Anyone else quiting when the new prices kick in?

Cablevision finds Voom getting poor reception

Copyright 2004

Newsday (New York)

September 10, 2004 Friday

ALL EDITIONS

By Harry Berkowitz, Staff Writer

From Lexis Nexis

Voom is slowing down.

The sign-up of new subscribers slowed in July and August at the already struggling nationwide satellite TV service that Cablevision Systems Corp. launched less than one year ago, the company revealed in a new regulatory filing.

"Unless we are able to reverse this trend and grow our customer base quickly and significantly, we are unlikely to have a successful" direct broadcast satellite business, Cablevision said in the filing with the Securities & Exchange Commission.

As of Aug. 31, Jericho-based Voom had 28,700 customers, with another 1,200 awaiting installation, up from 25,000 active customers June 30. Since launching the service in October, Voom has lost three of every 10 customers who signed up.

Voom competes with DirecTV and EchoStar Communications, which have a total of more than 23-million subscribers, and with cable companies, which have about 70 million.

Adding to the challenges for Voom, which stresses high-definition TV channels, DirecTV said Wednesday it will launch four new satellites by 2007 to expand programming capacity, especially for HDTV.

Voom's sign-up rate turned upward in April, May and June but then began to slide after Voom raised prices and scaled back direct marketing efforts "when it became apparent that we could not efficiently install a growing number of customers," the filing states.

Voom depends on outside installers, who have had to learn to install new types of equipment that sometimes has "operational issues."

"To be successful, we will need to have the capability to quickly install numbers of customers significantly in excess of the number of installations that created problems for us in June and July," the filing states.

Part of the problem lies in the digital antennas Voom provides to pick up local TV stations. Based on surveys of customers who cancel the service, "poor reception of local signals is a significant cause of our higher-than-anticipated churn rate," Voom said in the filing.

Voom, which until March 31 offered free service and until Aug. 1 offered free equipment and installation, is also having a big problem with freeloaders.

"We have a large number of installed customers who have never made any payments to us or who are otherwise not current in their payments to us," the filing states. "We have begun actively seeking to bring these accounts current or to terminate service."

To cut back reliance on direct marketing, Voom also is seeking to expand its network of retail outlets, which consists mainly of 1,600 Sears stores that have provided less than 5 percent of subscribers.

For 2004, Voom posted losses of $36 million in the first quarter and $61.6 million in the second quarter.

The regulatory filing is part of the company's preparation for the spinoff of Voom, along with three cable TV channels Cablevision owns, as a separate company with its own publicly traded stock. That spinoff is scheduled for this month, although it first must get SEC approval.

Tvlman said:
You're talking about quitting 40+ channels of HD and going to what? 9 HD channels on D*? 10 HD channels on cable? That's a no brainer! I remember how depressing it was to scan HBO, Showtime & HDNET Movies on D* and if there was nothing on these 3 HD channels turning the set off or settling for DVD. Between Cinema 10 and the 10 Premium HD channels I can usually find something to watch. And thank goodness there's always MONSTERS for laughs.
My feeling exactly...
if you can't find SOMETHING on Voom to occupy your attention, you wont find it anywhere, except your DVD collection, your pc, or in your bedroom!!

$10 is not a lot for HD

If i can spend $10,000 plus for an HD system which is cheap compared to some other subscribers what is $10 a month. HD isn't for the poor. We have higher disposable income that SD viewers. It is nonsense to complain about $10 a month when we are spending $6000 to $10,000 for a set . I have spent $8000 on two HD sets in the last 4 years what is a measly $10. HD isn't cheap, it costs money to watch 1080 i , just my humble opinion.

When i bought my AV system, my front two speakers alone are $1000 which is cheap compared to some of the other systems i have seen in galleries of AV system.

HD isn't cheap and there is a price to pay. You have to be realistic. It is like buying a Ferrari and complaining an oil change is $150 ( little extreme analogy but you get my point)

I would not give any F!@#ING company a F!@#ING nickel and have their sh*t in my living room locking up and needing reboots like a baby with a bad case of diaheria.There are some people here that think VOOM satellite service is cutting edge and that allows an excuse for VOOM's piss poor stb,piss poor movie line-up,piss poor CSR,piss poor billing dept.It is not that VOOM is the first to use satellites for TV, D* and E* have been doing it for over 10 years.Voom has managed to sign up a few(and I mean very few) people that think they are on the cutting edge of the new viewing experence that was set to change by 2006-2007 anyway
I am glad that I do not pratice the same business tatics that VOOM lives by,and if your Dry cleaning business did you would not have the opportunity to invest in quailty home theather equipment
Can ya mail back my buttons?
At the churn rate that VOOM has,and the loses being posted they can stay not much longer than 3rd quarter of 2005 (they have to at that time have 275,000 at the min to even stay afloat-forget providing new services)they have 30,450 now they will never make it unless they start to allow self install and have the equipment in Best Buy,Walmart,The Circuit City idiots and flood every other discount dump around)at that time D* will have launched 2 more satellites up and be ready for a major reliable expansion of HD programing and VOOM will go the way of the babys diaper to the dump-dump-dump

gee, it will be such a shame to see you go, after reading all the uplifting, constructive posts you have soiled this board with..

nothing like putting a positive spin on things....geez!

branchbouncer,
why do you feel more passionate about Voom than you do about D* or E*? You still love it and you miss it, don't you? :D

calikarim said:
HD isn't for the poor. We have higher disposable income that SD viewers.

Spoken straight from Mr. Money Bags. What a joke. I guess if you have HD, that puts you in the "upper class." Only in your eyes. You're a legend in your own mind. I'll pass your quote on at the staff meeting today. We always can use a laugh when the meeting gets boring. What a fool. :yes

I just noticed you're from California. That explains it.

calikarim said:
If i can spend $10,000 plus for an HD system which is cheap compared to some other subscribers what is $10 a month.
Not all of us with HD have deep pockets. I've accumulated my HT gear over a period of 10 years and only paid $1800 for my projector and $40 for a self built screen. I agree if you can afford what you paid for your sets, then $10 is a non-issue. The issue is when someone like me (now umemployed) and Voom is charging almost as much for hardware as for the programming, that's when $10 gets to be an issue.

To me, it's more a matter of principle since they still have major PQ issues, billing issues and have not lived up to their promises of a new codec rollout, bigger dishes, a PVR, etc. I don't think I should pay them any more money unless they can perform up to their promises. Do you get a raise at work for underperforming or not living up to your promises? :no Then why should Voom get a raise?

If I don't have a job in the next 2 weeks, I have no option but to drop Voom. I will keep Dish HD since all my gear is paid for and it only costs me $17/month. I watch Dish much more than Voom anyway. :yes

Do we know this $10 raise in monthly fee to be a fact. And I'm sorry, but I agree that if you want the most HD available then you have to pay for it. You always have the option to have less and pay less. Evertime I go visit my friends with HD tv's and little HD programing, I am so glad to get home. You really miss it when you don't have all the HD options. Even if you have to endure some crap and crappy repeat programing. Still looks better than a bunch of fuzzy TV.

calikarim said:
If i can spend $10,000 plus for an HD system which is cheap compared to some other subscribers what is $10 a month. HD isn't for the poor. We have higher disposable income that SD viewers. It is nonsense to complain about $10 a month when we are spending $6000 to $10,000 for a set . I have spent $8000 on two HD sets in the last 4 years what is a measly $10. HD isn't cheap, it costs money to watch 1080 i , just my humble opinion.

Just to let you know Im one of those poor HD guys that only spent 1,880 bucks for my set. Really I agree 10 bucks a mth is nothing when it comes down to it. But , when you compare what the other providers have in HD...you have to look at your options. Do you want more HD or do you want less with ch's HDNET, HDNET Movies , INHD 1 and 2. For the same price as VOOM with the new increase I can get every HD ch VOOM is offering in its basic pack , except for their exclusives. So the 10 buck increase brings VOOM's price up to where my cable provider is.....10 bucks is not alot but now which do I care about more. VOOM's exclusives...or INHD 1 and 2 and HDNET ch's. HMMMM

I would never spend $10,000 let alone $2000 for a TV. I think that's going overboard. I don't understand why people have to spend this much money on a TV to what? Show if off like a little kid with a new toy. People with this kind of money makes me sick. They have the money so they go out and flaunt it. BLAH

It's always funny to hear some guy say "I spent $$$$ on ___ so what's another $$" and the guy gives no inkling that there are other people out there who don't have or don't want to spend that kind of money. (Yes, Virginia, there's a real world out there beside you.)

Here's a question: if what you're saying is true, how come Voom only has 28,000 subs. There have been millions of HD sets sold, but I guess all those millions who spent 10K on their home theaters are too cheap to fork out anoher 50-$100 for Voom. Either that or Voom must really suck.

barth2k said:
There have been millions of HD sets sold, but I guess all those millions who spent 10K on their home theaters are too cheap to fork out anoher 50-$100 for Voom. Either that or Voom must really suck.

Don't take it so personal barth2k. He didn't say that all customers with HD sets have $10k setups. He was only talking about his own setup, his own $$$, and that $10/month extra will not make a big difference for him. Nothing wrong with that.

Speaking of $$$. Let's assume that Voom is indeed way above all other providers. Let's assume that PQ is hands down the best, HDDVR is awesome, and there are 200 HD channels with blockbuster movies or babes or all NFL games on top of 10 HD Food channels or whatever pleases you and some more. Would you pay $200 per month for this? I bet you wouldn't. And most of us wouldn't. Not because the deal is not worth it but because $200/month for "TV" is a lot of money. So, what is my point? HD adventure is rather expensive for most of us. For some, it is actually too expensive. That's not necessarily HD providers' fault. :)

Tvlman said:
You're talking about quitting 40+ channels of HD and going to what? 9 HD channels on D*? 10 HD channels on cable? That's a no brainer! I remember how depressing it was to scan HBO, Showtime & HDNET Movies on D* and if there was nothing on these 3 HD channels turning the set off or settling for DVD. Between Cinema 10 and the 10 Premium HD channels I can usually find something to watch. And thank goodness there's always MONSTERS for laughs.

I work and go to school so my time at home is somewhat rare. Voom has good PQ but the programs I want to watch are one while I'm at school/work or sleeping most of the time.

So I had to revert to getting a Tivo and watch the stuff I want to when I have the time. HD was great but for the 120.00 a month to rarely see this I had to drop. If they had a PVR I probably would stay around.

Believe it or not HD is not at important to watching a PVR for a busy family.

Since they said the lease price was dropping and the extra receiver cost was being dropped, I should save $5/month after the price increase, so that will probably be enough to keep me around (if I find a job, that is).

No entry found for "quiting".
Did you mean quieting?

Suggestions:
quieting
quitting
quoting
quilting
kiting
suiting
cutting
gaiting
guiding
gutting
jutting

DarrellP said:
I'm on the fence, with the crappy PQ, no PVR, no super dish, no new codecs that were all supposed to be here by now, I am having a real problem paying $64/month for this service. If I were only paying the programming fee, I would keep it, but $74 for Basic service and 2 boxes is way too much $$. :no Get the new codecs up and chase away the mosquitos and I just might consider it. :yes

Are you talking about Dish Network? I sounds exactly why I dropped Dish. ;)

DarrellP said:
Not all of us with HD have deep pockets. I've accumulated my HT gear over a period of 10 years and only paid $1800 for my projector and $40 for a self built screen. I agree if you can afford what you paid for your sets, then $10 is a non-issue. The issue is when someone like me (now umemployed) and Voom is charging almost as much for hardware as for the programming, that's when $10 gets to be an issue.

I dropped the Dish because it was awful. Never watched it. People keep screaming for more channels on Voom. "I want Sci-Fi". "I want Food Network". "I want Bravo-HD". "I want HGTV." "I want religous channels." "I want shopping channels." "I want...I want...I want..." But if they charge more for their requests all they do is complain more. Geeeeez...give me a break! $1,800 for a projector, $40 for screen. What no sound? Didn't you buy speakers? How about a receiver? Cables? You have a lot more invested than you think. Forego that DVD this month. My property taxes have gone up much more than $10.00 this month. Dish and DirecTV always have increases. Dish did an increase just a few months back. And another one coming up. Plus, when Dish really has HD, they'll do another major increase. Price increase are reality. Get use to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)