Anybody using a Openbox with a SG2100 motor?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know a lot of folks have the openbox but I havent found anyone yet who is using a SG2100 with it.
Not sure this is the best place to report what I just discovered. I use an S9 with SG2100 and a universal LNB set for 10600 and 22kHz ON so I only blind scan the high band. Here is what I just read on another forum: "With S9/S10, when using DiseqC 1.2 motor controls and manually “bumping” the motor position, the signal meter cuts out on vertical, making it difficult to impossible to peak on vertical transponders."

I just tested this. And this is the cure to the problem I've experienced for a long time but never knew why. I could never manually bump my dish in diseqc mode to fine tune on some satellites. On other satellites I could. Now when I check, this has always occurred on vertical polarity tps. The signal would disappear and never come back as soon as I bumped the dish one time. So my solution is to simply tune a horizontal tp and then fine tune. Problem solved, as long as there is an active horizontal tp.

please not the original post was made over a year ago and there has some upgrades software wise on the S10 ;)

Sorry to continue this but whatever updates they have done to the S9/S10 this V tp bumping issue with an sg2100 has not yet been resolved.

While ideal to bump using an H tp, the other alternative when an H tp is not available is to bump the V tp, then change the selected tp by one and then back to the original which restores the meter. (then bump and repeat). This would seem to be a circuitry/power supply issue, not firmware, as you are forcing the 13v pulse for the V tp when you flip tp's while the 18v pulse on the H works fine. And maybe the type of LNB matters, but with my universal this is a persistent issue and I don't think it is an LNB issue..

universal uses 22khz,the standard ku doesn't.That's the problem.
I still had the problem with any firmware that's why I switched to standard ku.
Actually there is no need to use a universal lnb here,that was a euro thing and
many dishes were bundled with universal lnbs years ago because they were cheaper.

universal uses 22khz,the standard ku doesn't.That's the problem.

Perhaps but if this is only an OpenBox issue, then its not the LNB type that the root problem. Don't think there is any other STB that can't properly function using a universal LNB. A feasible work around may be to use a standard lnb to accomodate issues with the S9/S10 but that does seem to be the tail wagging the dog. And if it is systemic with the Openbox, then curious how they would sell many units in Europe if it can't work with a universal. I think the issue comes back to the power supply and circuitry being weak and perhaps our cable runs being longer here than in Europe. Maybe the Openbox works really well with 10 feet of cable, not 100 feet, regardless of the LNB. When an Openbox crashes and reboots with a long cable run but works better and better as the cable run gets shorter, seems like the root cause is quite evident. Don't know the answer but is it also possible a good standard LNB causes less line loss than a cheap universal so thats the impact of the change and not the 22 khz?

I have an original Solomend, which is a S9 before it was called that, the problem with vertical transponder started when they changed the firmware to allow the motor and switch to work at the same time back in mid 2010. Also a lot people in Europe don't need to run motors and switches at the same time due to all the FTA they have. Just look at any of the positions on LyngSat, if I had all those sats in one location I wouldn't need to run my dish 150 degrees across the arc to get my fill of TV.

Also a lot people in Europe don't need to run motors and switches at the same time due to all the FTA they have.

precisely why they need motorized and many have quad universal lnbs with multiple receivers hooked up.Their forums have their share of complaints on the subject but are handicapped since they are forced to use universal lnbs.Their solution is a sloping amp.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)