Costco quits selling HDDVD players

Stan Sherman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 7, 2006
First, I will preface this by saying that I bet on the wrong format. I own 3 HDDVD players (just purchased an HD-A30 for 1080P), a PS 3 and Just purchased a Samsung Bd-1400.
Today I visited 2 different Costco stores, I noticed they were no longer selling Toshiba HDDVD players. I asked a sales associate and was told they were all pulled off of the shelves. When I returned home, I took a look at costco.com, and only Blu-ray players are listed. This only makes sense in that Costco offers a 90 day return policy. I imagine this is also happening at other retailers as well.
Even though I backed HD a I am elated that we will only have one format going forward so that more people will finally embrace a form of High Def DVDs. I look forward to many more titles being released on blue!

Not to break your delusion or anything, but with Warner supporting HD-DVD till May and Universal and Paramount supporting it indefinitely I don't see how we will have only one format. HD-DVDs will continue to be released till at least next year.

DVD-A/SACD are dead for how long?

There are still players sold to play them.
My local Best Buy has about 5% of their CD shelves with this "dead" product...
And they attract about as much interest as HD/BD players connected to 720p LCDs and BOSE speakers nearby...

Diogen.

Yea, that would make sense!

There are alot of people out there who don't want to take responcibility for their mistakes and always want someone else to pay and I can see Costco not wanting to be stuck with a ton of HD DVD Players!

I've seen 3 HD-DVD players at my local costco, other than that, right next to it I saw 2 stacks of the Samsung players with the Sony Bravia TV attached to one of them for display purposes.
Some companies don't want to risk losing money, and customers, like someone said before, the retailers will make the decision for the people.
I doubt Universal and Paramount are going to be releasing HD-DVD exclusive for too long, they will go where the money is at.

dfergie, I guess you like to go backwards.
Who would be stupid enough to move towards an older technology than go for the new technology, crystal clear picture? Eh? 1080p that doesn't look like crap...
We both know 1080p looks much better on HD-DVD/Blu-ray than just a regular DVD up converter.

I don't see no people going from DVD back to VHS, do you? Thats how your statement sounded like.

BD and HD DVD are niche products, and sadly will likely stay that way... Btw not smart to infer a mod is stupid ;)

Never really referred to you, but I will say this in a more acceptable way "would be willing to go back to old technology, I don't think you would want to go back to your black/white tv from your nice HDTV that you have there."

And I apologize for my statement above was rude, hope no offense taken.

Never really referred to you, but I will say this in a more acceptable way "would be willing to go back to old technology, I don't think you would want to go back to your black/white tv from your nice HDTV that you have there."

And I apologize for my statement above was rude, hope no offense taken.

Would be a good point if the analogy held up. DVD -> BD isn't in the same ballpark has Black and White -> HDTV. Especially since it isn't even an analogy/metaphor... anyone going from BD/HDDVD to DVD are actually staying with upconverted DVD, which is a pretty nice and appealing alternative for an average consumer with a comfortable library of movies.

This becomes even more fun and interesting of an alternative to consider if Toshiba's new Cell-based technology works its way into a bunch of new low cost DVD players and brings existing DVD collections much closer to HD quality without having to repurchase all of your titles.

With which part ;)?

That you not stupid(j/k, could not resist)

I dont feel either format would have been niche if they both had all support. I also dont think either will be niche if the other dies. I feel by this time next year, many more will be getting on board with HDM.

We'll see... anyone heard of Laserdisc's ;)

I think the difference is exposure. Not many knew about Laserdisc. Plenty know of these two formats by now, most are just waiting for cheap players and/or one format. I think most are waiting for one with 100% studio support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)