Walmart and cheap HDDVD players

r.jones1116

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 7, 2004
Goose Creek, SC
I copied this from AVS.

Fuh Yuan will make two million HD-DVD players for Walmart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following site is in Chinese. It basically says that Fuh Yuan electronic corporation from Taiwan just built a new factory to manufacture blue laser HD-DVD cores. This core is independently developed by Fuh Yuan, and is a joint project with TDK. The production will be handled by Great Wall corporation in China. An interesting thing is that it mentioned that Fuh Yuan got a two million units order from Wal-Mart, worth USD$100 million. Since Wal-Mart does not sell blue laser core, I assume it would be players. Fuh Yuan's stock will be released by July 12th, and will be publicly traded next March. It is a press release.

Fuh Yuan has a similar news on its Chinese website, but not on its English version.

Link: http://www.ettoday.com/2007/04/16/320-2082635.htm

Fuh Yuan website: http://www.fuhyuan.com/

Edit: Possible price: $299, see link here (again, Chinese): http://udn.com/NEWS/STOCK/STO5/3804769.shtml

I'll believe it when I can see it. And I doubt I'll be seeing it this year.

Update: Pull back the reigns HD DVD fanboys, Akihabara now says that they've made a "huge mistake" with their translation: the original source called it "?? HD DVD and ?? means Blu-RAY." In other words, Blu-ray HD DVD. Huh? Word to the wise: since both formats use blue lasers, it's best to wait for an English press release before either camp celebrates.

I'm kind of in the Navychop "I'll believe it when I see" camp, but in any event I think I'll wait for an announcement in Engrish. :p

EDIT: "In other words, Blu-ray HD DVD" Hmmmm. Maybe Wal*Mart plans a $299 combo player? That would shake things up. :rolleyes:

Well now isn't that SPECIAL!

New title for thread: Wal-Mart and cheap high def players????

Whichever way it is, if either, I doubt we'll see a $200 player this year, and probably not much on the $300 front either. PLEASE, let me be wrong!

Wouldn't it be funny if Amazon started selling Blu-ray players for less than HD DVD players, just like the Blu-ray discs are cheaper?

And if one version does come out cheap, a cheap version in the other flavor can't be far behind- unless someone has signed some exclusive deal. 3 to 6 months diff, tops, my SWAG.

I'm just hoping somebody wins, or the concept at least survives. I have a few DVD-Audio discs you see, and.....

Update: Pull back the reigns HD DVD fanboys, Akihabara now says that they've made a "huge mistake" with their translation: the original source called it "?? HD DVD and ?? means Blu-RAY."

Quite a thread on this over on AVS, and I got an education in Chinese. :p
A few native Chinese speakers posted that ?? means "blue light" which is how they would refer to blue laser technology. Industry insider posted that TDK/Toshiba is providing the laser head, Fuh Yuan providing the loader & assembly, Broadcomm is providing the SoC (software on chip), and the order from WalMart is:
(1) ~670K HD DVD players for 2007 ($100 millions out of 300)
(2) US$150/player (cost), $199 Wal mart retail ?

This does look like a real deal. :up

You realize that there isn't much difference between 'ray' and 'light'. Calling something a blue light HD DVD is redundant. But, I also wonder why they wouldn't have used the letters Blu ray Disc like they did for HD DVD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)