Are all the FIOS channels unencrypted?

dlma1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 20, 2005
Murrysville, PA
Not sure I understand your question but I'll try to explain the basics. FIOS is optical to the home, then the ONT distributes signal on either RG-6/59 Coax or ethernet to a router and on to SD boxes and/or HD boxes and/or digital adapters. You cannot simply attach a TV to the coax - at a minimum, the digtial adapter (a "dumb" device with no two way features) is required. The signal is strong enough to be split without signal loss, but a Verizon device is required to receive signals.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
All digital sources will have some delay, over analog, in changing channels. It is the nature of the system. A complete frame must be built up, and digital sends that occasionally, but most frames sent reflect only the difference with the previous frame. Analog sends full frames all the time. This is one of the reasons digital consumes less bandwidth for the same given resolution.

Anyway, you have to tell the ONT which channels you want. It does not feed all channels all times to all points, like older versions of analog did.

dlma1 - are you saying with Fios I could plug a Fios HD DVR into my Ethernet, which plugs into my router, which plugs in to my Fios ONT? And not route my ONT to my coax distributed throughout my house for Dish and OTA?

dlma1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 20, 2005
Murrysville, PA

dlma1 - are you saying with Fios I could plug a Fios HD DVR into my Ethernet, which plugs into my router, which plugs in to my Fios ONT? And not route my ONT to my coax distributed throughout my house for Dish and OTA?

Navychop, no, not exactly. In my house, like most people, I had pre-wired coax, so the Verizon installer chose to configure the ONT to send signals thru coax to the router and TV devices. In some newer homes, Ethernet is also available pre-wired, so the Verizon installer may choose to use ethernet as delivery method to the router and TV devices. So it is possible but I don't think that it is user configurable - you would have to talk to Verizon tech rep to be sure.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
OK. I wired my home extensively with coax for Dish and OTA (separate runs), telephone and Ethernet. With my coax all terminating in the attic, an Ethernet solution has greater appeal, if it would support two HDTVs and perhaps one SDTV.

dlma1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 20, 2005
Murrysville, PA
I think it is possible but again I'm only a relatively technically savvy customer but not an installer. So I think a call with a true Verizon tech is in order.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Well, I'm going to call for an accurate price. I doubt the CSR will know about signal distro, but it's a start to find someone who can answer it.

Bob Haller

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 11, 2003
pittsburgh pa
Verb has posted that repeatedly but when questioned directly he denies it...

It would be nice if FIOS meant reception like the old analog.

The people selling FIOS tv havent a clue how it works....... although the one gal is so beautiful her answers dont matter:)

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Really? You don't need a set top box?

Thats not what that means. You need a cable card in any box, tivo or PC tuner card inorder to get the channels. By unencrypted I mean they can be COPIED! Unlike E* D* or most cable compaines. All programming is unprotected in my area. That means that once it hits your Tivo's hard drive you can do ANYTHING you want to with it without having to break some protection scheme and unscramble it.

Juan

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Moscow Russia
They had a "select" number of analog channels (just locals and educationals) until about a year and 1/2 ago

vurbano

Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
You may still have HDCP to deal with.
nope. I copy HD material evey day from FIOS with a tivo to tivodesktop software then export with videoredo to whatever format I please. Even burn HD mpegs to BD. This is all extracted from the tivo hard drive to a computer HD. No HDMI HDCP or anything like that involved.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
OK. I wired my home extensively with coax for Dish and OTA (separate runs), telephone and Ethernet. With my coax all terminating in the attic, an Ethernet solution has greater appeal, if it would support two HDTVs and perhaps one SDTV.

If you run Gig Ethernet you should easly be able to support that. Mind you this isnt ATT's service were talking about so I dont see you having any issues! :up

vurbano

Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Verb has posted that repeatedly but when questioned directly he denies it...
What the heck are you talking about? And where have I not answered this? I am talking about encryption as in a CP flag. Of course you need a cable card to get the channels, you cant steal them. But once you have the program on a device its yours no copy protection or scrambling. Go here http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/ and here http://www.tivo.com/buytivo/tivo-accessories/software/tivodesktoppc.html and read read read.

Last edited:

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I meant down the road studios might start requiring HDCP on certain programming on Fios.

vurbano

Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
I meant down the road studios might start requiring HDCP on certain programming on Fios.
I know. So far it hasnt happened. Fios is the only one I know of that is in the clear. Its really THE reason I have Tivohd's. Without it, the ballgame changes for me unless dealdatabase comes up with a ???????. I just wish I knew what Haller was accusing me of? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)