Anyone using 90 cm or larger for Dish Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
Lot of people ask : What can I get with an 18 inch dish...... so I'll flip the question around a little.

Anyone using a 90cm dish or larger for a subbed Dish Network package , I mean there are certainly advantages to using a bigger dish , I just wan't to know if a DN Receiver will accept a Fortec circular LNB the same way it does a DP LNB , any issues .

One of my relatives has an issue with too many trees on his property and I'm gonna see if I can set up a dish in his yard , seems that the tech who came out gave up and told him NO CAN DO .

Well I think it can be done and I know of a clearing at the far end of his yard that might work , i just wan't a temporary setup to prove that the tech is wrong and I plan on setting it up with a FTA receiver , and later he'll call DN so they can schedule a new appointment .

I just wanna say " I Told You So " , and be told " Hey You are a Smart Nephew "

mastermesh

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 18, 2006
trees=bad... but usually if there's enough room you can move dish back far enough to see over trees... if that doesn't work, maybe get some long coax, and install dish up on the south side of the tallest tree where it will see above other trees?

lumpkin666

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 21, 2007
USA
Just because you can get a signal doesn't mean a dish tech will install it. If it's beyond their recommended length, or if there are trees in the vicinity that could end up growing into the LOS in a the years to come, then many installers will avoid that - because it's them that have to come out for free and readjust it when it doesn't work sometime down the road (or so I read).

Hopefully you luck out and find a good spot that will work for the installer. And even better, hopefully you'll convince your uncle to join the crew here ;)

tvropro

On Vacation
Mar 9, 2007
Sometimes a larger dish can help ONLY if a good part of it isn't obstructed by trees. In short a larger dish see's more sky, ONLY if the sky's able to be seen. Your best bet is to have nothing in the way. I don't even like utility wires.

Chainsaws make happy dishes :)

Since you know more than the DISH tech Im sure, why not see if you can get a self install setup from DISH and do it the way you want to. Then just have them authorize it when your done.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
Guys, I think you are all stating the obvious and missing the question:
I just wan't to know if a DN Receiver will accept a Fortec circular LNB the same way it does a DP LNB , any issues .
I can't answer as I have never tried it and no longer have a dish sub.

VinceT3

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 12, 2006
Rainsalot Florida
You would need to change the switch.. DishPro can use the DP34 & DP44 .. circular lnbs are generally legacy and you need to use a SW64 or something like that..

Corrado

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 2, 2007
Hudson Valley Region, NY
I have tried in the past to aim through holes in the tree line.I found that anything even close can effect the signal.Wind moving branches and sagging wet leaves. I even found differences between a prime focus and offset dishes with line of sight.

I would never mount a dish on a tree, as they continually grow and move in the wind. In my area I see plenty of dishes on pipes out far from the house.I have read with properly rated cable you can have up to 200ft with DishPro equipment.

Dishpointer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jan 10, 2005
Kansas
I am using a 1 meter dish for the 129 sat but I am also using a DP lnb. It has really helped my SS. Since my whole system is Dish Pro, I removed the housing from a DP dual. I haven't tried any other lnb though.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
need more input

A lot of people have tried to answer your question, but since you haven't gotten back to clarify, let me say this:

- DN won't install your 36" dish, but you could if you really wanted to.
- don't even try shooting through trees. :( can you pull back far enough to shoot over 'em?
- basic DN service is on the main 110º & 119º birds - you need both.
- it's possible your Uncle wanted some service on one of the side birds (61 or 129) which caused the LOS problem
- I just did some calculations for a GeoSatPro 90cm dish, and from Chicago, the two main LNBs would need to be 4" apart

...I just want to know if a DN Receiver will accept a Fortec circular LNB the same way it does a DP LNB , any issues .
This has me scratching my head.
Any DBS LNB (so the LO is 11250) should work as a legacy LNB
You would tie the two LNBs at 110 and 119 together with a DN SW21 and it'll work with DN receivers (but not FTA receivers)
If you needed more LNBs for more birds, you are better off with bandstacked DishPro LNBs, I think.
But, before we get carried too far away, what is it you really want to achieve in the end?

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
Thanks for the Replies ...........

don't even try shooting through trees. :( can you pull back far enough to shoot over 'em?

But, before we get carried too far away, what is it you really want to achieve in the end?

Instead of pulling back , I'm going forward and under ..... meaning that I believe I have a shot at 110 and 119 by going right to the edge of his property where the tree line is .

It's a situation where the dish will sit about 2ft off the ground , maybe even on a bucket mount , I think I can eyeball the elevation , well more of a guesstimate , but I believe I can get it.

Thanks for the info on the switches , I picked up a Dish 500 for this project , if it works out ...... what I really needed was a Dish 1000 since he wants the HD package.

