--Dan

Installation appointment came and went today. No call, no show. TV comes in tomorrow too. Bummer, all SD bowl games, New Year's, etc. Boo hoo.

Happy New Year! So.... My install goes well today (tonight), ended about 8:30 PT. Installer calls Voom to activate the box and... the "activation" department has gone home, and I'll need to wait until Monday to get activated!

Seemed pretty darned unfair, not just to me, but to my installer, who worked very late -- on New Year's Day, no less -- just to be told no dice.

Voom gave me a $25 credit because of the delay, which helps somewhat. But it's upsetting nonetheless.

Hey, "who_the"

That is a bummer! But on the bright side you must have one heck of an installer! That may be useful should you need any service calls--we'll hope that you don't.

Watching HDTV under clear cold Seattle skies, Gill

Guys, had a very happy ending to my install, including some truly excellent customer service from 1-800-GET-VOOM -- after a bit of a rocky start.

Apparently there was some sort of inventory problem with my boxes, and which installer they were assigned to. When I called today, the woman (nicely) told me I needed to call back tomorrow, when my problem could be resolved. Assuming, however, that my installer had called Installs, Inc. to re-register the boxes under his account or something like that. I asked her "what if he doesn't call in tomorrow?" And she said "Well... then there are some things we can do to activate the boxes anyway." So I said "How about if we just do those things now, so I don't have to worry about this tomorrow?"

She declined, but I (nicely) asked to speak with a supervisor.

The guy I got was awesome. Took all my S/N's and smart card numbers, called Installs, straightened out whatever needed to happen, and got me authorized and watching in about 1/2 hour. He was knowledgeable, polite, and had the authority to act. Bam.

Over the course of the day I had to call back a couple of times. My box froze during updating, and I wasn't sure if resetting it was wise at the time. CSR told me it was fine and walked me through. Instant answer, no hold, even initially. Very good.

And we were so busy oooh-ing and aah-ing over the VOOM channels that I didn't even notice that all the other channels (ESPN, etc.) were just showing as black. So, once again, I called, and the CSR walked me through a fix, AND took time to notice my other boxes didn't look quite right (they weren't, unbeknownst to me) and walked through fixes.

With so many negatives floating around, thought I'd throw something positive into the mix. (And I'm no Dolan or employee; if I was, maybe I wouldn't have had to go through the cancellations and box problems in the first place.)

Cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts