Any suggestions on a budget minded, FTA setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bouncy64

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
The Great White North
Ok here goes.
I need suggestions for a budget minded free to air setup. This has to be done on a budget, retirment gives you lots of time but not always alot of cash to work with, hence the term "budget" lol.
The area that this set-up will be done, in general geographic terms will be located in the extreme southern ontario. I have an open sky in which to work with, at least from near horizon as the dish will be located on a TV tower, but will be located approx. 25 feet up the tower, tower heighth is 50 feet(free stander), but due to physical limitations, It needs to be accessable from a ladder. I can get around, just not too well, and only for a limited duration. There are no trees that will block the view, or buildings either from either side, I have an open sky to work with :)
I haven't totally decided on the size of dish to use yet, so I would appriciate some suggestions on the dish also.
But the basis of any good set-up, I have read, is the motor. I need a motor that will be as durable as possible, as the winds in this area can strip out gears in a large TV antenna rotor, let alone what the wind will be like for a dish. Because this won't just be used for entertainment reasons but testing as well. So at times it could be driven quite a bit back and forth.
I have read in these forums that a 2100 motor will need to have the relays replaced, as if you use it too much for driving back and forth, they can fail, and need to be replaced, with a more heavy duty set of relays.
If I can get a good heavy duty motor that is very durable, and built strong as well, Due to the enviromental factors, but don't cost an arm and leg to buy. I know I am looking for alot, but at the same time, I don't want to have to buy a motor every couple of months either.
So in review;
1) I need suggestions on a good, durable, long life motor, that don't cost an arm and a leg.

2) Suggestions on a good dish, as I would like to be able to use the dish for testing, so it will need to pull the weak transponders in.

3) Suggestions on an LNB, will have to allow both linear, as well as circular reception.

I thought that this would be a better place to ask these questions, as there is an abundance of people who will give an honest opinion, rather than to talk to a salesman in a store that will only try to sell you the most expensive, and would only be one persons opinion, instead of many. Also keeping in mind this has to be done on a budget also. If it takes me 2 or 3 months to be able to get all the nessasary equipment then so be it, I would rather do that then comprimize what I hope to be a very solid build that will last, and perform.
At the present time I have the choice of the only two recievers I presently own which are the Coolsat 5000, and a Sonicview 360 Elite.

And to make this absolutly clear, this setup will be used only for FTA, not anything illegal as my betterhalf would be holding my family jewels if I even suggested doing something illegal.
Even a suggestion, if there is a better reciever is not out of the question, but I thought I would let you's know what I had for recievers as far as recievers goes, if it helps to decide what motors and dishes and lnb's are going to be used. For the most part I will be using the set-up for testing and for use in the "Doghouse", formerly known as the garage, the tower it will be placed on is at the back of the garage and presently has 2 stationary dishes(which the "new" moterized dish will be replacing), a large OTA antenna and a Antron99(omni directional antenna), that is used for Ham radio/ scanner(when not used for the ham radio).
In advance, I will thank-you for the suggestions, as I am more than willing to provide pictures of the setup once it is completed. As well as what can be recieved. Being more or less in the middle of the country, with an open sky should yeild some rather good results hopfully.
With the present dishes, some recycled(given to me) 18 inch BEV dishes, and 2 old Starchoice dishes(oval 33inch by 28 or 26 inches high) one old Star Choice "beercan" lnb, and a newer square SC linear lnb(came with the dishes when I had them given to me). I have had very limited performance, and results. So it is time I installed somthing that is going to do what I am hoping to be able to do, basically enjoy this FTA hobbie, instead of getting frustrated with what I presently have for equipment. As it has been said, and I have learned, if your going to do somthing, do it right, or not at all. :)
Thanks again for your suggestions, they will be put to good use. As well this might be able to be used by more people than just me as there are many that probly know what they want to do, just don't know what they should get for equipment and good bang for there buck so to speak.:up

I ought to just skip this because of the difficulty of resolving "budget" with top end performance, but , of course, I won't. :)
Based on being in Southern Ontario, I'd recommend a 1.2M ku dish.
Based on needing both linear and circular polarity , the Invacom QPH-031 comes to mind.
Based on handling a heavy dish, I trust the STAB HH-120 motor over any other. ( but it is much slower than any other) .
The dish would be from SatteliteAV, GeoSatPro 1.2M, Satellite AV - Free to Air Satellite Equipment Distributors - GEOSATpro, Glorystar 888-483-4673 .
I don't know where I'd buy the STAB motor, Sadoun used to carry the STAB line but no longer.
I'd get the Invacom QPH031, from Sadoun, QPH-031 Invacom 0.3dB DBS and VSAT LNBs plus VSAT Ku Band Transmitters - BUCs, Receive Satellite TV, Quad CP LP 2-way Satellite communications .

The CS5000 receiver that you already have will do nicely.
:)
I think that up a tower would be the last place ( other than my roof) I'd put a motorized dish, because I'm always going out to mine to do something or another. Think about that , and how you like climbing the tower once a week. :)

I agree with Brent, No need to have that dish 25' up on a tower even. I'd have that thing on the ground especially given the fact you are in Canada, Must get real cold there.
Remember, The satellites are 22K miles in space, 25' up on a tower will not make a differance unless you decided to put it on a tower because of a line of site issue.

I agree with Brent, No need to have that dish 25' up on a tower even. I'd have that thing on the ground especially given the fact you are in Canada, Must get real cold there.
Remember, The satellites are 22K miles in space, 25' up on a tower will not make a differance unless you decided to put it on a tower because of a line of site issue.

I agree. I used to have my dish on top of a shed accessible with an 8' ladder and I couldn't stand that. I finally moved it to a pole that was accessible from the ground. I'd mount it as low as possible if there's no LOS issue. (although, there's something cool about a dish on a tower. I'd put a fixed one up there just for fun!)

Go with a 1.2 meter you will not regret it. I had a Stabb HH-120 and it worked great for many years and finally died. Due to price I went with WSI's new 9120[I think that is the model] and so far it has been great,alot faster than the HH120 also.Time will tell as I have only had it for a month.Your CS5000 is my choice for blind scanning and motor control. If you use a dual output LNB and have a fairly new computer consider a TT3200 for your HD and S-2 needs.The learning curve can be a little steep but it pays off in the end.

It is possible to find one of those Primestar 1.2 meter dishes somewhere that someone want to get rid of.
It is not hard to get it since the pole isn't deep. I own several dishes that was given to me.
Brent pretty much sum up what motors and LNBs would work.
I have no problems with the SG 2100 motors. Just have to create lighter mount because of weight issues.

If you're retired you have time, scrounge around the country for used dishes. Many 4+ foot dishes can be had for the asking and the time it takes to remove them. It's getting late in the season for mounting a post, but with our late fall you still may have some time. A post in the ground is by far the BEST way to mount a dish. Your money can then be used for good recievers and switches. Read the post on what has been and can be done, some very innovative members have come up with some very impressive projects.

what I'd do:

- Coolsat 5000 is excellent choice. May want to get updated FTA 3rd party firmware
- real Invacom QPH-031 and not clone, but I don't see circular worth the cost when a good single or dual output linear LNB will cost 1/3rd the price!
- surplus 48" dish is the thing to scrounge for, molded with ribs on the back side!
- motor: maybe a STAB 120, or what about the DG380? , but NOT a 2100!
- big pipe into some cement; ground mount the dish about chest-high, so you don't have to use a ladder

Look for a satellite dealer or installer in your area using the yellow pages. They often have used dishes Lnb's etc and the price is right. Check ads on Craig's list and kijijihttp://www.satelliteguys.us/search?q=kijiji&FORM=AWRE. My set up is used Pansat 3500s $25.00. 31" dish $30.00 , 2 lnb's $10.00 each. I installed them low on a tv tower and first used a circular lnb to set up on Nimig 1 at 91 W just to see if things were working. I then switched to standard Lnb and set up for Gal 17 at 97 W. It is best to use a fixed dish at the beginning to simplify things. Take the receiver and a small tv outside to the dish for set up. I am also in Ontario close to the Bay of Quinte and we have winds too, but my dish low on the tower is shielded by our house. Recently I have installed a 2100 motor and disequc switch and thanks to help I got on this forum can track from 61 w to 125 w. I used echo Star 4 at 77 W since I am at long 77 W for my south most satellite. We watch 125 W a lot, PBS has a lot of interesting programs for us old retired geezers,Good luck!!

Any suggestions on a budget minded, FTA setup

All of your suggestions are very muchly appriciated, just to add a couple more things, after reading your posts, I don't own I rent, so the post is out of the question, all ready asked the land lord, my idea was to use a mounting plate, mounted just above the roof line of the garage on the tower, A tad lower than my initial 25 feet but not by much, and I can park my butt on the roof, and still reach the dish to work on it.
The tower is a free stander, but is very solidly mounted too the back of the garage, as well as buried about 3 to 4 feet in the ground, and also used the ground stakes(3footers) to add a little bit more, no concrete though, but the tower does not move, and can be removed if/when I ever have to move. With using a back plate to mount the dish too, instead of the actual tower, that will stablize it that much more, the land lord is adament that I not attach to roof, and kids in the area have a bad habit of "re-arranging" dishes that are with in easy reach. I think in the last year the one fellow on the corner with his mounted on the porch, I have had to help him re-align it about 5 or so times. I had done a little research on my own, but talking to people who actually use the products is by far better than any sales spec. sheet.
The dish I still havent decided on totally, I understand the bigger the capture area, the better. I am a rather resourceful individual, when need be, so again I thank you for all the suggestions for resources, eg. kajiji, and also taking a good drive in the country, talking to the local dealer as well, he is a pretty good individual, compared to some dealers from the city I have spoken too, and didn't have the time of day, let alone take the time to chat(at least the 2 I came across). If you weren't waving a hundred dollar bill in their face to get their attention, they weren't chattin. lol
-The LNB will at this time be the Invacom QPH-031, But I will look into the TT3200
-A 1.2 M dish sounds good though, which is in the 4 ft. ball park 'I was thinking about, but I have to do some searching to see what I can scrounge, or I will buy new, so like I stated that isn't totally fixed yet.
-I have aluminum plate all ready, 3ft.x3ft. 1/4 inch thick, left over from helping to build a couple of trailers a while back.

And brentb636, I am glad you took the time. As well as all of your suggestions. Input on projects are always invaluble, especially to newbies, and even an ol'e newbie, like myself too, as well as all the other suggestions as well.
If there are any more suggestions then please do so, all of your individual expierences are not taken for granted, and all will be concidered, and is very muchly appreciated.Many-Many Thank you's To All !!!!:) :up :)

If you're handy with a welder you could build a non penetrating roof mount out of some angle iron and pipe. Weigh down with cinder blocks and mount on your roof or lawn

check local car dealers for dishes. a lot of them will be closing down. also keep an eye on kijiji.

Invacom QPH031 is nice but not exactly for somebody on a budget. A good linear LNB with a cheap/free circular LNB ziptied to the side for Nasa and Ion would be just as good. also less likely to be a target for thieves

- Coolsat 5000 is excellent choice. May want to get updated FTA 3rd party firmware

Ummm... did I miss something significant here, or are you just talking about the last bug fix in what was it - September or so?

In any event, I do like the Coolsat 5000 for the budget role and a non-penetrating mount for the yard. That way if you want to test various locations before a final concrete pipe installation, you're all set.

Measure twice, cut once as the tradesmen used to say.

Any suggestions on a budget minded, FTA setup

Thank-you for the updated file Iceberg, it's very muchly appreciated, I wasn't aware of these updated ones. :)

no problem

This is one of those 3rd party softwares that we have no issues with since it fixed a couple issues with the factory firmware. And it gets only what its suppose to :)

Yikes! I'm cringing at the thought of being on a ladder lugging a 1.2M dish up a 25 foot tower. From what I've seen people generally go up when they can't get a clear view of the sky.. but sounds like you already have that so if there is any way you can work out a ground mount system (even a tripod that has "feet" you fasten with stakes could work) I think you will thank yourself later! :)

If you absolutely, positively must mount your dish on the tower then here are my suggestions:

- Find a dish that has a fine elevation adjustment built into its mount - that is a long bolt that you turn to tilt the dish up or down. It gives the precision you need to adjust the dish with one hand while steadying yourself on the ladder with the other hand.

- The higher up you go the more wind loads become an issue - a molded dish with a ribbed back will maintain your signal quality when its windy.

- I'm not sure what kind of tower it is but make sure that tower is super solid such that it wont bend or wobble with the weight of the dish plus any added forces from high winds.

- Since you want to motorize the dish make sure the surface on the tower where you mount the dish is perfectly plumb - if not then it will not properly track the satellite arc in the sky.

- Consider the shape of the tower and where you have to mount the dish on it. If you have a square, 4-post tower for example and you mount it on one of the sides instead of one of the corner posts then you may have clearance problems with the back of the dish hitting the tower and limiting your ability to see the whole satellite arc.

Lots of luck to you - please post some pictures of your project if you can. Its always fun to see how it all comes together.

- Rob

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)