Audio calibration was today

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Jeff Meier was in town, so I hired him for an audio and video calibration. Video was straightforward with great results, but I was curious about audio because Id never had a detailed one done before.

In the pre analysis, he found treble too high (bad with horns) and the center channel was low (I kinda felt this was true). Basically he put the EQ in manual mode in the Marantz, put the fronts and center to 0.0db level, and adjusted the sub to them. I ended with a sub gain of 10:30, instead of 9 oclock, and the fronts were 0.0db with the center being at 1.0db. He ran tests on several of the Hsu modes, and found 20hz mode to be about the best; I was previously running in 25hz mode for a little more midbass with less low end.

Surprisingly, he found the Klipsch fronts and center worked well set to small, and 40hz! I'll be curious to see what I think when I watch Prometheus Sunday night, but for now the system is sounding great on recorded tv shows. I really like the new results with the center channel, lot more in your face on shows, sounds like its holding its own against the rest of the speakers.

He pointed out where to put 3 acoustic panels, which should really get me close to where I need to be. As someone who mainly recommends Ryhtmik, SVS and JL, he was impressed with the VTF15 output and said he was going to add it to his list of subs to recommend. Here is the final in room response after he finished

Untitled-6.png

Is this 1/3 octave smoothed?

IIRC, you don't have much in the way of acoustical treatment right now and that's a nice response without much treatment.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

you have a severe peak at 40 hz and I would consider moving your crossover away from that frequency. I'd consider 60-80 hz instead.

Thanks.

Not sure one #1, and no I do not have any treatment.

After the results of the RT60 reverb he showed me, he explained that I was not far off but 3-5 panels would probably get me there. That'll be the next project in a month or two. I figured the 3 panels would mess with the calibration, but he said I was safe to add them which is nice.

Here is the other chart

Untitled-7.png

in general panels don't handle much below 200 hz without some serious thickness (and often high pricing). it'll surely help with rt60 results and smooth out above 1k.

Did he also run some noise floor (nc for noise criterion) ? This helps show what your usable dynamic range is.

My room used to be right around NC20 with hvac off and NC25 with hvac on but I have a network switch with fans now that has raised that figure.

Eventually I'll crack the case open and replace them with quieter fans but that's a low priority at this point.

John,

Considering the manual EQ adjustments in the AVR are done from 63hz and up, am I safe in assuming that if I wanted to try the fronts and center crossed at say 60hz, instead of 40hz crossed, changing that has no affect on the audio calibration of the EQ?

I bumped to 60, and just during football and commercials, more full sound. I guess because I moved that front/center 40-60hz to the sub. I'm pretty comfortable with the fronts at 60, because with dual 8's they should be fine, but 40hz seems low. Granted I'm sure room gain factored in to that because audyssey always set them 40 as well.

What are your room dimentions? Just curious.

I'm kinda thinking 60hz is where it's at. Everything sounds great, balanced and I'm getting plenty of punch from the sub.

Movie tomorrow night will be a great test.

without seeing before and after its tough to tell if it's measurably better.

Just FYI, in my experience when properly calibrated you shouldn't notice the sub it should be a seamless extension of the mains until something comes around and you notice oh yeah it was there all along!

John Kotches said:
without seeing before and after its tough to tell if it's measurably better.

Just FYI, in my experience when properly calibrated you shouldn't notice the sub it should be a seamless extension of the mains until something comes around and you notice oh yeah it was there all along!

I definitely think 60hz is a better move than 40hz at this point. I know what you mean on the sub. When I first added the 15" I kinda felt it was missing sometimes, then I realized when it really needed to kick in, I was like "dang, there it is".

IMO, everything is blending better then it ever has.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts