Moving HOPPER 3 RECEIVER to another room

CMJAnew

Original poster
Jan 5, 2024
I just had a HOPPER 3 with two joeys installed. These replace an older style DISH receiver with two additional rooms.
The tech put the HOPPER 3 receiver in my office (running the cable through a window).
I want to move the receiver to the living room where the original was.Attached are pics of the “hybrid solo hub” and the back of the HOPPER 3 receiver.
When looking at the HUB….the dish is to the right and the cable to the house is the left. It runs the entire length of the house — the original went through the siding.
My questions; what can I do to make switch?

Also, if I decide the room switch is beyond my comfort zone. Can I keep the current set-up (but disconnect to reroute the cable) without major set-up issues?

Attachments

• IMG_1094.jpeg
    IMG_1094.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1095.jpeg
    IMG_1095.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: LQQK
As I’m contemplating what to do…..I see the installer used the co-ax I have labeled “in from dish” to hook up the living room Joey - if that helps with my questioning

You have to make sure you change on the switch itself, the coax leading to what was the joey with the one that is now going to the hopper. Make the swap and you should be fine. The incoming line from the satellite dish doesn't need to be changed at all. It is easy to do.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You have to make sure you change on the switch the coax leading to what is now the hopper with the one that was going to the joey. Make the swap and you should be fine. The incoming line from the satellite dish doesn't need to be changed at all. It is easy to do.
That is correct. I have to wonder why the tech changed the location of the Hopper. Perhaps the coax to the original location is an older RG-59 rather than the required RG-6.

I just had a HOPPER 3 with two joeys installed. These replace an older style DISH receiver with two additional rooms.
The tech put the HOPPER 3 receiver in my office (running the cable through a window).
I want to move the receiver to the living room where the original was.Attached are pics of the “hybrid solo hub” and the back of the HOPPER 3 receiver.
When looking at the HUB….the dish is to the right and the cable to the house is the left. It runs the entire length of the house — the original went through the siding.
My questions; what can I do to make switch?

Also, if I decide the room switch is beyond my comfort zone. Can I keep the current set-up (but disconnect to reroute the cable) without major set-up issues?
Whoever installed that with the connections pointing vertically needs a good smack! You'll have severe water infiltration before Spring gets here.
Good GOD shoddy work infuriates me and running a cable through a window is the epitome of laziness.

I'd get a request for a manager to return, or a Senior Tech that can do it right.
That is terrible. I'd call Dish and proclaim yourself an elevated case/customer

That is correct. I have to wonder why the tech changed the location of the Hopper. Perhaps the coax to the original location is an older RG-59 rather than the required RG-6.
The replaced system was definitly older. I believe he ran ‘new’ cable from the dish to the hub. And definitely from the hub to the Hopper. The cables going to the joeys were existing. He ran HDMI cables from the joeys to the TVs

Whoever installed that with the connections pointing vertically needs a good smack! You'll have severe water infiltration before Spring gets here.
Good GOD shoddy work infuriates me and running a cable through a window is the epitome of laziness.

I'd get a request for a manager to return, or a Senior Tech that can do it right.
We have weather coming. I guess I’ll reposition the hub and cover it for now.

The replaced system was definitly older. I believe he ran ‘new’ cable from the dish to the hub. And definitely from the hub to the Hopper. The cables going to the joeys were existing. He ran HDMI cables from the joeys to the TVs
The
You have to make sure you change on the switch itself, the coax leading to what was the joey with the one that is now going to the hopper. Make the swap and you should be fine. The incoming line from the satellite dish doesn't need to be changed at all. It is easy to do.
the old system had a receiver and one auxiliary (without a box but able to record on) and another box that had no recording capabilities). Every time I called about something the first response was; “I see you have outdated equipment….you‘re eligible for our Hopper upgrade”

Oh, once he got through the window with the “flat” union, the coax to the HOPPER is the old cable that went to the box that did not have recording capabilities.

Repl

reply to myself; he did NOT run new cable from the dish to the hub.….only from the hub to the window.

This may or may not be important — the system is a TWO DISH system. I have a dish to get the simulcast feeds from North American horse race tracks.

I had exact same thoughts and was getting ready to post the same comments but then see you beat me to it lol.
There's plenty of cable to move that to the right side of penetration and have the cable angle down. And get rid of the diplexor with cable hanging off. Uggh I'm so pissed looking at that picture lol.
Makes me so mad rolling up on jobs like this or even just seeing it on houses I'm not even working on.

I had exact same thoughts and was getting ready to post the same comments but then see you beat me to it lol.
There's plenty of cable to move that to the right side of penetration and have the cable angle down. And get rid of the diplexor with cable hanging off. Uggh I'm so pissed looking at that picture lol.
Makes me so mad rolling up on jobs like this or even just seeing it on houses I'm not even working on.
I'm telling you!
I have tons of pics of garbage work I've had to reinstall