Anyone in Sub-Saharan Africa? Reception question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTL_Ian

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 22, 2009
Keene, NH
As you may be aware, AMOS-5 has gone dark and programming is being moved elsewhere. RRMedia has moved their mux to SES-5. If you can receive SES-5 and don't mind a quick rescan, please see if you can find channel LRN.FM:

The channel should be on SES-5 at 5 degrees East, Transponder: 4.951, Frequency: 11919 MHz, Horizontal Polarization, Symbol Rate: 27500, FEC: 3/4

Map of SES-5 coverage in Africa
http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/footprints/SES-5-Sub-Saharan-Africa.html

Thank you!

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
Don't think any of the active SatGuys members* can see 5.0E, for two reasons, neither beam is aimed this way(the U.S. where this board is located) and it's below the horizon in the U.S. except for a small area in the extreme N.E.
AFAIK there's no members from S.Africa area. A few in Eu, but that's it.
Think you'd get a better chance of a response on a board located in the area that 5.0E covers. (Sub-Saharan board- ??)

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
Maybe satsignature.com ??? Select the satellite, then check on the services tab ?? That is, IF they can see that satellites beams.

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
Ah ha - .You ARE LRN.FM(?) - why not contact RRMedia ?? But I would venture to say, if you've paid the bill, they would have put you on the new satellite.

FTL_Ian

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 22, 2009
Keene, NH
RRMedia did supposedly move us over to SES-5. I am trying to verify that it's actually there.

Just because they say it's on, doesn't mean it is. When we launched the channel on AMOS-5, they accidentally put on some music station that was not LRN.FM, and I would not have known and they would not have known, had a listener on the ground there not reported it. Unfortunately his mother just died, so he's not going to be able to check for a while.

FaT Air

HOA Free Zone
Feb 27, 2010
97W 48N
Put on 'the air' a request of a listener in the area contact you.
A collect call can be refused, but then you know it was heard there.
Doesn't cost a dime.
Your website logs would/should also log access by that region also.
They could also contact you via it's contact page(?)
Also Doesn't cost a dime. Golden!

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I didn't think there WERE collect calls anymore.

I think we had one guy here a ways back that claimed to be in SA.

AceB

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 1, 2011
Sussex, UK
We're spoilt for choice in Europe as there's also http://en.kingofsat.net/radio-4.8E.php but that hasn't had an update so far. I find Flysat more useful for 'DX'ing as it lists all the data transponders, they're often stronger than TV which makes finding weak satellites easier. It's just a shame they don't fully cover the Atlantic birds to our extreme west.

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)