best antenna for dish

It freezes, reboots, holds minimal support by dish. It is slow, indecisive, buggy, and has been recalled by dish 3 times. The remotes are a PITA to get working right. And the list could go on for days.

There were quite a few around here who swore by their 922s. I think it will be OK to do what the OP wants. But he still won't get HD out of the TV2 outputs.

Don't think he ever eluded that he was expecting/wanting it to.

In my opinion I think the 922 is a cool looking box but the its the hardware inside that is prone to hardware failure I think it has to do with box design and cooling issues.
If only that were the case. Software was the biggest problem.

Never said it wasn't illegal in Canada, where did you get that.
From the portion of your post that I quoted. I suggests that you can, without extraordinary conditions, receive DISH programming. Being prohibited by law is certainly an extraordinary condition.

From the portion of your post that I quoted. I suggests that you can, without extraordinary conditions, receive DISH programming. Being prohibited by law is certainly an extraordinary condition.
You obviously didn't read everything I have posted. I meant it was "technically" possible. You are the one that interpreted it that way. I said that Canadian law prohibited it , but from what I understand from several Canadians it's enforcement varies from place to place.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I didn't say that I was offended or any of that. I was stating that it is a possibility for a large fine if caught, potential law suit by dish(unlikely) and that it is against the dish network policy. I also stated he is free to do as he desires, and that's cool if he does. I just don't take part in directly violating the contracts dish has in place. If you guys want to help that's cool, but it is a gray area for sure.

I suggest don’t even give this person a thought. He is just trying to be a dish police. Now while what he sates isin’t entirely wrong, Dish WILL NOT pursue your case for litigation primarily due to the fact that you are a paying customer, regardless of its location. Now if you were stacking, that will still not cause a litigation but will account for an account termination. They will seek litigation efforts, if they have a track of you paying someone else for the dish service on the FTA boxes. As Raw as this sounds, this is as close to the reality.

Although I would recommend a Hopper and Joey, the VIP 922 has two tuners and can have a tv output in SD in another room. It’s a little slower and uglier in my opinion. Having said that, the vip922 is the closest to the hopper family in terms of UI and usability but works with the existing VIP’s in your home. I’d say go ahead with the hopper/joey combo.

I'm pretty sure when I posted, I said it was unlikely to be pursued. It's a possibility, but almost no chance of it happening. Not trying to be dish police. Trying to point out facts. Against Canadian law. Against dish policy. And providing people how to "get around" any law I thought was against this forums policy. That's why I said I wouldn't be apart of it.

And providing people how to "get around" any law I thought was against this forums policy.

This is not piracy or hack talk. Only that sort if talk is prohibited. Dish is getting paid in this scenario, no piracy involved. It is the same difference as getting Bell or Shaw in the US, except for the fact that US law does not prohibit it because it is being paid for (I.E no piracy involved).

This is not piracy or hack talk. Only that sort if talk is prohibited. Dish is getting paid in this scenario, no piracy involved. It is the same difference as getting Bell or Shaw in the US, except for the fact that US law does not prohibit it because it is being paid for (I.E no piracy involved).

Well Said. on the same coin, getting Locals from out of your state can also constitute to the same rules of being a paying customer but watching content from another state. Regardless of the Line of Sight issues. I had dish refuse installation to my address due to lack of 129 in Los Angeles and I went ahead and installed 72 myself and can get all HD's from the wonderful east and Locals from 110 from San Diego. Mixed Arc but it works perfectly fine.

Now I would prefer LA local news over San Diego but can't get everything !!! :)

Reactions: bobvick
Well Said. on the same coin, getting Locals from out of your state can also constitute to the same rules of being a paying customer but watching content from another state. Regardless of the Line of Sight issues. I had dish refuse installation to my address due to lack of 129 in Los Angeles and I went ahead and installed 72 myself and can get all HD's from the wonderful east and Locals from 110 from San Diego. Mixed Arc but it works perfectly fine.

Now I would prefer LA local news over San Diego but can't get everything !!! :)
Sadly there are some "DBSTalk type" posters here that would disagree with that too. Seems to be more of them here now than there was years ago.

London, Ontario is in the Eastern part of CA. You would need the Eastern Arc dish for 61.5, 72.7, & 77. Get the largest dish possible for EA. I searched the maps and your best bet for the city to ask for when you set up the acct would be Cleveland, OH. You really don't even have to worry about signal off of 77 either. So I'm thinking 1000.2 dish along w/ a good dish DVR is what you should be getting. The 922 has had some problems but if you are getting it cheap and you know for sure it is working then it might be OK.

Although I would recommend a Hopper and Joey, the VIP 922 has two tuners and can have a tv output in SD in another room. It’s a little slower and uglier in my opinion. Having said that, the vip922 is the closest to the hopper family in terms of UI and usability but works with the existing VIP’s in your home. I’d say go ahead with the hopper/joey combo.

In the case of the OP, wouldn't the 922 or the Hopper need to be hooked up to the internet? Wouldn't he get flagged if it showed up as a Canadian IP? How could he get around that?

PS With regards to the Canadian law (taken from the government website: http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicat...2284&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=37&Ses=2&File=270),
A Globe and Mail newspaper article the morning after the (Supreme Court) decision stated that:

The broadcasting industry, government and RCMP alike say they'll be targeting commercial vendors of decoders rather than individual owners of satellite dishes or subscribers to U.S. satellite services. 'Our primary focus is the dealers. It's not our intention to root around trying to find subscriber lists', said Ian Gavanagh, vice-president of Bell ExpressVu.47

This position was repeated by RCMP media relations officer Corporal Benoit Desjardins. He stated that "the RCMP continue to investigate the grey market with a focus on persons or companies operating illegally on a commercial scale."48 This focus on dealer activity rather than individual satellite dish owners has been consistently followed by law enforcement and Canadian satellite industry officials in the months after the Supreme Court of Canada decision.

It is interesting to note that the Supreme Court left the door open to the possibility that the law may contravene certain Charter rights (for example infringing on the right to freedom of expression).

Last edited:
In the case of the OP, wouldn't the 922 or the Hopper need to be hooked up to the internet? Wouldn't he get flagged if it showed up as a Canadian IP? How could he get around that?

PS With regards to the Canadian law (taken from the government website: http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublicat...2284&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=37&Ses=2&File=270),

It is interesting to note that the Supreme Court left the door open to the possibility that the law may contravene certain Charter rights (for example infringing on the right to freedom of expression).
He can configure a router with an American IP using a VPN to get around the problem of connecting the receiver to the internet.

Remote with large print for Hopper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)