Are the ION HD feeds on AMC-1 gone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ancient

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2014
USA
Lyngsat shows several high definition ION feeds on AMC-1 (103 W) but I am not able to receive any of them. The PBS channels on that satellite come in fine, as do the ION SD feeds on 3840H. But, I cannot seem to receive the HD feeds, or anything at all for that matter, on 4040H or 4160H. On 3840H Lyngsat shows a HD feeds channel (channel 15 of that mux) and I do get that but right now it is just color bars, however I don't get the ION TV Pacific HD channel 23 that Lyngsat shows in that mux. Did ION pull all their HD feeds off the satellite or is it just some issue with my equipment, or what?

I have no ION signals today, thought maybe my horizontal voltage was not working....but I have horizontal feeds working fine on another fixed dish LNB on C-band through multiple switches and longer wire.. so voltage is okay. Been all through my settings. Double checked. But also missing Lesea feeds which are horizontal on 99W today.. which could be dish alignment, but last night all was good. So, I either have a HUGE coincidence here with you, or a bad combined c/ku LNB on my motorized dish and you have a different issue. I've been doing so much in the past 24 hours, I could have messed up a setting.

By the way, someone help me refresh my memory....in our hobby, Horizontal and Vertical voltages remain constant across both C and Ku, correct? (in terms of what polarity is assigned to what voltage in a typical LNB)

103W ION feeds are currently active on 4040 and 3840. Pacific HD feed is looking good on 4040. Don't see any lock on 4160.

99w LESEA mux is currently active.

Polarity switching is the same for typical C or KU LNBFs. Horizontal polarity is selected with 18Vdc and Vertical is 13Vdc. Typically LNBF switch polarity with a few volts on either side of these voltages. Example: Vertical could be active 11-15Vdc and Horizontal 16-20Vdc.

My best guess in MY situation, then is that we have a failure of the C/Ku LNB on the C-horizontal side of my motorized dish. Before leaving to come to our fair for broadcasting, I checked and have some "H" feeds on Ku on dedicated dish with 22khz turned on, port 1, and and some Horizontals from a C-band on port 3 of a different 4-place diseqc fed by the off side 22khz.. Only thing left is an intermittent C-band horizontal inside the LNB on the motorized dish. Thoughts?

Darn! Those combo LNB's aren't cheap anymore....but handy to have for "occasional use & scanning, only as directed." (for my fulltime feeds and entertainment I like fixed dishes.)

Last edited:
Reactions: joeroscoe1957
""My best guess in MY situation"" Good guess as they are 100% there. Maybe a bit of corrosion on/in a connector causing a voltage drop?? Maybe just a loose connection??

All tight, the system got a good going over yesterday. Will look at it, however....anything's possible. It'll be a Friday project now, can replace combined c/ku with C-only to verify, can live without a few "occasional use" ku's on the motorized dish for a few days. The ones I really like are on fixed dishes. Ever notice how Murphy's law comes in to play and you never have a failure of a part that you need to order at the early part of the week so it can get to you by the weekend? Especially when it's a project or hobby normally enjoyed on weekends!

will check! When this is "on" its such a neat setup. When its got an issue, it's a bear. Kind of like keeping an AM radio station's directional pattern "in"....

103W ION feeds are currently active on 4040 and 3840. Pacific HD feed is looking good on 4040. Don't see any lock on 4160.

Thanks for looking. For 4040, what are you using for symbol rate and FEC? Lyngsat indicates that it is 8PSK, 30000 SR and 2/3 FEC, is that correct? It's strange that I can't see it because 3840 is coming in fine except for the "ION TV Pacific" HD feed that is supposed to be on SID 23. Good string signal on that transponder, but not even a weak signal on 4040. But both SD and HD feeds of PBS East on 4091 also have a strong signal, so it's not a frequency rolloff issue or something weird like that.

My 7.5ft mesh and openbox missed this ION pacific HD until I edited the SR to 30k. Then I had to bump my dish West a click to get it up to 50Q.

Didn't check my 10ft and MicroHD yet. Edit: 75Q and crystal clear.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It is a 7.5 foot mesh but I have been trying 30000 SR all along and also moved the dish but so far nothing helps. And it's only that one frequency that seems to be missing.

I'm aware on the Ku side of that satellite there is something weird about the skew, but is that by any chance also true for the C-band side? If so, when you are looking at the back of the LNB, facing the dish, should the LNB be rotated clockwise or counterclockwise from the "normal" position?

With regard to my coincidental issue to the original post in this thread;

Check the voltage at the LNBF. Maybe the new switch path is causing a voltage drop that prevents the polarity switch to horizontal?

I think we've narrowed it down to faulty C-band horizontal section of the c/kul LNB...came home from dinner tonite, it was a few degrees cooler, and ALL channels are coming in. We have no bees in the LNB's....and, per previous posts, "other" Horizontals are coming in fine on other LNB's in the system. Looks like in the heat of the day we lose the horiz. channels on the dish with the motor. A Satguys member has a c/ku and is helping me out! Remember: ALWAYS ASK HERE FIRST if you know of a member who sells satellite equipment before going anywhere else...it's like the 'net version of 'shop locally!" I can't wait to try a new LNB.....and, if it stays cool out and have no more issues, I think the problem's been nailed!

Finally some "closure" on my issue of channels disappearing!
A "saga" ongoing problem is solved!

7 feeds, 6 dishes, two receivers which have driven me nuts....My MicroHD was losing voltages and channels, and of late, my newest, the Amiko MiniHD did the same. Noticed "pausing" on Me-TV, then other channels, then a loss of most horizontal feeds to my receiver, and while some would work, some wouldn't.

I'd been using a 22khz switch which then allowed a 4 place diseqc on each side of the 22khz switch to make all dishes respond to one receiver. A combo C and Ku on the main motorized birdview, then fixed C-band on 137 West and a fixed Ku on 103 for Cozi filled up one diseqc. The other side of the 22khz'and its diseqc was for a fixed 125 ku, a 72 west ku, and a 97 west ku, with a free port available. 7 of 8 available feeds.

I Suspected a temperature issue in the C-band portion of LNB on the C/ku caused horizontal failure yesterday, as other horizontal feeds on adjacent dishes were okay. Then, this morning, other channels on other feeds started "freezing" with the "no signal" warning on the screen of the Amiko box. It was a cool morning.

So, it was either the single feedline, or the switching, or the receiver. Pretty much assumed it was not the receiver, nor the feedline because it was newly buried and newly installed. We'd removed LOTS of extra cable which used to make a stop in my RV where the Vbox positioner used to be located. (for the last few years, my FTA fed my RV which was my fulltime home....when I moved to the station apartment, we just added cable and waited for a time to do the move and permanent install.) Anyway, cable was only a remote suspect, not in the front of my mind as the offending component.

The birdview has a fiberglass box holding the multiple switches on it's pole, so I pulled them out. Remembering that the MicroHD which I had did not play nicely with an 8-place diseqc, I had doubts, but checked the Amiko miniHD menu, and instead of having to use the first 8 places of a 16x switch, it had provision on the diseqc 1.1 menu for an 8-place switch. So, I started transferring leads. #1 was first, and it defaulted through and worked even before changing from diseqc protocol 1.0 to 1.1. Then, knowing THAT worked, I transferred the former #3 port from 22khz "off" side to port 3 of the 8 port, walked back in, changed the menu, and THAT dish's feed lit up! I continued through each of them, and when finished, I had restored all of the signals without a 22khz switch. Thus far, no freezing of the pictures, and the switching to and from the fixed dishes seems much quicker.

I've read all the diagrams for switching on the FTA's FAQ section of satelliteguys, and my older setup SHOULD have worked without glitches. Perhaps it's current loss in the cable, (but there's probably no more than 125 total feet) perhaps it's just that the newer receiver appears (from it's manual) to put out less LNB current than the MicroHD. Either way, with one switch instead of 3, the system is steady and reliable again. it also seemed to gain more stability even on the 125 West PBS feeds! I've had OETA and Montana every time I've checked them today.

With one open feed on this 8-way switch, I hope there's a way to expand beyond just the one port which is still available for expansion. With less loss overall, I hope this will not keep me from further growth, since there's plenty of room for more dishes on my property! I'm finding that fixed dishes for Ku are preferable to my motorized one, especially for feeds I frequent.

Along the way, I ordered a replacement c/ku combo LNB from a satellitguys member, and he graciously has included a new 8-way switch. I plan to have those in reserve and am grateful for his help... but...I also now have a couple GREAT possibilities.....

I can finally say that my former receiver, a MicroHD was working, but needed to better "talk" to an 8-way switch. It had displayed similar issues as my new receiver, but it didn't want to communicate well through the 16-port menu required to run an 8-port switch. This may be fixed with a firmware update. I'd been running it on the original firmware. It's been on the shelf for awhile. I'll flash it back to latest factory firmware, and use it as a spare...until.....I get the chance to assemble a new system for a friend of mine whose family just "cut the cord!" He's making GREAT over the air antennas, one of which is on their house, and one of which is on our station RV.( In our location it brings in 30-plus channels!) I have a lead on a Winegard BUD, which is free. We'll move that to my buddy's house, add a V-box, and a combo LNB, and bring a NEW person into the family of FTA enthusiasts! This is another good thing!

I've just enjoyed an hour of uninterrupted reception on a horizontal feed which was not "there" this morning. It's a pleasure to watch, and it's personally rewarding to find the problem.

So, what should we title this "little writeup?"

"Wait and Switch"...

"Save your riches, check those switches!"

"Which switch is which?"

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
Happy to hear that you got the 8x1 working. I went to an 8x1 about 3 years ago, even though at the time I only needed 3 inputs. I got fed up with the 4x1's going out every few weeks or sometimes days....and I ordered every recommend brand out there. Once I went to 8x1, zero problems in 3 years with a switch. :)
You will have a couple of back up switches now and an extra 22K to think of future possibilities. ;)

That's my plan for the near future. Replace 4x1's and 22Khz with an 8x1. Should also result in less L band loss. 1 switch instead of two between RX and dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)