Bad News for HD DVD future Consumers...

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Source

June 24 (Bloomberg) -- Executives at Sony Corp. and Toshiba Corp., which are offering competing standards for next-generation DVDs, say they will push ahead with their own formats, extending a stalemate in talks to create a unified version.

Sony and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., which developed the Blu-ray disc, have been negotiating with Toshiba to create a single standard for new DVDs that can store more high-definition pictures and other content than existing DVDs. Toshiba, along with NEC Corp., is backing the HD DVD disc format.

``The HD DVD was recognized as the only next-generation DVD format by the DVD Forum,'' an industry group that sets standards for DVD, said Yoshihide Fujii, Toshiba's senior vice president in charge of the talks, during the annual shareholders meeting today in Tokyo. ``The HD DVD will maximize benefits for consumers as it can be released sooner, produced cheaper, and easier to use in products such as car navigation systems.''

Global sales of DVD software are forecast to reach $49 billion by 2010, according to London-based market researcher Informa Telecoms & Media Group. Movie studios such as Walt Disney Co. and game developers like Electronic Arts Inc. are backing Blu- ray, while Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema are supporting HD DVD.

Sony's President Ryoji Chubachi yesterday said the company will continue to promote Blu-ray, while Chief Executive Howard Stringer said earlier in the week that he plans to move the company's movie library to the new Blu-ray DVD format.

The Blu-ray discs have as much as 20 times more storage capacity than the 4.7 gigabytes offered by current DVDs, while HD DVD can store about 10 times more data. HD DVD backers also include Sanyo Electric Corp., TDK Corp. and many of the world's component and device makers.

``A single standard is best for the consumer, but of course, we will continue to promote Blu-ray,'' said Chubachi at a press conference yesterday.

the loser will be SONY, just like their BETA Max. Even though more superior, the don't have engough backing.

Sony has the entire MGM library behind them... It will be a pity if they do not make their library of movies available in the other format.

Well, I guess we'll have to pay a bit more to get a dual-format player...

Before too much "mis-information" gets passed around or assumed.....
Whether Blu-ray or HD DVD each will be able to play the standard DVD format.

It's just a matter of who get's there firstist with the mostist. Winner either way is the consumer. Doesn't sound like bad news to me.

I'm backing Sony on this one, though I'd love to see a dual format player from the get-to.

The winner could be determined ny the one that decides to support the 5 million or so HD capable displays without DVI or HDMI connections. I know the MPAA NAZI's hate it but if it weren't for the early adopters there would be no market. That or everyone should stay away for fear of the same, that the first couple million customers will be left high and dry when and if it works itself out.

projectorsrule said:
The winner could be determined ny the one that decides to support the 5 million or so HD capable displays without DVI or HDMI connections. I know the MPAA NAZI's hate it but if it weren't for the early adopters there would be no market. That or everyone should stay away for fear of the same, that the first couple million customers will be left high and dry when and if it works itself out.

Well, HDDVD is off the winner list according to this article http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds22406.html HD only over digital connections. We can only pray that Blu-Ray will support component.

If Blu-Ray wants to play hardball, they need to seriously think about it.

I think I read in a video game magazine that the new Playstation 3 would play blu-ray discs. If this is the case why buy a player if you can just use this (unless you don't care for video games)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts