AT&T To Buy DIRECTV for $67 Billion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeah looks like this is going to happen for sure so it will be interesting to see what kind of offers they have from both sides..

This was the big news today:
FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler said Tuesday he has circulated to his fellow FCC commissioners the agency's proposed order approving the acquisition, which would create one of the largest U.S. pay-TV providers. AT&T and DirecTV will have to agree to some conditions for the final approval, he said.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2015/07/21/fcc-set-approve-t-directv-deal/30484649/

Also hit WSJ after market close this afternoon.

I wonder how much would change for markets without ATT broadband? In Denver we have centurylink or xfinity as our choices. Post merger I don't think much changes for these kind of markets except the name change? ATT TV? ATT directv?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be cool if they bought out century link and threw some capex into it. I have fiber with them but they wont offer 1gig service! 100/50 is where they cap it at. Come on man! Its Fiber! Bump it up!

It would be cool if they bought out century link and threw some capex into it. I have fiber with them but they wont offer 1gig service! 100/50 is where they cap it at. Come on man! Its Fiber! Bump it up!
I can assure you, they nor anyone else wants CenturyLink. AT&T and Verizon are trying to get out of copper, and in most areas, that is all CenturyLink is.

I can't imagine trying to PAY for 100/50, let alone 1 gig.

If the areas competitors offer similar speeds then the prices stay competitive with lower speeds in other areas.

I know my town, until recently, only had 6 mbps dsl and 10 mbps cable. I had the cable, and it ran $80 a month.

Now we have uverse with 18mbps at $50. And cable offers 10 mbps for $40. Both will (should) see bumps to the 24-50mbps range within the next year (hopefully) with the prices staying in line with what it is now.

I think it's safe to say that there is no set $/baud value anywhere in the US. You would thank that U-verse would be the same price anywhere but msmith's 18mbps price is the same I pay for 24 Mbps. Now, maybe he has U-verse TV on top or doesn't have voice or one of any number of variables that may influence the price.

In our city we have a business co-op that manages the dark fiber run through our area. They were advertising two years ago the idea of fiber internet for $1/mo per Mbps. At first I'm all "where do I sign?" but then the clinker is "for 1 Gbps service". That makes Comcast's Pro Fiber deal sound fantastic at $299/mo for 2 Gbps. Now all I need to do is find 20 other people willing to share the costs and bandwidth.

With as much rain and snow as we get in my area, I'm curious how well AT&T will do selling DBS dishes for TV content when they've been pushing the U-verse advantage that it stays on when the skies darken.

If the areas competitors offer similar speeds then the prices stay competitive with lower speeds in other areas.

I know my town, until recently, only had 6 mbps dsl and 10 mbps cable. I had the cable, and it ran $80 a month.

Now we have uverse with 18mbps at $50. And cable offers 10 mbps for $40. Both will (should) see bumps to the 24-50mbps range within the next year (hopefully) with the prices staying in line with what it is now.

Everywhere that I have seen for the most part 1 Gig is 70 bucks to 100 bucks. Right now I get 40 Meg's for 19.99 a month.

109.99 In my area. That will go down when Google Fiber starts laying fiber in this summer.

100 down in Vegas is like $75 plus fees and taxes. Pretty sure 1gb is $150+.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 3.46.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 3.46.01 PM.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: harmlesslyfatal
Everywhere that I have seen for the most part 1 Gig is 70 bucks to 100 bucks. Right now I get 40 Meg's for 19.99 a month.

Promotional or regular price?

In my area, Detroit, Michigan, and the Internet speeds were increased by more than one provider. But, there is no 1Gbps available.

Comcast has more than 100Mbps. And that costs, regularly, close to $100 per month. (I'm with its 75Mbps, up from 50Mbps, tier which costs around $75 to $80 per month.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im on a retention rate from Comcast/Xfinity for 150/20 +1tv (had to bundle) for 79.99/mo and short of the commercial accounts with 505 that is the fastest available locally.

They wont roll fiber residentialy right now. I read a story a while ago on dslreports about a metro e install but that was when it was still 305 and now theyre at 505. Still no 1gbs service that I know of in my area.

In many markets they are just providing such speeds at no extra charge to existing accounts. In reality, it costs the consumer nothing to not much extra. I think the ISP's are trying to look generous to the FCC and justify their ISP high rates as they are anyway.

In many markets they are just providing such speeds at no extra charge to existing accounts. In reality, it costs the consumer nothing to not much extra. I think the ISP's are trying to look generous to the FCC and justify their ISP high rates as they are anyway.
My IS is charging $50+ for 26mg, and advertising for another $15 they will jump me to 50 mg for a year, not sure what it is after that.
I am trying to Lower my bill and they offer to increase it. WHAT Part Of that Call did they not understand.

DirecTV Jumps as FCC Nods to AT&T Merger, Charter Rises on Merger Efforts http://www.thestreet.com/story/1322...on-merger-efforts.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO
DirecTV (DTV - Get Report) advanced after the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) chairman gave his approval of the merger with AT&T (T). Charter Communications (CHTR - Get Report) advanced after reports surfaced it was close to wrapping up its Time Warner Cable (TWC) bid.DirecTV jumped 0.31% to close at $92.83, on a day when the broader markets fell.The digital entertainment company apparently got a boost after FCC Chairman Thomas Wheeler on Tuesday recommended to the commissioners that they approve DirecTV's merger with AT&T, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal.The four commissioners who reviewed the order are expected to sign off on the $48.5 billion deal, according to The Journal. The proposed telecom merger with DirecTV and AT&T is just one of several deals that are in the works in the industry.

Reuters: FCC approves AT&T-DirecTV merger
Jul 23 2015, 21:13 ET | About: AT&T Inc. (T) | By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor

AT&T's $49B deal to acquire DirecTV has gotten approval from the FCC, Reuters reports, passing the final regulator hurdle to combine the companies.
Three of the five commissioners have voted in favor of the deal with the conditions previously reported, according to sources. Earlier Thursday, commissioner Mike O'Rielly said he voted in favor, adding his support to the known yes vote from agency Chairman Tom Wheeler.
The signoff means the FCC is likely to announce the vote on Friday. The Justice Dept. had signed off on the deal Tuesday, leaving the FCC as the last step.
Today: AT&T (NYSE:T) fell 1.1% in regular trading, and gained 2.3% after hours following its earnings report; DirecTV (NASDAQ:DTV) fell 0.7% during market hours and gained 1.7% after hours.
Previously: AT&T call: Seeing $2.5B synergies as DirecTV deal nears OK (Jul. 23 2015)
Previously: AT&T up 1.8% after solid earnings beat (Jul. 23 2015)
Previously: FCC chairman lays out conditions for AT&T/DirecTV approval order (Jul. 21 2015)
http://seekingalpha.com/news/2654215-reuters-fcc-approves-at-and-t-directv-merger#email_link

Reactions: DS0816
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts