Balcony mounting options

The railing has specifically been identified as "Common"; they don't even allow flower boxes on the inside of the railing.

I was told by someone on the board that other units in our building had dishes, but a walk-around disproved that; it may have been in the past, and they likely had bucket or tripod mounts. We only have the one building, 42 units.

I am going to ask about mounting on the wall, as my understanding is that the walls of the balcony are "limited common", exclusive to our use. Plus there are already a few small screws in anchors mounted in the mortar. (The dish would have to be mounted with anchors drilled into the brick, if I go that route, due to the load.)

Hope that is a solution!

I once mounted a Dish300 upside down from above but I don't think I'd try that now-a-days with a multi satellite dish. ;)

I'd probably go with the pole in the bucket for now and have the bucket ready with the pole in the hardened concrete. The outside diameter of the pole should be 1 5/8 inches. If it's solid and plumb the installer should be able to get the job done.
Except the bucket mount is unapproved by Dish and if it's a area that Dish's QAS Nazis patrol, then the installer really can't risk doing it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: JSheridan
Lazy installer trying to find an excuse not to do the job.

Granted you can't mount to the railing, but it's rarely enforced by associations

Come on, Claude, you know good and well that Dish loves to rape installers on unapproved parts used to install so they can backcharge the full amount of the install and basically get a free install while still collecting the customer's money month after month.

Come on, Claude, you know good and well that Dish loves to rape installers on unapproved parts used to install so they can backcharge the full amount of the install and basically get a free install while still collecting the customer's money month after month.

Yea you got a point there. The problem I see as a national dealer is every time we get a customer in an apartment the first thing the installer does when he gets to an apartment installation is goes to the front office, announces he is installing a satellite dish for so and so customer, has the management tell him no, then marks the job no land lord permission and moves on.

Then half of them don't even have the decency to knock on the customers door and tell them they can't install.

Meanwhile I get the calls from the customer that they saw the tech drive up, go to the front office and then leave.

Been doing this for 17 years, we just make the apartment installs go in. Out of all our years I had 3 issues due to land lords. We ended up moving the Dish on 2 of them and the 3rd one was forced to cancel.

Compared to the number of jobs direct techs blow off, your better taking your chances and Just forcing them to go in.

Except the bucket mount is unapproved by Dish and if it's a area that Dish's QAS Nazis patrol, then the installer really can't risk doing it.

Like Claude said, call a local retailer. They'll get it done.

Yea you got a point there. The problem I see as a national dealer is every time we get a customer in an apartment the first thing the installer does when he gets to an apartment installation is goes to the front office, announces he is installing a satellite dish for so and so customer, has the management tell him no, then marks the job no land lord permission and moves on.

Then half of them don't even have the decency to knock on the customers door and tell them they can't install.

Meanwhile I get the calls from the customer that they saw the tech drive up, go to the front office and then leave.

Been doing this for 17 years, we just make the apartment installs go in. Out of all our years I had 3 issues due to land lords. We ended up moving the Dish on 2 of them and the 3rd one was forced to cancel.

Compared to the number of jobs direct techs blow off, your better taking your chances and Just forcing them to go in.

My installer was very helpful. We discussed the restrictions I was aware of; he suggested the railing mount and no-drill, flat cable and even sent a photo of the mount and cable when he got back to his truck. Then he canceled the installation for me because of the requirement that I submit my requested installation for approval (which was ultimately rejected because the railing is considered a common element). Would I be getting HIM in trouble if I have a bucket mount ready for him when I reschedule? (I've already poured the cement! I'm going with the planter idea I saw somewhere, with a layer of dirt above the cement so we can plant some flowers in it.)

My installer was very helpful. We discussed the restrictions I was aware of; he suggested the railing mount and no-drill, flat cable and even sent a photo of the mount and cable when he got back to his truck. Then he canceled the installation for me because of the requirement that I submit my requested installation for approval (which was ultimately rejected because the railing is considered a common element). Would I be getting HIM in trouble if I have a bucket mount ready for him when I reschedule? (I've already poured the cement! I'm going with the planter idea I saw somewhere, with a layer of dirt above the cement so we can plant some flowers in it.)

Why not just do it yourself ?

It's just TV, why do we need all the red tape?

If it was me, I just would have gotten it done and been on my way. The fact you drove out there spent your time with the customer, you might as well take a gamble and get paid for the job, and if you get a chargeback for a non approved install so what.

I have seen technicians spend 2 hours driving to a job, then turning around drive another 2 hours and go home without completing the job because of this stupidity.

I'd rather spend another hour, and get the job installed then turn around with nothing

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)