BBC News Moving to Streaming Only

You bring up a good point here. Perhaps the BBC 'satellite' contract is ending and Dish and BBC didn't come to terms on a new one. So, Dish already having a streaming contract with Sling (remember Sling and Dish are the same company) they are going forward that way. This way DISH doesn't have to pay BBC twice for the same content.
They are not paying twice, it is paid by a per sub fee, just like all channels are, so how many get it on Dish, how many get it on Sling.

There is no streaming only BBC News, the app now is a TV Everywhere app-

In the US, BBC News is available with a range of television service providers. Some of our programmes are also available on PBS.

If you do not currently receive BBC News, please contact your service provider to request it

Reactions: charlesrshell
While the Traditional Channel is not ending, it is now available for free-

BBC News is coming to streaming via a free ad-supported TV channel that's launching on a handful of major FAST services and CTV platforms.

At launch the new 24-7 live FAST news channel is initially available on free streaming services including Paramount’s Pluto TV, Xumo Play, Plex, Dish’s Sling Freestream, as well as smart TV OEM FAST services Samsung TV Plus and Vizio’s WatchFree+.

The BBC News channel will continue to be distributed by major traditional pay TV and virtual MVPD providers including DirecTV, Comcast, Charter, Dish, YouTube TV and Philo. BBC said the FAST channel launch is complementary to this traditional distribution, however, notably, a spokesperson confirmed the FAST channel is porting the same content from its traditional cable channel over to the free streaming feed.

So it sounds more like in reality what happened is Dish didn't renew their agreement to carry the linear version of BBC News (unless they didn't give them that option), but did agree to carry the "Free" streaming version I'm sure at a much lower rate.

So it sounds more like in reality what happened is Dish didn't renew their agreement to carry the linear version of BBC News (unless they didn't give them that option), but did agree to carry the "Free" streaming version I'm sure at a much lower rate.

Nope this is something. bc was planning on doing for awhile now. They are doing this with all providers. It’s a free streaming channel now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I didn’t have the channel before, and now I do, so I don’t mind. I find Dish streaming kind of flaky though. My internet connection is 300/300 so I’m not sure why.

Reactions: charlesrshell