Are 99 and 103 full?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ramcm7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
Are the current sats at 99 and 103 at capacity already? Is there any possibility for additional HDLIL rollout before the next launches? I am in the Albany, NY DMA and have been passed over thus far.
:confused:

Are the current sats at 99 and 103 at capacity already? Is there any possibility for additional HDLIL rollout before the next launches? I am in the Albany, NY DMA and have been passed over thus far.
:confused:

The 99 and 103 are up there ready for the next two sats to go up. There is some programming on them currently, but not much.

That said, there is plenty of room on them, keep in mind they are set up for MPEG4 only.

Jimbo

The 99 and 103 are up there ready for the next two sats to go up. There is some programming on them currently, but not much.

That said, there is plenty of room on them, keep in mind they are set up for MPEG4 only.

Jimbo

The satellite positions, band, or modulation schemes have nothing to do with the compression scheme used. They can run MPEG2 on that bird with no issues.

I did a quick count of the MPEG4 channels on SW1/2 based on http://www.dbstalk.com/hr20/html/DIRECTV_lil_list.html and came up with 227 full time channels, I didn't count the part time RSN's that are also there. I would sure hope that those two satellites could handle many more channels then that.

The two existing satellites in the 99 and 103 slots supposedly have capacity for around 500 HD locals between them. DirecTV 10 and 11 will add about 500 more each for a total of around 1500 HD locals once all four satellites are operational.

The satellite positions, band, or modulation schemes have nothing to do with the compression scheme used. They can run MPEG2 on that bird with no issues.

YES, I understand that, but seeing they are supposivly designated for HD mpeg 4, I figured I would not throw this other info into it.
They can do that with all the sats if they are programmed to work that way.

Jimbo

YES, I understand that, but seeing they are supposivly designated for HD mpeg 4, I figured I would not throw this other info into it.
They can do that with all the sats if they are programmed to work that way.

Jimbo

The sats aren't programmed to work anyway. They are really in a nutshell just dumb repeaters. Whatever the uplink sends they send back down...analog..digital..etc.

The sats aren't programmed to work anyway. They are really in a nutshell just dumb repeaters. Whatever the uplink sends they send back down...analog..digital..etc.

however, D* is planning to use them as locations for mpeg 4 programming, it just worked out that way I guess..
What you mentioned is why there were some mpeg 4 stuff up before the 99 and 103 were operational. :)

Jimbo

I did a quick count of the MPEG4 channels on SW1/2 based on http://www.dbstalk.com/hr20/html/DIRECTV_lil_list.html and came up with 227 full time channels, I didn't count the part time RSN's that are also there. I would sure hope that those two satellites could handle many more channels then that.

The present count is 227 HD LiL channels, 6 full time HD RSNs and 22 part time RSNs, for a total of 255 HD channels between Spaceways 1 and 2.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts