Are there ANY former E* users that have switched to D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ClemTiger0408

Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Indianapolis
The last few years I've been an E* subscriber. I am not about to move off on my own for the first time and I am debating between E* and D*. I know these threads probably come and go, but hear me out.

Every comparison review between the two says it comes down to "if you like sports, get D*. If not, get E*.". Well, I like sports. I LOVE sports. I've been devastated by the fact that I cannot get MLB EI nor NFL Sunday Ticket on Dish.

So it should be a clear choice, right? Wrong.

I also LOVE the E* hardware. The dual room receiver with DVR support for both TVs is amazing. I haven't heard the best things about D*'s hardware. I have two TVs, one is HD and the other is SD.

Should hardware make or break this deal for me? I've always known E* and so I'm worried about making the switch. I love my sports, but I love solid hardware.

Can anyone who has made the switch from E* to D* recently enough to have had the recent hardware on Dish comment on if he/she has regrets after switching?

This is really a loaded question as there are many people on all sides of the fence. I had a 622 when I was with Dish and it is a better DVR than Directv's model but not by far IMO. I also did not like the TV2 feature like you do.

OK, dual tuners, so what. For me it doesn't matter, my all three TVs are HD, why do I need a second SD feed?
With Dish I had 1 HD DVR and used it with the projector (via HDMI) and HDTV (via component. It worked. With DirecTV I took two HD DVRS and now can watch two independent programs in HD. It cost me extra $5/month. With Dish I should shell another HD DVR fee ($6?, do not remember) to accomplish that.
As for the quality of hardware and GUI features I can't see any advantage for one provider over another.
Overall I like D* much more now then I liked Dish.

I switched 7 months ago. I have to admit Direct's DVR is not that bad. It does pretty much everything that my 622 did but it does not control 2 tvs. I just got a second SDDVR for the other tv since it is not HD. I used the AAA discount. One reason for the switch is MLB channel and MLBEI.

I rarely ever used the dual tuner feature.. was nice.. but not needed.. I'd rather have two receivers personally..

everyone says e* hardware is great, which I agree with.. however the software leaves a bad taste in your mouth.. the number of bugs released on their customers every month or two is awe inspiring.. I've had my OTA be completely useless to the DVR playback being completely useless.. to good lord.. so many software issues..

only thing I really dislike about d*'s box is the speed of it.. menus / channels are slow to respond.. makes you wonder if you hit a button on the remote.. other than that.. I'm partial to d* right now.. i enjoy the stability of the software over any hardware goodies..

I switched about 8 months ago and I wonder why I didn't do it sooner..For me it was about the 129 bird I could'nt watch one program off that bird for more than 10 min then it would lose signal...west coast thing

This is good, I like it. I am definitely getting pulled towards DirecTV.

I will say, however, that those of you shrugging of the dual tuners... I really do like that feature. My other TV right now is only SD and it is very nice to be able to watch DVR recorded on the main TV from my second TV. Now my debate is whether or not that feature is important enough to base this decision on.

I will say, however, that those of you shrugging of the dual tuners... I really do like that feature. My other TV right now is only SD and it is very nice to be able to watch DVR recorded on the main TV from my second TV. Now my debate is whether or not that feature is important enough to base this decision on.

MRV is coming soon (see the CE forum) and will allow you to view material recorded on one DVR (R22 or HR2x) from another or from a H21/H23 receiver.

I'm also in the process of considering a move to D*, and I also am a former E* subscriber and have recently moved. The only thing holding me back is that D* does not offer my locals while E* does. So, with D* I am having to order OTA tuners for 4 boxes, plus the OTA install itself. After all this, the up front cost is at $400 (including one extra HD box for $99, which I'm fine with).

I just find this a little unacceptable, when the whole point is to get savings for signing up as a new customer. I would love to sign up, but this is kind of crazy considering I know someone here who signed up with D* a couple years ago who needed OTA also, and got it all for $0.

I switched from Dish a couple of years ago because of the loss of MLB EI and I got tired of networks being dropped with no notice. Yes the hardware with E* is outstanding though I didn't care for the TV2 option. I guess I would rather have a dedicated box for each TV. But the hardware (no matter how good it is) is only as good as the programming that is provided. No MLB EI, no E* for me! I have had an HR21 since it was first released and I have to say that it is getting a lot better. It's not at a ViP 722 perfection but it's certainly not as bad as D* hardware was a couple of years ago. I used to have to reset it at least once a week. Now I can go a month or so without rebooting.

The MRV that is coming to DirecTV will be miles better than what Dish offers now. In fact you can download the software during certain CE tests (on weekends) and take advantage before it is officially released. Many subs on here are already doing so.

The DirecTV Multi-Room Viewing allows you to view content from any DVR in your house to any receiver in your house.

Scott mentions the fact that you will not even need a router or a CAT6 line (like the current setup requires) when it comes out. It will run through the existing COAX from your Dish and a multiswitch.

Here is video of someone from DBSTalk using the MVR.

I understand your point, if you don't need two separate signals, then look into one of those composite (yellow/red/white) wire to coax boxes.. I think sadoun has em..

I was considering it before I got a hava box off woot (sling like box) which will allow me to use it as a Media Center tuner.. which means I can watch my main box in my bedroom media center and on my extenders which is really nice..

personally I always used the 622 in single tuner mode and just watch my dvr records in other rooms which was nice.. but now we can watch it on the tv.. and with the hava I can play it on my media center.. so I'm good.. :)

I have switched but am still (not so patiently) waiting on the install, but I have messed around with my parents HD DVR quite a bit. Concerning the D* has better sports vs. E* has better hardware argument....I think that D* sports programming being better is a much bigger difference than E*'s equipment being better than D*. (If that makes any sense.) D* seems to be catching up, and in fact, in terms of features (remote dvr scheduling, directv2pc, mrv) is far ahead of E*. So to me, it was worth the switch.

I switched over a year ago...

To me, programing is #1, equipment is #2. Plus, as a sports fan, D* has MANY perks and reasons to chose them over the competitor.

Besides as others said, DirecTV's HD DVR works fine. It doesn't have the two-room DVR functionality yet, but other than that, it does everything you want and expect from a DVR.

I also switched just over 12 months ago .. hardware, the 622 was slightly better than the HR-2x that i got ... however the software on the HR unit was in my opinion much better than the software on the 622 ...

I too never used the SD room two ... or the Picture in Picture ... not being able to record three things at a time was the biggest loss for me .. but i gained the media player capability and the far superior on-demand programming.

What good is hardware if you don't have anything to watch on it ... ?

I'm glad i moved, I doubt I'd ever go back to E just for hardware .... maybe for $$$'s savings .. but certainly not for hardware ... on the other hand .. if I was with E right now ... I'd make the jump again in a heartbeat for programming that i want or for $$$'s savings ...

It just seems much more professional over this side of the fence ... Of course - having said that .. it'll take you a few weeks to get used to the channel lineup locations and the navigation of the software ... at first you will hate it because its different ... but if you can wait out the first few weeks of doubt - you will soon wonder why you waited so long.

I made the switch in December.

D* benefits:
Sports, sports, sports
Much better On Demand selection
Better MRV *when* it comes out
iPhone App for scheduling
More professional (less contract disputes)

E* benefits:
Movies, movies, movies
More capacity to add HD until D* launches D12 late this year/early next
722 is better than the HRXX, IMHO
TV1/2 for second SD TV or PiP (I really miss PiP, most don't)
Better on-screen guide (longer [3 hours?], crisper, channels in a sensical pattern [D*'s are a CF!]).
Record 3 things at once with OTA

I made the switch.

Installation was a pain, though that was likely more the fault of a dishonest inataller that Directv tmemselves.

Once it was installed though, I was led to a whole new world.

From my standpoint... Dish offers more movie choices... especially in HD... but Direc offers much more Sports choices... while still offering more than enough movie choices.

DirecTV is the way to go in my book... as th movie differnce, pales in comparison to the sports difference

I switched over a year ago...

To me, programing is #1, equipment is #2. Plus, as a sports fan, D* has MANY perks and reasons to chose them over the competitor.

Besides as others said, DirecTV's HD DVR works fine. It doesn't have the two-room DVR functionality yet, but other than that, it does everything you want and expect from a DVR.

If you are a sports fan, then there is a clear difference between the two services and equipment should never trump programming material. Unless....that dual SD tuner means that much to you. For me, I have had two HDTVs for a few years now and hated the TV2 SD tuner when I was with Dish. Not to mention the signal quality is pretty poor.

I'd suggest you price out the difference between one 622/722 and two comparable DirecTV units. I'm sure D* customer service can provide you with the info you need to know. If the price is close, it should be a no brainer....switch. Yes, things are a bit slower on D* compared to E* but this is more of a perk than a deal switcher. BTW, I found the D* stuff less buggy than the E* equipment.....a bit ironic since D* got off to such a rough start with their HD DVR units.

Two questions...

1. How many HD programs can the HD DVR record at once?

2. Which receiver can I use for MRV? Can I use the standard SD one, or does the other one need to be DVR as well?

Status
Please reply by conversation.