I do have a extra 90 cm dish and I was thinking about the fortec circular LNB , and wondered about how I would do it , now I know I need a Switch for it to work.

Sorry about the late response , I am working odd hours .

In the end if all goes well I hope to get a tech out here who will finish up the job and provide the dish I really need.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
So, what you really want to do is your own site survey to find a location where an 18" dish with a circular LNB can see all three Dish birds.
Forget the 90cm, that's not part of the equation.
Forget self-install, that's not going to happen for hi-def.

Get yourself an 18" with circular LNB (or use what you mentioned).
Set up your FTA receiver to get the unencrypted barker channels on each bird.
Might see Iceberg's list, or this site : 110º, 119º, 129º

Two feet off the ground is a really bad place to put a dish.
Dogs, kids, adults tripping over it, walking in front of it, lawn mower, etc . . .

You can use any old circular LNB for your survey.
What Dish will install with your equipment, will be DishPro (or later) LNBs and switch.

avg1joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 27, 2006
Southern Maine
It's a situation where the dish will sit about 2ft off the ground
I don't know about where you live, but here in Maine a dish 2ft off the ground would be covered in drifting snow.

Is this the only installer in the area? Maybe you could find a different installer who is a little more creative and open minded.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
Two feet off the ground is a really bad place to put a dish.
Dogs, kids, adults tripping over it, walking in front of it, lawn mower, etc . . .

2 ft is bad .......... I already warned them about snow and or snowdrifts ,as long as they're ready to clean snow around it they'll be fine.

Not worried about dogs , tripping , walking in front of it or lawn mower , if anything I'd worry more about target practice since they're next 2 a park with a frisbee golf course.

And 2ft is just a starting point , I may put it higher if LOS allows it.

This is ( Imaginary ) what it kind of looks like , imagine setting up a bucket mount and having a fence that's 70 ft high and solid , now imagine an opening 4ft high and 4ft wide from the ground up and setting up the dish to see thru that clearing.

In the distance there is 1 more tree but it's far enough.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
I don't know about where you live, but here in Maine a dish 2ft off the ground would be covered in drifting snow. .

Are you kidding me ........... It' like that here also.

Is this the only installer in the area? Maybe you could find a different installer who is a little more creative and open minded.

Well I wasn't there when he came but from what I hear he walked every square foot of the roof and tried the move farthest away from trees approach , and I did the same thing and came to the same conclusion , no LOS .

I surveyed the backyard and found a great spot almost up against the tree line , tree line is about 10-20 ft from property but a little geometry gave me hope.

Hey I included a pic from a birds eye view looking south , you'll definitely see the tree problems.

Attachments

• TREES and LOS for DN.JPG
    TREES and LOS for DN.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 226

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
site survey on paper

Beautiful picture, and easy to work with.
How did you get it?

Can you go South from "Dish Location" to the fence and shoot from there?

Pick out some locations for possible dish placement.
Get a protractor and draw lines from "Dish Location" and other candidates to the south at angles of:
- 211º for the 110 bird (or 215º magnetic, if your South on the picture is magnetic)
- 222º for the 119 bird (or 226º magnetic)
- 233º for the 129 bird (or 236º magnetic)
- 144º for the 61º bird (or 147º magnetic)
- Assuming that the South marking is 180º, this should be a snap :cool:
If I had a protractor, I'd do it to the picture in about 2 minutes.

jayelem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 5, 2006
Chicago suburbs.
Beautiful picture, and easy to work with.
How did you get it?

Thanks to images captured from Microsoft LIVE Search ( very similar to Google Earth ) but no need to download a thing , just type address and zoom in , then choose Birds eye view. Closer sharper pictures where available , better than google earth most of the time IMO.

Here's the link .

Live Local Search

Can you go South from "Dish Location" to the fence and shoot from there?

I have to do that and I will when I go back over there , I'm about 30 minutes away , I'll post a picture when I do so you get an idea, but by then I will know if I can hit my 110 and 119 sat , I just have to get a day off when theres no rain in the forecast so I can work on it.

Anole

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 22, 2005
L.A., Calif.
nothing to do with site survey

From what I've read, the Dish 1000-family are marginal.
Some places they work file, some places they don't.
That's my definition of marginal: - not 100% reliable.

However, a 1000x is most likely what your Dish installer will put up for you.
If an only if you should have rain-fade problems in Chicago, you might want to move that one 129º LNB to a bigger dish.
I have an old Dish 24", but an FTA 30" might get the job done.

Maybe it would be worth a talk with the installers in the Dish forum, or even the Installer's forum for more advice on your problem.

As for my previous post, Site Survey on Paper, what I meant was:
- print out your map,
- lay a protractor on it,
- and draw the lines as listed.
That should give you a guide for when you walk out into the yard, so you know where to look.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts