Auto Hop Feature.. What if???

tedb3rd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 27, 2006
Rome, Georgia, United States
So how does the hopper know it's a commercial? Does it just listen for the audio track to double? Is there somebody at the uplink center pressing a 'this is a commercial' button?

So what happens if you're watching a show about, "World's Funniest Commecials"? ...does it just skip over the whole show?:D

This has been discussed a number of times here.... Fact is, no one knows or has said publicly how it works. The speculation is either the technique already mentioned, a) where someone watches each show and places markers or b) it's handled in software by looking for closed captions to stop (Dish has a patent related to something involving this too).

Actually it has been confirmed in court documents: a person (part of a team) watches and manually places markers for the beginning and end of a commercial break. It is critical, at this legal point in the law, that absolutely no part of the local programming outside the ads be skipped as that can be a violation of the agreement and STELA that provides for retransmission of locals, and this can't be left to automation alone. Further, Dish makes a quality control copy of the broadcasts with their Auto-hop markers and it is verified by sending it to a remote location (in Kentucky or some place in 'the middle") that the Auto-Hop skips ONLY the commercials. This quality control copy was cited by the 9th Circuit as the ONLY point that the big broadcasters had any hope of prevailing in a suit because according to the agreements, Dish is prohibited from making any copies of the broadcasts without the expressed permission of the local. HOWEVER, the broadcasters would ALSO have to prove that such a copy can or does result in loss or damages, and since it is a Quality Control copy and seen only by a few people, it would not result in loss or damages and the court viewed even that argument as not likely to result in a favorable ruling for the broadcasters. The process is why it takes hours before Auto-Hop is available to use.

If it's still like the old days, there's an ultrasonic beep at the beginnings and ends of commercials. The device "hears" the beep and fast forwards. It hears the beep at the end and starts playing again.

Back in the Windows 2005 MCE days there were a few utilities that would remove commercials from recorded shows. They used things like looking for blacker-than-black intervals and audio changes to locate commercials and did a pretty good job. IIRC the early releases with autohop removed the entire commercial time with only a short black period shown. I wonder why it was changed to what it is now?

IIRC the early releases with autohop removed the entire commercial time with only a short black period shown. I wonder why it was changed to what it is now?
I didn't have a Hopper when they first came out, but I kept up with them through here -- that is news to me (and incorrect, I'm quite sure). What has changed is that PTAT and AutoHop are no longer "on" by default. The user has to make multiple changes to set it up (clearly absolving Dish of taking the actions and putting on the viewer).

I didn't have a Hopper when they first came out, but I kept up with them through here -- that is news to me (and incorrect, I'm quite sure). What has changed is that PTAT and AutoHop are no longer "on" by default. The user has to make multiple changes to set it up (clearly absolving Dish of taking the actions and putting on the viewer).

It is, indeed, correct. Original Autohop had a 1 second black screen and on to the program. When they changed to user selected Autohop on is when it changed....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts