Basic questions on getting a hopper

yales

Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
midwest
I am sure all this has been covered in other threads, but they may be dozens of pages long and thus incomprehensible to me.
I am a 14-year Dish customer and am ready to replace my owned vip722k used with 2 TVs (sometimes 3) with the the Hopper now that it has the OTA adapter.

1) I have a USB sling adapter. Can it be used concurrently with the OTA dongle? This is a possible showstopper for me.

2) What are the costs to obtain, install, and operate the hopper/joey system?

3) As a very long-term customer in good standing, do I get any type of break, and how do I get it.

Expiring Minds want To Know...

Thanks, y

2) What are the costs to obtain, install, and operate the hopper/joey system?

3) As a very long-term customer in good standing, do I get any type of break, and how do I get it.

Expiring Minds want To Know...

Thanks, y
Contact a Dirt member...bottom of Forum page, logged-on users in RED....usually they come on in the afternoons.

1) I have a USB sling adapter. Can it be used concurrently with the OTA dongle? This is a possible showstopper for me.

There are two USB ports on the back of the Hopper and one in front. I use a powered hub to connect the Sling Adapter, OTA, and an EHD in the back, so as not to have to use the front one. It's all about aesthetics.... ;)

A general question.
If I upgrade my vip722 to hopper/joey service, what do I get for the extra monthly cost? Is it worth doing?

The dvr fee would go from $6 to $10, additional fee for the Joey would be $7 so your bill would increase by $11 per month. You get a much larger hard drive to record to, a 3rd tuner to record, PTAT if available for you, a bigger selection of VOD movies and use of apps through the receiver. If you are always in duo mode on the 722, you could also use PIP with Joey being used. If you are using OTA, the adapter is $30, but only one tuner. Only you can decide if it's worth doing.

Thanks,
My question is - what does that extra cash actually buy me. I want to make sure its worth it.

I think it's worth it for the HD on both TVs, the much improved UI, Pandora, game Finder Facebook, as well as the overall speed improvement in UI over the 722. I'll never go back to a VIP model. If you have a local blockbuster store near by, you could stop by and they may have a Hopper kiosk where you can give it a test drive.

I answered it, that is what the H/J system has over the 722. Recording time is probably the biggest gain, you go from about 55 hrs to almost 2,000 recording time.
Sorry I didn't see your answer. Thanks. I went to the last answer.
Are there any performance differences?
(both positive and negative)

Another question....

Currently, on my vip722 I have the big HD screen on TV1 and I feed TV2 to a coax network thru my house. I can watch SD tv in the den or the bedroom with the RF remote. Will I need now to add a joey at each TV?

Another question....

Currently, on my vip722 I have the big HD screen on TV1 and I feed TV2 to a coax network thru my house. I can watch SD tv in the den or the bedroom with the RF remote. Will I need now to add a joey at each TV?

I personally believe the PQ on the Hopper is far superior the the 722. Officially you would need a joey at each TV or you could run an HDMI or RCA from one joey to the other tv.

Another question....

Joey's do not output via coax, only HDMI and composite. You could use an RF modulator (or an old vcr for that matter) to get a cable output for your existing tv2 output (note that the channel would be either 2 or 3 and you would need to change your other tv's). Dish would want you to have a Joey at each tv location and charge you $7 each per month. If all your additional tv's are HD, it may be worth it to get HD to all of them, if they are sd, you may want to keep your current setup and maybe add an EHD to your 722, imho.

I just got two hoppers and one Joey installed. I had a 722 and two 612's.

Picture quality much better. Interface much better. This system kicks butt.