BD Stomps HDDVD 51GB with 100GB

Well for the home user today, but what about a year or three from now? And corp users can justify the costs in a year if not soon.
Why would anyone want a storage solution that slow? They need to come back when they develop a 1 TB rewritable disk with access times, write speeds and cost that rivals hard disc solutions. It just aint going to happen.

Well for the home user today, but what about a year or three from now? And corp users can justify the costs in a year if not soon.
I think it has to be comparable with hard drive storage (cost per GB), i.e ~20c/GB today and probably under 10c 2-3 year from now.
That means a 100GB disc costing $10. When a 25GB disc today is $25 (here in Canada). I'm not optimistic.

Diogen.

I think it has to be comparable with hard drive storage (cost per GB), i.e ~20c/GB today and probably under 10c 2-3 year from now.
That means a 100GB disc costing $10. When a 25GB disc today is $25 (here in Canada). I'm not optimistic.

Diogen.
It will NEVER and I mean NEVER compete with the speed or cost of hard drive storage wich is also getting faster and cheaper. I see NO way this will ever compete in any market.

It will NEVER and I mean NEVER compete with the speed or cost of hard drive storage...
I intentionally left out "speed" since I don't think it's that important for PCs in archival capacity (as long as it's faster than a floppy :p)...
If it can't match the HD's cost per GB, I don't think it has a future in PC-land.

Diogen.

I think that these discs from both camps are a joke when it comes to HD movies. Neither of them will play on current HD players. The 100GB BD will require a new drive and the 51GB HD-DVD will require a new lense. Since both of these discs are aimed at the PC market they really will have no impact on the current HD format war over HD movies. Just a one upmanship show at the moment over whose daddy is the biggest.

It will NEVER and I mean NEVER compete with the speed or cost of hard drive storage wich is also getting faster and cheaper. I see NO way this will ever compete in any market.

It doesn't HAVE to compete with external HDDs. It competes with tape.

I, like many other people working at small businesses, run a backup each night. Since it's overnight, speed really isn't a concern. But each day, I take the prior backup home, so we have company records offsite in the event of a disaster. I use tape today. I don't view tape as terribly reliable. Discs would be much smaller, lighter, and certainly less prone to damage compared to HDDs.

Yes, disc storage has a bright future for backups. The cost comparison that counts is to tape. It can be more expensive than tape- but how much more expensive? If a 100GB or 200GB R/W disc came out, it would be a great success at anything approaching the price of tapes. Even the write once discs will have a market.

So why do you think they haven't finalized the standards? Because someone posted, claiming it? They're final.

If they're final, then why is are the 2 BD+ discs at present (i.e. Silver surfer & Day after tommorrow) causing problems in 2nd GEN PLAYERS. The standards are not final. It's like having half a penny (you still can't spend it). Just because things are theoretically on paper but not agreed upon in practice = disarray. Sony itself is only one half of the team. The hardware specs/manufacture are the other half. THEY ARE OUT OF SYNC. It's a two person team, one without the other cannot finish the race. If BD+ is the standard then fine dammit, then make it the standard, but don't waffle. I'm not completely dogging BD/Sony because HD-DVD could possible head into the same minefield.

I think that these discs from both camps are a joke when it comes to HD movies. Neither of them will play on current HD players. The 100GB BD will require a new drive and the 51GB HD-DVD will require a new lense. Since both of these discs are aimed at the PC market they really will have no impact on the current HD format war over HD movies. Just a one upmanship show at the moment over whose daddy is the biggest.

If you read the hitachi links in the first post, they think all current BD drives can go to their 100GB disc with just a firmware update. So, if this is correct, and they really manage to manufacture such discs, it could be a reality.

If they're final, then why is are the 2 BD+ discs at present (i.e. Silver surfer & Day after tommorrow) causing problems in 2nd GEN PLAYERS. The standards are not final. It's like having half a penny (you still can't spend it). Just because things are theoretically on paper but not agreed upon in practice = disarray. Sony itself is only one half of the team. The hardware specs/manufacture are the other half. THEY ARE OUT OF SYNC. It's a two person team, one without the other cannot finish the race. If BD+ is the standard then fine dammit, then make it the standard, but don't waffle. I'm not completely dogging BD/Sony because HD-DVD could possible head into the same minefield.

The problem with the two players is firmware errors, which will be updated. Has nothing to do with BD+. In fact, some have posted it is more likely the key revocation that caused the problem.

The standards aren't changing, the bad firmware is getting fixed.

If they're final, then why is are the 2 BD+ discs at present (i.e. Silver surfer & Day after tommorrow) causing problems in 2nd GEN PLAYERS.
BDA managed to obscure the problems with these discs so much, nobody is willing to go on record to identify the root of them.

I suspect FOX couldn't afford any more negative publicity.
First, they screamed too loud (after Paramount/Dreamworks defection) how they are going to come back in a big way after sitting on the sidelines since April.
Second, they rushed the new titles without properly testing them and as soon as the problem surfaced, blamed the manufacturers, Samsung and LG
(both are the only dual-player makers in the BD group - what a coincidence!) If any of these two decides to tell FOX "F*ck you!" and go HD exclusive,
I wouldn't be surprised.

Diogen.

Diogen, Samsung has already announced a firmware update to resolve the problems that have occured with these discs. Surely LG cannot be far behind with their firmware upgrade. I know you love it when something does not work for BD but how about when it does work? How about Samsung coming thru with a update before the end of the week? This is a non-issue for both Samsung and LG and for BD owners everywhere.

Only in HD-DVD land is this an issue -- like everything that comes out on HD-DVD works!:rolleyes:

Diogen, Samsung has already announced a firmware update to resolve the problems...
They did?
Geeez... That was fast.
So, the BDA didn't actually got satisfaction in screwing Samsung and LG?

Well, they will have another chance...:)

Diogen.

Talking about another chance...

Recalling that Master and Commander was pushed back to next year, I re-read this comments from a site Blu-fans love:
Hollywood In Hi-Def

No one is more disappointed than Fox, which had the complex title playing without a hitch on more than 90% of the players in the market.
But the studio opted for a 4-month delay to ensure 100% compatibility.

For the PS3-as-a-Trojan-Horse folks: the PS3 can play it. But nothing else (ain't PS3's 90%+ of all BD players?).

Now the story about FF2 and Days becomes clearer: they couldn't screw up Master that badly,
but throwing these two titles under the bus was perfectly acceptable...
As long as you have the PR blaming CE manufacturers ready...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)