Baseball, Hot Dogs and Eastern Arc

flyingsquirrel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Casually heard a couple of things from an acquaintance or two about what Dish may be trying to do in Chicago to further the Eastern Arc Plan.

First, for those of you who don't know, it is not real common for Dish subscribers in the Chicago area to have 61.5 dishes. It is less common for Dish HD customers to have 61.5 dishes. Why? When Dish installs HD, it sets you up to look at 110, 119 and 129 and takes down or disconnects any 61.5 dish you might have. This is because until recently, almost everything on 61.5 was mirrored on 129.

Some people still have them because once upon a time the "less watched" locals were on 61.5, even though that is no longer the case and ALL chicago locals are on 129 (I think).

So let's say Dish wants to move all the Chicago HD Locals off of 129 and onto 61.5. IF they just make the switch, they would pretty much be forced to buy everyone who does not have a 61.5 Dish a new Dish and have it installed. Lots of money, right? 10s of thousands of customers at a minimum.

So, what if they could get as many customers as possible to PAY to make the switch, lessening the investment?

How would they do that? Buy offering them something the don't have now: ALL Cubs. Sox, Bulls and Black Hawks games in HD. Something I don't think D* offers at this point, either.

Though Dish customers get Comcast Sports Net in HD, without OTA they don't get WGN in HD, and they don't get WCIU in HD. A significant number games are on those two channels, the vast majority in HD.

So what if Dish picks up WGN in HD and WCIU in HD. That way Dish would have all the Cubs, Sox and Bulls and Black Hawks games in HD. And while they are at it, they might put up WTTW (PBS) in HD. Fine so far, right?

The catch: The new HD locals (WGN HD, WTTW and WCIU HD) would be on 61.5 only! As I mentioned above, almost all Chicago DMA Dish HD subscribers would have to get a new Dish. Why? Because as part of the HD upgrade, Dish took down the wing dishes for most users that had them.

So, existing HD customers would either pay $60 for it or they would have to extend their agreement by TWO YEARS. OR they would go without.

Since most people who have HD get it for sports primarily (tons of surveys show this), Dish could get a significant number of people to either pay $60 or extend their commitment. This way Dish is way ahead, financially. Dish would be getting something, either the money or a service extension, for a service (the new dish and installation) that they would have had to give away under normal circumstances, like if they just got up and moved all the Chicago HD Locals to 61.5 on their own volition.

After the season is over, Dish could announce that they are moving the rest of the HD locals to 61.5 and then pay to get Dishes for the stragglers.

I am not sure if this strategy is brilliant or despicable. It matters little to me. I have OTA and am moving to Directv in May.

If this works in Chicago, it could be used in other markets where the baseball teams are on non-network OTA stations.

So those of you who want WGN HD, be careful what you wish for.

i live in chicago and would be upset about that. i already have a dish 1000 pointing to 110, 119, and 129, is a triple lnb not enough! i think my wife would flip if we had to put up another dish to point to 61.5.

it would be nice to have the games in hd, but i also have an OTA antenna so it is not a big deal to me. i'm itching for more national hd. thats what's killing me.

Last edited:
That looks like perfect marketing for Eastern Arc, the all MPEG 4 service.

They "allow" you out of your old contract, get you to sign a new 2 year commitment give you a new dish/repoint dish to the eastern arc (no wing dish needed as everythign should be on the arc), charge you a "repointing" fee. (plus upgrades to those without MPEG 4 equipment.

No need to get a wing dish.

Yeah, I agree with your theory; I just hope that once they turn on the Milwaukee HD LiLs, I can haggle and get a 61.5 dish installed for free, without another contract:D. I have "moved" to Chicago a few times, and WGN, WCIU, and WTTW in HD would be very appealing to me, and most customers in the Chicagoland area. The great thing about Milwaukee is that they're in the Chicago spotbeam too!:)

Last edited:
I would be willing to pay a small fee to purchase a new dish to get those additional channels, but I will not renew my contract. I become a free agent in 3 months. :D

Pick up a D500 or D300 with DP lnb off ebay and put it up yourself.

Might cost you $25.

Eastern Arc Installation info...??

I've got a new Dish HD receiver, mpeg4 compatible with 1000.4 antenna.
I'm in need of installation advice, pointing, and any other hints that may be available.
I'll appreciate any help that you can offer,

Stardustor South of Detroit

Overnight reboots

Dishonline SlingGuide issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)