Apple Pay

I usually just rest the phone on the pinpad screen or reader and the phone "lights up" with my credit card image. I suspect waving it might make reception more difficult.

Thanks, that is what I was expecting but I must not have had it close enough.

Today I used Apple Pay at Panera Bread. This chain seem to be really embracing Apple Pay! Not only they have terminals with Apple Pay logo and numerous advertisements at the entrance, they even came out with a nice Apple Pay enabled app that allows you to pre-order and pre-pay your meal in advance. I haven't tried the app yet, but I have a feeling I will be using it often as our Panera Bread gets crowded at lunch and this app will allow me to skip the line.

Do most people only use one card or can you use multiple cards. I use my debit card for 99% of all purchases. But I'll occasionally use a credit card. Will any card work or does the bank have to be a participant in Apple pay? My debit card is issued from my bank but it's a visa debit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can put any card that supports Apple Pay (over 500 banks do). I have 4 in mine. You set a default one to pay with. If you do not want to use the fault you have to pick another one before you put your finger on the reader to complete the transaction.

You can enroll multiple cards in Apple Pay and designate which one will be used by default, or select a card at the time of the purchase. MasterCard is currently running a promo, so I use that one. The bank that issued the card must participate in Apple Pay. You can either call the bank to confirm, or just try enrolling the card and see if it succeeds.

Does it work through the passbook app? If so, I assume you open passbook before the transaction is made?

It does, but you don't even have to open it. It opens on its own when you bring your phone close to the pay terminal. All you have to do is to put your finger on the Home button to confirm the purchase with your fingerprint. True "single-touch" payment!

Reactions: TheForce
I saw a report this morning on Reuters that now any AMEX, VISA and MC will work with Apple Pay. Should no longer be Bank dependent. Has anyone else seen this report? There was also a report that Apple is trying to get Iphone 6 and 6+ into Iran.

It does, but you don't even have to open it. It opens on its own when you bring your phone close to the pay terminal. All you have to do is to put your finger on the Home button to confirm the purchase with your fingerprint. True "single-touch" payment!

In your personal experience what has been the fingerprint success rate? How many times has it failed vs how many attempts?

In your personal experience what has been the fingerprint success rate? How many times has it failed vs how many attempts?

For me, it works the first time nearly every time unless my fingers are wet from just washing and not drying them enough, or just holding a cold drink. My wife usually has a few "try agains" before it reads hers.

I didn't have any problems so far. In most cases it works for me on the first try. Occasionally on the second. I've heard from someone else about problems in hot weather but we didn't have hot weather here...

Thanks, I've had a couple devices here with scanners and none so far has worked reliably. The best was my old Dell laptop that worked about half the time. My Samsung S5, the newest reader was so bad I just considered it a complete waste of time because it gives you a few tries and if they fail, you have to enter the PIN anyway. I switched to the draw pattern which is fast and 100%.

Other than that one flaw with my Galaxy, I really like the phone. For me the iphone 6 and Apple Watch will need to compete with my Galaxy and my Sony Smartwatch 2. Improve on that and I'm a buyer.

I will make this prediction- for you all who have the iphone 6, you will want to have the Apple Watch when it is out. Having the watch as an extension of the phone is so nice. The only improvement would be to have everything in the watch and no phone.

I saw a report this morning on Reuters that now any AMEX, VISA and MC will work with Apple Pay. Should no longer be Bank dependent. Has anyone else seen this report? There was also a report that Apple is trying to get Iphone 6 and 6+ into Iran.

Just got the 6+ and tried my local bank VISA debit. Not authorized.
Used Chase cc instead.

Thanks, I've had a couple devices here with scanners and none so far has worked reliably. The best was my old Dell laptop that worked about half the time. .
I had a fingerprint reader on my old Dell Latitude a few years back and it worked ok. The fingerprint on iPhone 6 is way better, IMO. At least in terms of fewer false-negatives.

I will make this prediction- for you all who have the iphone 6, you will want to have the Apple Watch when it is out. Having the watch as an extension of the phone is so nice.
I don't know. We'll see. I am on the fence. I don't like the idea of charging my watch daily. Plus it looks too bulky to my taste and is rather pricey. Maybe I'll wait for version 2.0 or give Microsoft Band a try! ;)

Thanks, I've had a couple devices here with scanners and none so far has worked reliably. The best was my old Dell laptop that worked about half the time. My Samsung S5, the newest reader was so bad I just considered it a complete waste of time because it gives you a few tries and if they fail, you have to enter the PIN anyway. I switched to the draw pattern which is fast and 100%.

Other than that one flaw with my Galaxy, I really like the phone. For me the iphone 6 and Apple Watch will need to compete with my Galaxy and my Sony Smartwatch 2. Improve on that and I'm a buyer.

I will make this prediction- for you all who have the iphone 6, you will want to have the Apple Watch when it is out. Having the watch as an extension of the phone is so nice. The only improvement would be to have everything in the watch and no phone.
iPhone 8

;)

I had a fingerprint reader on my old Dell Latitude a few years back and it worked ok. The fingerprint on iPhone 6 is way better, IMO. At least in terms of fewer false-negatives.

I don't know. We'll see. I am on the fence. I don't like the idea of charging my watch daily. Plus it looks too bulky to my taste and is rather pricey. Maybe I'll wait for version 2.0 or give Microsoft Band a try! ;)

I too, am concerned about the thickness. I like the size of my Sony. So we'll have to see if the Apple is as good. I have to charge it up every other day, like clockwork. But I use it with over 15 apps that update often. In a test I shut down all but 4 and it ran for 5 days. But why have a smart watch if you don't use it for what it offers? Stuff like weather radar screens, and e-mail inbound chews up the battery faster but is really nice. I also like having GPS maps on my wrist. The web browser is just too small to use efficiently. I never use it for that. But tracking 35 stocks with alerts throughout the day is even better than my desktop. That app has saved me a bit of money.

The good news is, the charge time is much shorter than a phone. I go from 5% to 100% charge in 30 minutes and then good to go for a couple days. I wear mine in bed but set the alerts vibration to sleep mode so it stops tapping me on the wrist every time an e-mail comes in. Then when I take it off to shower and get dressed in the morning, I'll put it on charge when it needs it. Frequent charging just required a bit of adjustment to do it when I don't wear it anyway. The watch also has a 5 pulses of vibration warning when it wants to be recharged. I'm sure Apple watch will also have all these little warning features, plus it is said to have wireless charging. Mine uses a microUSB cable which means it is not sealed and therefore not water resistant.

plus it is said to have wireless charging. Mine uses a microUSB cable which means it is not sealed and therefore not water resistant.
Wireless charging is a good thing and should make daily charging less of a hustle. And at least in theory that should also make waterproofing easier. However, I haven't seen anything posted about Apple Watch being waterproof. I am worried that it might not be.

I think Apple Watch will offer more value for those who haven't upgraded to iPhone 6, as it has NFC and will enable Apple Pay.

Regarding CVS and RiteAid, there have been conflicting items about MCX's CurrentC™ terms and whether a store that signed up (& paid up) to become part of Walmart's (aka MCX) CurrentC™ system is exclusive to that system for mobile payments. At last report I saw, MCX appeared to have backpedalled and now says they would be willing to accept ApplePay at their member PoS terminals. But the members are skittish since there are supposed to be penalties for accepting a non-CurrentC™ payment from a mobile device. And the CurrentC™ system isn't even available (except in the Minneapolis area) so that effectively locks out thousands of locations.

Walgreens didn't join CurrentC™ so they are free to accept ApplePay and Google Wallet via NFC devices. Here's a link to CurrentC™'s merchant list: Our Merchants

CurrentC alliance was formed more than 2 years ago, long before Apple has announced its plans. I wonder if some of the members will reconsider their positions now that Apple Pay is live, gaining its popularity and has already become the leader in contactless payments according to Tim Cook. And the fact that CurrentC has been hacked two days ago is definitely not helping its cause.