Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

Murray-

When you open the app and want to watch what's on now. at the bottom of the screen you see the home, now, today, etc. be sure to select Now. Then you will have what's playing now and you can select the icon of the program. You should see Watch on ipad, watch on TV, record buttons. select watch on ipad and it should pop up. Hint- if the ap exits, you probably have too many aps open in your multitask. shut down all but the sling ap and try again.

If you have a recorded show on your DVR instead of selecting NOW select DVR and now you can watch what's on your DVR What's cool here is you can watch not just the DVR recordings but also the stuff on your external hard drive.

The part I'm not sure about is if you delete an ap and then sync, does it remove it from itunes as well? I think it does and then next time you sync the other ipad, I think it would remove it from that one too. With only two devices syncing to the same ipad account, I get confused, lose track of what stays and what gets deleted. I can't image if I had many iOS devices, how do you keep track?

If you have already synced the app to your iTunes on the PC the app will remain on the PC after you delete it from the iPad. The only way it will not be on the PC is if you never synced the iPad with the app on it prior to deletion. Remember that each iPad has its own profile in iTunes. What ever you delete off of the one will not delete off of the other without removing it on that device also. The only ones that seem to get auto synced on both are new purchases.

Another issue I have is I may want to keep 30Gb of movies on my ipad which is a 64Gb and my wife may want to keep only 12 Gb of movies on hers, some different, some the same. But her ipad is only a 16Gb. What's the best way to keep track of everything?

One solution I thought would be that your itunes on your computer has everything from all devices synced to that account. Then when you sync a smaller ipad, you need to select only the stuff you want. Not sure if it does this but when you connect the smaller ipad, does it remember what you had before? If you delete from the ipad and resync, will it reinstall it from itunes next time unless you delete it from itunes, it should reinstall it again, right? This gets confusing fast with two, imagine several devices.

There are many ways that you can do this.

1) You can have both devices synce to different PC's. This is what the wife and I do. She has what she wants on one iTunes and mine is on the other. Since we use the same iTunes account we are allowed to share purchases as iTunes lets the same account be on 5 PC's without issues. We then enabled home share to sync information between the PC's.

2) Each device can also manually select what they want to sync. Each iOS device is its own profile and will allow each of them to pick and choose. You can also setup to automatically sync everything on one and only a couple of items on the other. This is what I do with my daughter with her iTouch. She only has what she needs on hers and mine has just the few items that I want from it.

Thanks for the tips. I like your #1 method and plan to implement it as my wife has a nice Dell laptop she uses often too.

Another short coming of the ipad is the standard e-mail ap. The folders really suck because they are non-existent. I tried a couple suggestions from another forum ipad support and it didn't work. Maybe there is a better ap for e-mail I could use to generate folders and add a junk mail detector, spam detector. Any ideas?

Thanks for the tips. I like your #1 method and plan to implement it as my wife has a nice Dell laptop she uses often too.

Another short coming of the ipad is the standard e-mail ap. The folders really suck because they are non-existent. I tried a couple suggestions from another forum ipad support and it didn't work. Maybe there is a better ap for e-mail I could use to generate folders and add a junk mail detector, spam detector. Any ideas?
I wish there was a filter for the iPad like I have on Office Outlook 07/Norton. I could create a gmail account but that is not a very good solution for me. Way to many accounts and contacts to change. Maybe I will contact my isp and see if they have a filter on their server I could use.........

Last edited:
I use MobileMe for all my email and the filters I have set there work on my iPad. I'm not sure if it is happening at MobileMe or on the iPad, though I tend to think it is at MM.

Well, I guess I will not be activating a data plan for my iPad. Read what I received in an email on Monday, January 31, 2011 6:10 PM :eek:
"As of January 19, 2011, we are discontinuing the AT&T High Speed Internet bundle discount for new customers. As an existing customer, you will continue to receive the bundle discount. However, if you make any changes to your account (such as a name change, address change, or change to your speed, etc.), you will no longer receive the bundle discount.
Remember, if you make a change to your account after Jan. 19, this
will cause the discount to be removed from your account."

Which is why I jailbreak and use MyWi. Why should anyone pay for data on each device separately? It should be per account, not per device. You pay per account for your home internet and are allowed to have as many devices as you want. Besides, I do not use data on both devices at the same time. I am either using the phone or the iPad; either way, it is the same amount of data regardless.

Besides, 99% of the time I am using WiFi on both devices, and I come nowhere near using $30/month worth of my unlimited data of both devices combined. The last thing I am going to do is pay $15 more a month.

Keep in mind, my wife and I are both paying for data service. These two should be under one flat combined account

You pay per account for your home internet and are allowed to have as many devices as you want.

Not exactly. With Cable modem you pay per modem. You can connect as many devices to your modem as your router permits. Cell phones should be considered more like a cable modem. You have one account with 3 cell phones connected to their head end ( tower / internet ) . That would be like having one cable account with 3 modems connected to their head end.

With cell phone connectivity, you have the option of connecting anywhere. The cable modems must be located at one address.

How many devices you may connect to a single modem is limited by the router technology. I have one router that allows only one additional device to be connected to the cell phone and I have two other router systems that permit up to 5 devices. My cable modem has router technology that permits 254 devices. Contrary to myth, you can have more than one modem / cable at an address but it must be justified and be a business account.

How many devices you may connect to a single modem is limited by the router technology.
If you don't have enough addresses, you can always use a different router. If your router is combined with the modem, you can stack a more capable one onto your existing router.

I agree with your equating phones to modems. Each phone has its own modem and eats up its own chunk of provider bandwidth. The difference with phones is that there is little need for them to connect with each other and it would be impractical to use a series of phones with a multi-WAN router.

Picked up an Ipad yesterday and found I really like it. What would be the recommended software for pdf, word proc(Office compatible) and fun things.
Thank in advance.

harshness said:
If you don't have enough addresses, you can always use a different router. If your router is combined with the modem, you can stack a more capable one onto your existing router.

I agree with your equating phones to modems. Each phone has its own modem and eats up its own chunk of provider bandwidth. The difference with phones is that there is little need for them to connect with each other and it would be impractical to use a series of phones with a multi-WAN router.

And you should be able to use that phone modem to connect as many devices as possible, just as with your home modem

Anyone using a Linksys E2000 Wireless-N with their Sling Adapter? If so I could use some setting info. I hooked mine into a Siemens dsl/modem, and it made my playing terrible, both on i-Pad and PC.

And you should be able to use that phone modem to connect as many devices as possible, just as with your home modem

I know you would like to believe this but in reality, it just doesn't work regardless of the policy of the billing. Consider a 5 spot device. It is capable of up to 5 ip addresses off one Verizon 3G modem. I have tested this and when only accessing web page content, no streaming audio or video, it can work comfortably up to 3 devices. Try to use 4 devices puinding the net and your hesitation and response will be annoyingly slow. But that is a 5 spot that is dedicated to support 5 IP's on a single line using 3G service ( EVDO Rev A ) Let's look at a cell phone running a 5 IP limit wifi router ap. At best the cell phone only supports 2 devices and both run very slow. Best to stick with just one. In addition, my cell phone also builds excessive heat and shuts down due to high temps with 2 IP's running. A single IP is tolerable but it still eats up battery power fast and the phone gets very warm.

The practical side of this " should allow as many devices as you want" is that the phones are just not designed to handle that many and the 5Spot, while it is designed for 5 IP's still is not fast enough to run the way users expect.

Now I know the billing is a different issue as the request is for many modems to be on one data charge. I can agree with that as a policy. But the argument that it is like a cable modem and devices connected just does not hold water. They should set up the data plans like the voice "family plans" With voice family plans you share the total voice minutes among all the phones in the family. Why not share the data bits among all the data capable phones in the family plan too?

OK, we're talking about how to achieve large number of IP's for a single smart phone modem. First question is what kind of router are you talking about that works with a smart phone modem? Second, the ones I have tried (3) have all been greatly limited by outside factors such as EVDO Rev A speed limits, battery power, and heat buildup. As explained above post, the highest number of connects available I have seen is 5 and this doesn't even work very well unless you keep the connects at 2 or less! Do you know of a multi wan router that connects to multi cell phones? Need to resolve three issues- 1. Is it technically possible? 2. Is the technology commercially available? 3. Will it work in the real world by typical users?

I also JB my iPad this past weekend as well

What is it that you find compelling to JB an ipad? With present iOS, the only thing I find is if I could watch Flash Video when it shows up. Is there something else I'm missing out on? I don't want to do something that becomes more trouble / maintenance than what it's worth.

What is it that you find compelling to JB an ipad? With present iOS, the only thing I find is if I could watch Flash Video when it shows up. Is there something else I'm missing out on? I don't want to do something that becomes more trouble / maintenance than what it's worth.
I am sooooo glad you asked this. I have even looked up jail breaking my iPad on the internet. At least for what I use mine for I see no need. As far tethering it to another device so I don't require an additional data plan doesn't make sense to me. I wish I had gotten a wifi only pad. Darn sure would have been cheaper........

Picked up an Ipad yesterday and found I really like it. What would be the recommended software for pdf, word proc(Office compatible) and fun things.
Thank in advance.

I use Documents to Go. I purchased it for my iTouch but it also walks on iPad. At this point I have not updated to premium version. As for apps Skyfire($4.99), Satellite Guys, 2Do Notes, Nasa, Scrabble, Twit.tv and MLB At Bat(Free Now but will be a Charge when Baseball starts). So far 90% apps are free ones.

Documents to Go is just a solid program, regardless of the platform. Worth the money. IF I were to have an ipad, I'd definitely have it.

Out of curiosity, do the Microsoft Office Web apps work on the ipad's browser?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts