DIRECTV GEMINI: Official Way to Allow a DIRECTV Internet C71KW-400 WORK FOR SATELLITE

detuch254

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 7, 2021
New Jersey
Good evening everyone! After much research and struggle, I've finally been told of a way to get the Gemini C71KW-400 boxes for STREAM use to be used on satellite, perfectly fine. This method was originally told to me by user @Good4U on the DIRECTV Community Forums, so shoutout to him.

1. FACTORY Reset your Gemini
Internet box by pressing the red reset button for 20 seconds.

2. When your Gemini with DIRECTV STREAM firmware is finished with this, it will boot up to where you press the 'OK' button followed by "BACKWARDS" and "FORWARD" BUTTONS. During this process, ensure that your Gemini is NOT plugged into ethernet (no internet connectivity at all).

4. Once you get to the section where you put in your WiFi password, press 2326 on the remote. This should restart your Gemini with DIRECTV STREAM firmware.

5. Once it is booted back up, follow the same remote pairing procedure as in the beginning of step 2. Then, instead of being greeted with the Internet WiFi settings, you should be brought to 'ADD YOUR GEMINI'.

6. You have officially converted your DIRECTV STREAM Gemini box to a DIRECTV SATELLITE Gemini receiver.

I am not aware on a way to convert a DIRECTV SATELLITE box to DIRECTV STREAM yet. So, if you follow this method, there is NO TURNING BACK!!

Thank you for reading this. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions below. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Box fee as in the TV Access Fee? If you are simply swapping a Genie client active on the account for the Gemini, you'll still have to pay the traditional $7/mo Access fee.

UPDATE: As far as going back to the streaming app after you have completely the above method, I was able to do so by essentially performing a factory reset on the Gemini (the simple 20 second holding of the red reset button). Your mileage may vary, so even attempting this method and expecting to be able to get your DIRECTV STREAM app back after having changed it to the satellite app is a risk. It worked for me, but it may not work for you if your Gemini runs a different firmware and/or was manufactured at a different time (who knows?) As we are still in the early stage of exploring this topic, a wide range of info is unavailable but as time goes by I will definitely be able to answer more questions as I discover more new info. Thanks everyone..

I have a few questions, that hopefully somebody can clarify for me. :)

I have a Gemini/Osprey box from when we tested out DirecTV Stream earlier this year.

Because our internet is kinda spotty, we decided to cancel it and go with DirecTV via Satellite with Genie and two minis.
We currently pay $15 (ARS) and $7 twice (minis).

We have a guest bedroom with a Roku that is signed into the DTV App. It's rarely ever used.

My questions are:

1.) If I wanted to do this and add one of the Gemini/Osprey boxes on using this method (in additional to the Genie and minis), would DirecTV charge me another $7 fee for this box? I bought the box outright when we tried streaming.

2.) If I did this, would the Gemini/Osprey device require an internet connection? Our current setup doesn't require one. Our internet goes out fairly sporadically and can sometimes be out for days.

3.) Would it be better to just sign into the Gemini as it as and use it as a streaming device instead of the Roku?

Thanks!

Y'all are incredible. I love the passion that everybody has!! :) :)

Re: Winterwinds:

1- Yes the $7 would apply if you use it as a client, or you would need to deactivate a mini. If HS17 Genie 2, don't do this as MAC address must be registered.
2- Yes or it will deactivate at 30 days
3 - Yes, just login and use it as a streaming device if it lets you since the room is rarely used and save the $7.

Reactions: WinterWinds
Re: Winterwinds:

1- Yes the $7 would apply if you use it as a client, or you would need to deactivate a mini. If HS17 Genie 2, don't do this as MAC address must be registered.
2- Yes or it will deactivate at 30 days
3 - Yes, just login and use it as a streaming device if it lets you since the room is rarely used and save the $7.

Okeedoke! That clears it up. Thank you!!

I'm wondering if you have a Gemini that boots into a "DIRECTV for Internet" account, can you change it to work with a DIRECTV STREAM login, like an Osprey would? Maybe a different code?

I'm wondering if you have a Gemini that boots into a "DIRECTV for Internet" account, can you change it to work with a DIRECTV STREAM login, like an Osprey would? Maybe a different code?
Yes. You'd have to bypass the network settings in order for the Gemini to not be able to determine its current account configuration. I don't recall if this was simply by choosing to continue setup without an internet connection, or by simply plugging in an Ethernet cable and quickly thereafter unplugging it after the network setup was bypassed. I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016