Anyone else getting bored with Sling?

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
I'm guessing we've had Sling almost a month now and we're starting to get bored with it. We've found ourselves watching Travel Channel, HGTV and Diy. We had strong hopes that by now Sling would be offering more choices. If the original target was the 18-34 crowd, I'm not sure they're reaching that audience with the channels they have now. My grown children aren't into Travel Channel, HGTV or DIY. I'm wondering how long they can keep customers with a very limited channel selection too.

I'm guessing we've had Sling almost a month now and we're starting to get bored with it. We've found ourselves watching Travel Channel, HGTV and Diy. We had strong hopes that by now Sling would be offering more choices. If the original target was the 18-34 crowd, I'm not sure they're reaching that audience with the channels they have now. My grown children aren't into Travel Channel, HGTV or DIY. I'm wondering how long they can keep customers with a very limited channel selection too.
Until they start adding more channels it will be like this!! imo :)

Nah, I knew what it would offer as a base package when I signed up, and while there will be a few additions (amc) I really do not expect them to add much more to it (base package) as if they did the price would surely go up. Then you are right back where you were with basic cable or sat packages.

Many that sub, maybe even most, are going to get it for the ESPN content, and the other channels are a bonus. That is who I feel they are really targeting, and is why I feel the core will stay more or less the same.

That said, I fully expect to see some more add on packages as they sign rights to them.

I would agree to keep the price point at a certain level and not get into cable/sat prices I do not think you would see a big expansion. I would think others would combine this with current Hulu or Netflix service

It is a great package and awesome deal....if you watch what is on there. Realistically you could have 300 channels but if none of them appeal to you or the wifey it is not the package for you.

Given that I have free Comcast, OTA, FTA and 10 other ways to watch TV I don't need Sling. If I actually had to pay for cable Sling would look much better, especially when they get AMC/BBC America going. Those are about the only "pay" channels I watch anyway.

Reactions: ChadT41
If we don't watch but a couple channels in any package we're still tossing money out the window. It's really no different than cable in that respect. Once again we pay for ESPN and don't watch it. If they didn't have ESPN I wonder how many would keep it? Not a lot I'm guessing. We may end up canceling in a few days before they bill for next month. We'll wait and see if they add new packages down the road.

If we don't watch but a couple channels in any package we're still tossing money out the window. It's really no different than cable in that respect. Once again we pay for ESPN and don't watch it. If they didn't have ESPN I wonder how many would keep it? Not a lot I'm guessing. We may end up canceling in a few days before they bill for next month. We'll wait and see if they add new packages down the road.

Put up a tv antenna on your roof. One time cost, and you are done.

Reactions: Blindowl1234
No, I am not bored with SlingTV at all! It is giving exactly what I expected at the right price. I have OTA, Hulu Plus, and Netflix for other things to watch. I really hope they do NOT start adding channels to the base package and raise its price.

Reactions: SatinKzo
Having to buy $1000 worth of stuff to effectively use something that is free isn't really free.

$1000! Where the heck do you live that you would EVER need $1000 worth of antenna for OTA tv?

Or you talking antenna, TIVO and Tivo guide subscription?

Antenna= $35
RG-6 coax, 100ft = $20~
NEW Tivo Roamio = $149
Lifetime sub = $400
--------------------------
$604.00 ONE TIME

Dish Sub, AT120 1 month= $66.99 (I have this at present, fees are correct, though I didn't include taxes) (includes $7 "Dvr Service" fee) x 12 months = $803.88 a year FOREVER, but price will continue to increase yearly.

So much for your "$1000 worth of stuff" bogus argument.

If you don't want a dvr, you'd only need the antenna and coax. $55.00. Maybe a splitter if you have more than one tv. OR, buy an older Tivo with lifetime for around $200, and save even more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Tony
Having to buy $1000 worth of stuff to effectively use something that is free isn't really free.
That is a bit of a hyperbole is it not? I am pretty sure that (starting from scratch) I could spend less than half that and get a good OTA setup with DVR capability -- and its just a one-time cost.

For $1000 for antenna/OTA money I could put up a huge tower, a gigantic motorized yagi, run all new cable to every single room in the house, buy a new TV to watch it all on and still have bar money leftover.....for months.

Was probably easier to build a good bowtie out of parts laying around ($0), use the cable I already had ($0), pull an amp out of the bin ($0) and watch the OTA for...$0. The $50 for a used hdhomerun to get the OTA wireless on any TV or device in the house and garage was a splurge. :)

OTA cost me $150 back some years ago....Antenna, Rotator, misc hardware. $ 1000 would buy a new tv or two! Already have OTA, Roku 3, Netflix. That's why I don't see the value in Sling unless you like ESPN.

I spent all of $30 and built my own antenna (gray hoverman design). Dig in the OTA section, I posted pics back in 2009 I think.. Looks like crap with schedule 40 and 6 gauge copper ground wire, but dang that sucker can pull in some channels. The $30 included my 6 pack while I built it. I dabbled back in directv and comcast for a while so not worth it FOR ME. I'm glad to have options and there will be no perfect solution for all. Sling is good for me and others needs. No one is saying is the be all end all for everyone.

*edit
Found the old post (2008 actually and it was $36)
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/coathanger-antenna.152098/#post-1572906

No, I am not bored with SlingTV at all! It is giving exactly what I expected at the right price. I have OTA, Hulu Plus, and Netflix for other things to watch. I really hope they do NOT start adding channels to the base package and raise its price.
I really hope once they get more carriage agreements modified, that they can start adding more base package options in addition to what is currently offered. I don't mean add-on packs, but alternate base packages with different channel choices.

We installed hundreds of antennas and not one was ever close to $1000. The typical install was between $300-$400. Lots of people install them on their own which can save them over $100.

It was what I expected. I wanted HGTV, Food and Travel. I ended up adding DIY and Cooking to our original package. TBS and TNT are nice too. It fills the void that OTA/Netflix couldn't 100% fill for me, especially since LiveWell went away in our market (which was similar to Food and HGTV). Again, I am a millennial... 26 years old and have a wife who watches these same channels. Works well for us.. and will be nice when we have our first kid for a few kids channels too.

We installed hundreds of antennas and not one was ever close to $1000.
As primestar31 figured out, I was talking about a fully functional OTA system that would provide for watching things on one's own terms. OTA doesn't repeat nearly as predictably as cable channels do and as such a righteous multi-TV DVR system is an imperative in my mind.

One TiVo isn't enough for most households; even when you add to or replace the factory storage but those who claim OTA is sufficient would have you believe as much.

While DIY antennas are fun and educational, they're well beyond the average consumer that will want to have their antenna professionally installed and wired. You don't get that out-of-the-box with the purchase of an antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)