Apple WWDC Discussion Thread

After watching the keynote today I'm really looking forward to the upcoming upgrades. What they are doing with interaction between the OSX/iOS devices is fantastic and the improvements to many of the apps seem to be things I really will like. And with all that iCloud integration, even with 3rd party apps, the new pricing is very welcome too!

My iCloud backups of my devices use more than 5GB.
I am most reluctant to back up off site. One more chance for data loss, including all my passwords and other sensitive information. Heck, I'm considering encrypting my HDDs, but I wonder what that would do to my Outlook responsiveness.

5GB iCloud storage is free. I don't believe I've ever used any of it.

5Gb is free, beyond that the cost is pretty high in comparison.

And that's all I have today because of the lack of any real need for cloud storage as defined by Apple and the horrendous cost compared to other more flexible cloud storage providers. But with the changes upcoming in both what you can do with it and how much it costs, I'll be using and paying for it. Full cloud integration across the Apple OS lines and only $48/year for 200Gb makes a pretty compelling argument for me.

5Gb is free, beyond that the cost is pretty high in comparison.

And that's all I have today because of the lack of any real need for cloud storage as defined by Apple and the horrendous cost compared to other more flexible cloud storage providers. But with the changes upcoming in both what you can do with it and how much it costs, I'll be using and paying for it. Full cloud integration across the Apple OS lines and only $48/year for 200Gb makes a pretty compelling argument for me.

Agreed. $48 for 200GB. That's quite reasonable.

And if I understand what they showed, iCloud will be supported by Windows too. Probably similar to what One Drive is doing, but with the addition of all syncing that iCloud has been doing already.

Though the approach is different, this is similar to what we could do with iDisk a few years ago.

Sent from my Surface with Windows 8 Pro using Tapatalk

I thought the application access between imac, ipad and iphone was cool. I wonder what the limitations are. Start working on the imac and continue it on the iphone.

My wife will be our test case since she has iphone, ipad, and imac. She made the transition from PC's without too much trouble.

I've been reading on a few Mac oriented forums and they all pretty much say that the downloads the developers can get now is missing lots of things talked about or that some of the new things only work a little bit and flakey. Sometime this summer Apple will release a BETA to some users that hopefully will be much closer to the finished product.

Interestingly to me was that I was in a "let's switch back to Windows" mode until after I saw the keynote. I don't actually do much with all the tech gear I have these days so the OS isn't a big deal and I would only have to buy a single app for Windows as all others are either there in one form or another or like Sibelius, licensed for both platforms. But these upcoming nifty things just seem so attractive that I think I'll be putting my SurfacePro up on Craigslist soon.

Was having so many issues that I ended up restoring my Macbook Pro back to just after I installed the 10.10 (I could have went back to 10.9 but I have a feeling some of the issues I had a caused myself) It took 6 hours to restore my Macbook pro from Time Machine which was impressive considering it restored over 400 GB of data over my network.

Coming out of the gate, things that were not working yesterday are working today. Yesterday I was getting an error when I tried pairing my iPhone 5S to my Macbook Pro, but today they saw each other and immediately paired. I haven't tried opening email yet, but when I did it yesterday I shut the cover on my laptop when it was doing its update and when I opened it up I was getting the error screen.

So lets see how this goes. :)

Interestingly to me was that I was in a "let's switch back to Windows" mode until after I saw the keynote. I don't actually do much with all the tech gear I have these days so the OS isn't a big deal and I would only have to buy a single app for Windows as all others are either there in one form or another or like Sibelius, licensed for both platforms. But these upcoming nifty things just seem so attractive that I think I'll be putting my SurfacePro up on Craigslist soon.

I think that is one of the big tech developments of the last 3 years... Microsoft's iron grip has really been broken. No longer running Windows is a requirement to get work done. It was really helped along by MS's botching of the Win 8 release, but I believe Apple's iPad was key. It broke the dam and Google Android helped flood the market.

I think that is one of the big tech developments of the last 3 years... Microsoft's iron grip has really been broken. No longer running Windows is a requirement to get work done. It was really helped along by MS's botching of the Win 8 release, but I believe Apple's iPad was key. It broke the dam and Google Android helped flood the market.

Many of us learned a long time ago (or not that long ago) that you can live and work efficiently without Windows. the continuity between OSX and iOS truly enhances the usability 10 times. I already love that if I make a note in OSX's Note app, it shows up on my iPhone and iPad; if I add a contact on my iPhone, it is on my Mac; my photos are all in a common photo stream, there is a nice web-interface to access all of the iCloud features; heck I create Keynote presentations for class, but the classroom computers are windows-based. So I login to iCloud.com, and serve the presentation from the web.

There were only a few apps that I missed when I switched, but in the past three years, each of those are now OSX native. I do not run Parallels, or attempt to run windows in a bootcamp mode. It isn't needed. And tools like DevonThink Pro, and a word processor like Nisus Pro Writer (all the power, none of the bloat of Word), improve my efficiency. The only MS Office app I use regularly is Excel.

I have become a big fan of Notes as well. Love that I type someone on my laptop and can check it on my phone.

The ability for us to put our phones in the charger and still get text's and PHONE CALLS on our laptops is a huge thing for us as is family share. And the new family version of find my iPhone is just what the doctor ordered as well.

BTW having good luck since reverting back overnight with 10.10. Email is now properly importing into the new mail program.

I have become a big fan of Notes as well. Love that I type someone on my laptop and can check it on my phone.

The ability for us to put our phones in the charger and still get text's and PHONE CALLS on our laptops is a huge thing for us as is family share. And the new family version of find my iPhone is just what the doctor ordered as well.

BTW having good luck since reverting back overnight with 10.10. Email is now properly importing into the new mail program.

So, you reverted to Mavericks, and then reinstalled Yosemite a second time?

The only shortcoming with notes is if you paste an image (say a screen shot of a map) into the OSX version, the image does not appear on the Phone or iPad.

I use yahoo mail for my primary email. The notes app on the iPhone/iPad puts the notes into the mail under a "notes" folder. So, I can access from windows too if I need it.

I am pumped about the feel of this wwdc...I feel like Apple has finally put a total package together, and made it seem like if you dont have a mac, and iphone you are missing out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)