Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

I did find a use for the 2 camera function on Skype. When I was away my wife needed to show me some progress on a construction project. (Before ipad). She was using a Dell laptop that uses one camera but Dell made it on a swivel so you could flip it around and show other stuff besides your face. If that is the case with ipad2 or Tab dual cameras, then the rear facing camera could be of some use. As for just picture taking, sorry but this photographer can't see a purpose in a 10" or even 7" picture taking camera. The thing I like about my phone camera is that I always have it and I don't always have a dedicated digital camera. The phone camera is always ready to go.

Rocky- I wish my wifi hotspot for winmobile worked as easy as you described. I do have to launch it from a submenu, then access several touch spots on the screen to get it into the mode of wifi I want before the ipad will see it and auto connect. Don't have to do anything with the ipad but I do have to put the phone in the right ready state to make it work. Then the battery burns very fast while on wifi. Obviously, Android has a better implementation than winmobile does. But the 5Spot is simple and just have to carry an extra device.

Remember the app does not let you watch the games unless you also subscribe to the $119 MLB.TV package. The app only lets you listen to games.

I find it silly that they charge seperately for the iphone and ipad app.

Don Landis said:
I did find a use for the 2 camera function on Skype. When I was away my wife needed to show me some progress on a construction project. (Before ipad). She was using a Dell laptop that uses one camera but Dell made it on a swivel so you could flip it around and show other stuff besides your face. If that is the case with ipad2 or Tab dual cameras, then the rear facing camera could be of some use. As for just picture taking, sorry but this photographer can't see a purpose in a 10" or even 7" picture taking camera. The thing I like about my phone camera is that I always have it and I don't always have a dedicated digital camera. The phone camera is always ready to go.

Rocky- I wish my wifi hotspot for winmobile worked as easy as you described. I do have to launch it from a submenu, then access several touch spots on the screen to get it into the mode of wifi I want before the ipad will see it and auto connect. Don't have to do anything with the ipad but I do have to put the phone in the right ready state to make it work. Then the battery burns very fast while on wifi. Obviously, Android has a better implementation than winmobile does. But the 5Spot is simple and just have to carry an extra device.

I get the wifi issue on winmobile, but for Scott it should be two touch: launch the app, press tether... :)

It should be but it doesn't work like that, it takes over 60 second to turn on and get synced up. When I want to lookup something I want to do it then and not wait for it to get connected.

Remember the app does not let you watch the games unless you also subscribe to the $119 MLB.TV package. The app only lets you listen to games.
But you can still listen to every game, and they give you 1 to 2 games to watch for free everyday. Plus they have the live AT BAT feature which is pretty cool.

And a bonus, during the playoffs, the live camera feature allows you to watch every playoff game. You are stuck on one camera though and must switch views on your own. Over the last couple of years I spent many hours watching playoff games on my phone when I wasn't near a TV. The APP by itself was well worth it for me.

This will be the first time I will be trying it on my iPad though, as I just got my iPad for Christmas

Yes, I do have the premium MLB.TV subscription.
I find it silly that they charge seperately for the iphone and ipad app.
I agree. One APP should cover both devices

Scott- even the 5spot takes about 30-45 seconds to to fully work. I turn it on but then it has to lock signal about 5-10 seconds, then make the call and connect. Then poll the area for authorized devices already established and then sync the IP DHCP. All that can take another 30 seconds. The only way around that is to turn on the 5Spot and leave it on for the duration of the battery life. If I have to assign a new device I would then need to type in the Key on another new ipad before being authorized. Bottom line- I'm happy with 30-45 seconds to have that kind of speed. The cost of a separate access for each device is rather expensive, don't you think?

Two simple questions for iPad owners:

1) I downloaded a rented movie that I watched then it expired. The icon/information still resides in my "rentals" area, but of course can no longer be used without re-renting it, which in all likelihood I will not do. The HD movie file was 3.2GB (took over 2 hours to d/l on my slow DSL!) and I assume it is still occupying that amount of my memory. How can I delete that file? (I assume it's still in resident memory.) Can it be done on the iPad itself or only during a sync?

2) I bought the Apple folder cover which I have used from the get go. It came with that wonderful cloth one can use to scrub fingerprints from the screen, which I do frequently. I guess I am gradually removing the protective surface by doing that, but I hate the smudges! Can that cloth be cleaned without removing whatever its magical property is? Or does Apple sell replacements? I think I'm due for a clean or new cloth.

TIA and BRgds...

For your rented movie, go to Videos - then press and hold on the video you want to delete. Shortly you'll get an 'x' in the upper left corner of the video icon.

Ability to play Flash videos on ipad now possible using a new web browser.

I've been playing with a new Apple approved application called Skyfire which is a web browser that permits you to play FLASH video on your ipad. The way it works is you come across a website with embedded flash video and on your ipad you will get a small notice that it is FLASH and to download the latest Flash Player which you can't do on the ipad. Then you touch a small ? icon in the lower left corner and the browser says "Analyzing" In about 20 seconds the embedded video pops up and you can play it. First it appears as a small screen but you can expand that with good quality to full screen.

What it doesn't do is Flash games and animation according to the supplier.

Cost is $4.99 on Apple app store.

Ok, a couple questions:

1) Is there a stand-alone gmail app, or is it just the html5 app from the "google" app?

2) Is there an official Facebook for ipad app? All I get is the iphone one, which when stretched looks terrible. If not, what are people using for Facebook?

Woo Hoo! I figured out how to put SkyFire on the dock instead of Safari! Small victory, but a good one!

I find that the wi-fi on this thing takes awhile to come on after it has been asleep.

Rocky- You may find FlipBook a good alternative for your news. One free app that you can set up with Facebook, Twitter, Engadget and other personal custom news sources. For my purpose, if I want to see what's in the news I open Flip book and I get a capsule of an article, tap on it and it opens to the full web publication with easy quick return to the Flip book.

A tip for you- Ref Multitasking- Double click the hard button and you will see the bottom tool bar open up to show you what apps are running in the background. If you get too many running you will have trouble with some as you're running out of memory. Touch and hold the icons until the minus sign appears and then tap that minus sign to dump the app from background operation.

Question for others- Anyone know of a way to dump all background operations with one click? I've been doing it one at a time.

Re Skyfire- Did you read up on how it does the Flash video? You should just to understand why it works and the risks involved. Basically, they take your request and load the Fash video to their servers which do a translation so your ipad can see it. Consequently, not all Flash video is available since they may not support something special in the file. Most popular websites are supported but I've found a few private websites that are incompatible. One large site which I think was Hulu was incompatible. It's not perfect but as of now it seems to be the best solution for flash video.

Log Me In is also an excellent tool to access your home computer desktop. It works extremely well on the ipad.

Last edited:
Don Landis said:
Rocky- You may find FlipBook a good alternative for your news. One free app that you can set up with Facebook, Twitter, Engadget and other personal custom news sources. For my purpose, if I want to see what's in the news I open Flip book and I get a capsule of an article, tap on it and it opens to the full web publication with easy quick return to the Flip book.

A tip for you- Ref Multitasking- Double click the hard button and you will see the bottom tool bar open up to show you what apps are running in the background. If you get too many running you will have trouble with some as you're running out of memory. Touch and hold the icons until the minus sign appears and then tap that minus sign to dump the app from background operation.

Question for others- Anyone know of a way to dump all background operations with one click? I've been doing it one at a time.

Re Skyfire- Did you read up on how it does the Flash video? You should just to understand why it works and the risks involved. Basically, they take your request and load the Fash video to their servers which do a translation so your ipad can see it. Consequently, not all Flash video is available since they may not support something special in the file. Most popular websites are supported but I've found a few private websites that are incompatible. One large site which I think was Hulu was incompatible. It's not perfect but as of now it seems to be the best solution for flash video.

Log Me In is also an excellent tool to access your home computer desktop. It works extremely well on the ipad.

I was wondering about killing tasks, I'll try that. I'll also check out those other apps. I use hoot suite for twitter, tweet deck works great for Facebook om android, but keeps crashing on the iPad.

I'll also read up on flash. Much to read actually. But this whole thing has happened pretty quickly.

I've been playing with the multitasking gestures for awhile and I really like them. A four or five finger pinch in an app is the same as pressing the home button. Four fingers sweeping left or right switches between background apps. A four finger sweep up on the home screen is the same as double clicking the home button. It's very all very handy.

Mario

mperdue said:
I've been playing with the multitasking gestures for awhile and I really like them. A four or five finger pinch in an app is the same as pressing the home button. Four fingers sweeping left or right switches between background apps. A four finger sweep up on the home screen is the same as double clicking the home button. It's very all very handy.

Mario

Trying this and having no luck, do you have to enable gestures?

Screaming brand new capacitor.

Microsoft Refurbisher

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts