Anyone else with Genie afraid to rewind or fast forward?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cornflakes

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 9, 2005
Does anyone else here actually afraid to rewind, instant-replay, or fast-forward in a show on the Genie client because there's a great chance that the system will lock up? And the only way to get the client to work again is to switch to a different channel and then switch back?

Is this common, or do I just have a defective system?

I did not go with the client, instead I went with the H24 and it has been absolutely wonderful. A guy told me that the H24 was absolutely "bullet proof" so after I studied everything I felt the H24 was the way to go, and so far it is great. I can't be of any help with the c31 client, but I do read about lots of resets/freezing up,ect... I have never had to do a reset or anything with my H24.

I did not go with the client, instead I went with the H24 and it has been absolutely wonderful. A guy told me that the H24 was absolutely "bullet proof" so after I studied everything I felt the H24 was the way to go, and so far it is great. I can't be of any help with the c31 client, but I do read about lots of resets/freezing up,ect... I have never had to do a reset or anything with my H24.

no mine works fine only one reset in 4 months

Mine is as you describe from time to time. Sometimes, it's faster than the Genie itself. Other times, it's not worth even trying to change the channel. Usually, it's just slightly slower than the actual HR34.

Does anyone else here actually afraid to rewind, instant-replay, or fast-forward in a show on the Genie client because there's a great chance that the system will lock up? And the only way to get the client to work again is to switch to a different channel and then switch back?

I had similar problems with my HR-34, until recently that is. If a restart doesn't work, try to Reset to Defaults. If that doesn't work, Reset Everything. Before you do, you should write down your favorite channels lists and timers first, as you will lose them. When you rebuild your timers, if you are using any Bollean search autorecords or any manual timers, be sure to add one timer at a time and use the system to see if that timer has any affect on the responsiveness of your system, before adding another timer. I dealt with the same issue although I don't use any clients. As I have the Genie and three HR-24's. You may want to hear from others who use clients before trying my recommendations. Good luck, I hope things work out with your system.

It happens to me almost once a day on the client and maybe once every week or two on the HR34. It mostly happens on recorded programs and it is a function of how often you rewind/replay during each program and what else the HR34 is doing at the time. The HR34/C31 is a piece of junk and I wished this was its only problem; I cannot wait to switch back to Dish. The fact that Directv so quickly completely redesigned this "Genie" is proof that it sucks and they don't have any confidence that they can fix it with software updates.

I had problems with my H25 clients accessing my HR34... turned out the installer did a shoddy job.. once a different/better installer came back and fixed the wiring, the signal strengths came back up to snuff and no more errors for us during RWD/FWD. I dunno.. do C31s have some kind of signal diagnostic (since they don't have a tuner?)

The problem described in the OP has nothing to do with signal strength. All my signals are high 80 to high 90

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts