Anyone have any luck with the 1.2 meter dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jamestheman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
Dallas,Texas
I am trying to set this 1.2 meter up with a motor and a c/ku combo lnb, I can get both for about $120, anyone getting alone well with this same setup, I know I wont get alot of c band, but with this size dish I would expect to get all ku and a bit of c band.

Any luck for any of you yet?

I run a 1.2meter offset feed ku only, on a H to H home brew mount an really like that set up. but I would not even want to try to use it for c-band, just not enough surface area for decent reception, not saying that you will not lock some sats, but will they hold in a rain storm, a far better way just get a 8-foot or larger dish then you will lock just about all up their, an use the 1.2m just for ku receiption.

here is the link for when I 1st set up my 1.2meter.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...4-captain-s-1-2m-h-2-h-mount.html#post1652982

i'm on my way to getting a 120cm dish to work with my hh120 for ku-band only.

I was having fits for the last couple weeks because I could only get 24 deg of arc. Based on a hunch and the fact the pole looked like it was bent slightly, I purchased a pole level and found my pole was indeed out of plumb, thus confirming most likely why I wasn't getting the whole arc.

I have to put in a new pole -- probably the j-mast that came with the dish -- and better pole supports (and I recommend you use great supports, too) because a 1.2m dish is extremely front heavy. I had a 90cm on the setup working good before the changeout to the 120cm and I also replaced a light cheap chinese LNBF with an heavy invacom, so it looks like the added weight of the upgrades finally was able to pull the mounting pole out of plumb whereas the 90cm was light enough.

I know qwert & scottc have a 4 foot dish that he uses for C-Band and it seems to work ok on the stronger signal channels

1.2 Meter dish with home made combo LNB

I have a 1.2m setup at a relatives house in extreme northern Minnesota that reliably receives Ku band and C band. The Caribbean Networks and the Sportsman's channel come in at 45Q on a Lifetime NA and only fade during storms that drop the visability to 1/2 mile. I've included some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 206
The Scalar ring was designed and machined by myself. It is machined from a single piece of aluminum on a CNC mill. I will have to check my receipts for the LNBs as I made three different versions.

welcome :wave from another Minnesotan ;)

very cool setup

If you dont mind me asking, where in Northern MN? Got an uncle up in Warroad :)

Hi Iceberg, been reading your post for the last two years, it helped alot. My family is in Ely.

sweet :) Use to live in Duluth

voomvoom said:
I also am hoping for more pictures, without the snow
ya may be waiting al ;)
the circle is the vicinity of Ely...this is from the dnr site on snowfall

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 188
LNB pics without snow

These are some older pics with the LNB mount not mounted correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0024.jpg
    IMG_0024.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 223
jtuttle, that looks like an interesting lnb combo. It looks like the back of the c band wave guide was removed and an offset ku band lnbf was glued into place. How well does it work on both bands?

I've been to Ely a couple of times, it's about 1 1/2 hour drive south of me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Are there any good IRC chatrooms for FTA?

Newbie Help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)