BD or HD-DVD do you really care?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
An observation:

Anyone who supports BD is an --idiot, uninformed , in Sony's back pocket, doesn't know a good movie if it was pointed out to them, pays too much for their BD players hench they have too much money and not enough brains, doesn't know anything about Picture Quality, Sound Quality or how to acheive that quality with your equipment- are just plain liars and cheats! And of course, seems to be buying alot of BD discs.

Anyone who supports HD-DVD is an -- idiot, uninformed, in Microsoft's back pocket, doesn't know a good movie if it was pointed out to them, doesn't pay enough for their players but pays too much for their movies, knows everything about Picture Quality and Sound quality and knows that the only way to get it is with HD-DVD, never post FUDS or misrepresentation about the BD products. And of course is buying alot of HD-DVD discs but not at the rate of the BD discs.

Gee, does anyone here see a pattern? Does it really make a differance which format you support. To the 'other guy' you are going to be supporting a dead format given enough time. And here is the sad thing, in order for one to survive one does really have to die. The reasons are simple, the consumer and the retailers are not going to go for two formats period. The rest of the world seems to be making up its mind without the good ol' USA. Even China has decided to go their own way and come up with their own HD format.

Who here really believes that if there was only one format that:

A) Players and movies would provide better PQ and Sound and prices would be falling as quickly?

B) Would a single HD format be selling in such low numbers at this point?

C) Would as many of us be using that format right now?

D) Would we have anything to be so passioned about right now?

The BD camp has decided to put their money into putting the product in front of the consumer -- in brick and mortar businesses. The HD-DVD group has decided to use payola to get studios to go HD-DVD exclusive. Both are great moves and yes both will push these competing formats to survive in a two format atmosphere for at least another 18 months. So we must continue the paper fight to hold up our selected format.

And all the while we get to watch some great HD and enjoy our Home Theaters in a way we never thought possible just 5 years ago. Time has a way of making everything alright.

Last thought : 'Our job is to not lose money from supporting our HD format to the end but to make the other poor sucker lose his money over supporting his dead format!'

In between lets enjoy the postering and our HD movies. Heck, if the players get cheap enough we can all have both formats and really muddy up the water.:cool:

I don't really care which one wins, as long as one wins soon.

I'd prefer Blu-Ray, mainly because of it's larger capacity. Like DVDs, these will make their way into the PC world as a cheap media. I'd rather have 25,50,100GB discs to backup on than 15,30GB. Its just a fact that BD has more capacity and in computer storage, the bigger the better.

Anyone who supports BD is an --idiot, uninformed , in Sony's back pocket, doesn't know a good movie if it was pointed out to them, pays too much for their BD players hench they have too much money and not enough brains, doesn't know anything about Picture Quality, Sound Quality or how to acheive that quality with your equipment- are just plain liars and cheats!
Hmm that would make a nice quote for my signature. :D

The BD camp has decided to put their money into putting the product in front of the consumer -- in brick and mortar businesses. The HD-DVD group has decided to use payola to get studios to go HD-DVD exclusive. Both are great moves and yes both will push these competing formats to survive in a two format atmosphere for at least another 18 months. So we must continue the paper fight to hold up our selected format.
Sony hasnt used any payola to secure studios? Sony hasnt used any Payola to secure BD player only stores? OH Joe you are sooo fair and level headed. :rolleyes:

Joe,

I agree with a lot of what you say, save HD-DVD using payola to buy HD-DVD exclusivity. Both camps have used this strategy, HD-DVD just happened to start more recently. Don't forget that Warner was to be HD-DVD exclusive in the very beginning and the BD association offered incentives to either go neutral or author exclusively for BD. Like Vurbano or Diogen, I think, said, those incentives might have expired. Both formats are trying to win now that:
a. Prices for hardware have dropped
b. PQ and SQ have improved
c. more titles are being released.

actually bluray has never produced a 100 gig disc.. I believe hd-dvd have created a 50+ gig disc

TDK touts 100GB recordable Blu-ray Disc | The Register
TDK Showcases Quad-Layer 100GB Blu-ray Disc At CES 2006
TDK announces 100GB Blu-ray disk, Panasonic tells: HD-DVD Blog | HD-DVD & Blu-Ray news

Yes, there are 100GB Blu-ray discs coming. When is another question, but they have been demonstrated for a while now.

There are even prototypes for 200GB and 250GB Blu-Ray discs

Sony hasnt used any payola to secure studios? Sony hasnt used any Payola to secure BD player only stores? OH Joe you are sooo fair and level headed. :rolleyes:

Purchasing end caps is not using their money? Want to read that again Vurbano. Sony's deal on endcaps does not prevent the HD-DVD camp from doing the same. Last time I was in most stores there was more then one endcap being used.

I would like to see Sony give Wagner about 100 mil to just do BD and do it right then that would definately be payola. But right now it seems that Sony's payola is going to as I said "Brick and Motar stores". I just did not call it payola because in this instance it can and will be on the books as advertisment costs not a direct payment to the coffers as the deal with Paramont and Dreamworks was.

Joe,

I agree with a lot of what you say, save HD-DVD using payola to buy HD-DVD exclusivity. Both camps have used this strategy, HD-DVD just happened to start more recently. Don't forget that Warner was to be HD-DVD exclusive in the very beginning and the BD association offered incentives to either go neutral or author exclusively for BD. Like Vurbano or Diogen, I think, said, those incentives might have expired. Both formats are trying to win now that:
a. Prices for hardware have dropped
b. PQ and SQ have improved
c. more titles are being released.

Using money to buy exclusivity is exactly what the HD-DVD crowd did. This is how it is going to go. Anyone's hope for studios to be nuetral is just about over. The camps are going to be well defined and we the consumer are going to have to pick and a $1000 dual format player is not going to do it for most folks. The only major studio left in the nuetral area is Warner -- the only question left is for how long? Let the bidding begin!

Someone high up in the Warner Studio executive offices has an evil grin on their face and is rubbing their hands together- right under a huge portrait of Jacob Marley! :D;)

blurayfanboistg7.jpg

Yes, there are 100GB Blu-ray discs coming. When is another question, but they have been demonstrated for a while now.

There are even prototypes for 200GB and 250GB Blu-Ray discs

For computer data storage only.

The BD-ROM for consumers (I forgot WTF the acronym is that they're using) doesn't support beyond 50GB.

Cheers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)