Any news on future Hoppers/DVR's yet?

It would be great if someone did an audit of Alan's 1,218 posts to see if there are any that aren't 1) asking for more HD 2) asking for more apps or 3) Saying he was sorry for asking for either 1 or 2. My guess is there are no more than 10 that don't fit into the above.

Reactions: Hall
Ahh yes now I remember about the new UI that was debuted earlier this year. How close are we to getting it on the hoppers?

I have maintained August since the release note at CES. Just makes sense. Although, I would release a little earlier when no new shows are on to help with the learning curve that is guaranteed to take place.

I have to agree, that the current UI on the Hopper is getting old now. I was looking at mine the other night and I was thinking about it and was saying yeah it looks nice but it looks out of date now. So I am looking forward to the carbon interface.

As far as a new Hopper goes, if I were a betting man I would expect to see a new Hopper at CES. While I have not heard anything I would expect it to be a Super Hopper. With built in 4K Support, MORE Tuners, a larger hard drive (Maybe 3 or 4 TB) a unit that can take DISH through the next 10 years without an issue. Of course I do not expect the Super Hopper to be for everyone at launch. I am sure there will be requirements for people to upgrade to one. But as 4K TV become more common I see more people getting one.

DISH luckily has always been known to be on the bleeding edge and really the only upgrade I can see coming within 10 years is a final speck on MPEG 5. Some consider HEVC to be MPEG 5 but I am told its not, its just an early spec version. So we will see where that going. But again I would expect to see a new Hopper at CES. (And of course SatelliteGuys will be there to show you first. :))

A hopper with 4K support would be nice & I would look at upgrading. Wonder how much of an increase that would be?

I have to agree, that the current UI on the Hopper is getting old now. I was looking at mine the other night and I was thinking about it and was saying yeah it looks nice but it looks out of date now. So I am looking forward to the carbon interface.

As far as a new Hopper goes, if I were a betting man I would expect to see a new Hopper at CES. While I have not heard anything I would expect it to be a Super Hopper. With built in 4K Support, MORE Tuners, a larger hard drive (Maybe 3 or 4 TB) a unit that can take DISH through the next 10 years without an issue. Of course I do not expect the Super Hopper to be for everyone at launch. I am sure there will be requirements for people to upgrade to one. But as 4K TV become more common I see more people getting one.

DISH luckily has always been known to be on the bleeding edge and really the only upgrade I can see coming within 10 years is a final speck on MPEG 5. Some consider HEVC to be MPEG 5 but I am told its not, its just an early spec version. So we will see where that going. But again I would expect to see a new Hopper at CES. (And of course SatelliteGuys will be there to show you first. :))

A hopper with 4K support would be nice & I would look at upgrading. Wonder how much of an increase that would be?

I still think that 4k is a fad or gimmick to sell more tvs. I don't see the networks ever rushing to do 4k ota or even to sat or cable companies. Besides , they will be on to the next fad 8k by the time there is any movement towards another change in the broadcast standard. HD is fine for me and I don't see me upgrading again till next decade.

Reactions: dodger72
NBC and Comcast are working on 4K.

Many of the shows on NBC now are shot on 4K. Comcast has a 4K app on Samsung TV's where you can watch these shows in 4K.

I still think that 4k is a fad or gimmick to sell more tvs. I don't see the networks ever rushing to do 4k ota or even to sat or cable companies. Besides , they will be on to the next fad 8k by the time there is any movement towards another change in the broadcast standard. HD is fine for me and I don't see me upgrading again till next decade.

That's because the new 4K UHDTVs do the job for you,they upconvert all the signals they receive.:oldsmile2

Well then, "HD" programming isn't necessary either -- HDTVs will upconvert 480p programming to 720p/1080i/p too ;)

My Bluray player does,but my 1080p HDTV never upconverted the signal received.My Dish receiver did,upconverted all signals to 1080i or 1080p PPV,but now with the 4K UHDTV that I have all my signals,Satellite,OTA,Bluray,streaming apps like UTube all look better now than when I would view them on my 1080p HTDV.
Are the new 4K UHDTVs worth it? I would have to say Yes.:oldsmile2

That's because the new 4K UHDTVs do the job for you,they upconvert all the signals they receive.:oldsmile2
But does the upconversion look good on your tv? I know that I had an upconverting HDTV back in the early part of the last decade and my sd sat receiver looked unwatchable on that tv. I actually got Best buy to come out and take the tv back ,because the over all proportion of tv watching back then was still Sd. IF the 4k upconversion shows all the flaws in an hd sat picture , I would have the same situation all over again.

My Bluray player does,but my 1080p HDTV never upconverted the signal received

Unless you were sending it something 1080p all the time (native or upconverted elsewhere), then the tv did do some conversion to the signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)