Best FTA receiver? Money no object!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I've realized my mistake in asking for a great tuner, now I just want a good tuner that can record over a network... and dosen't have laggy menus...

I'm quite a technical person, and I do love all the features of the AZbox, has anyone created any custom firmwares for the box giving the option to turn off certain features in exchange for less laggy menus?

I'm even willing to deal with some crashing as long as there are no laggy menus :/

Let me be blunt with you. What you're asking for does NOT exist. And I don't think it will in the near future. Too many things to juggle to make it all work. I am sure it CAN be done, but the market is SO small here in the US guys like Brian can't charge what he needs to make a profit, and still have it affordable for us to buy. So, YOU need to decide how much you can compromise. If the things you say you MUST have are set in concrete, you might as well stop banging your head, because it doesn't exist.

Many of us have settled on three pieces of Hardware:

1) An Azbox for watching 4:2:2 and video files from a hard drive. Streaming HD high bitrate stuff is a nogo on the azbox.

2) A Solomend/Sathawk/Openbox S9 ( all the same box under different names) to blind scan and watch most 4:2:0 HD/SD.

And..

3) A PC card for when you MUST record something.

If you want to know what works, look in our signatures. You WILL see a pattern. :)

Hope some of that helped. And before you ask, yeah it sucks, and yeah we mad about it too, but it is what it is. :D

With boxes utilizing a MIPS processor at around 300 Mhz, I think some lag is going to occur no matter. My 300 Mhz P2 laptop is a bit sluggish responding. (1997, but still works like a champ at what it's capable of) Think the next "great breakthrough" would be dual processor, or dual core MIPS. One core to control the functions, and the second to manage the decoding. But for that, I think there will be a period of time to wait, the market isn't large enough to expend huge $$'s on development.

I think a well-designed HTPC with the DVBWorld 2104D (PC tuner capable of blind scan) might just be what the doctor ordered. It can do almost anything that the software you load allows it to do, and can do it well (provided you build a powerful PC). The downside is that it is not as "Plug 'N' Play" as a set-top box.

I wouldnt get so negative on the AZbox bugs.Since i set mine up with a reliable north american satellite list and stick with the norm my ultra hasnt had any problems to speak of.

I have two HTPCs and have invested about $800 each and several media boxes ($100 each) for light use TVs plus an iPhone and several laptops. I have 45 terrestrial channels, hundreds of satellite channels provided by PCI cards and sample network enabled satellite STBs, Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Amazon streaming and access to any media files on the connected devices. I have not had cable or subscription satellite services for 3 years. The hardware was paid for in less than a year with the savings of not having a large cable or satellite package subscription and my monthly bill is usually around $70 including the broadband connection.

I agree that HTPCs are currently the best option for integrating ALL terrestrial, internet and satellite delivered media. Linear broadcasting delivery of video based entertainment will become niche market in the near future, just as linear audio broadcasting has transitioned in the past few years. The HTPC is the backbone of the home network sharing solution and it is available today!

I see STB units as not only stand alone devices, but also as feeders for the integrated home network. I look forward to the day where OTT widgets aren't really Over The TOP, but rather just standard business!

I've realized my mistake in asking for a great tuner, now I just want a good tuner that can record over a network... and dosen't have laggy menus...

I'm quite a technical person, and I do love all the features of the AZbox, has anyone created any custom firmwares for the box giving the option to turn off certain features in exchange for less laggy menus?

I'm even willing to deal with some crashing as long as there are no laggy menus :/

stogie5150 is 100% correct.

the closest thing that meets your needs would be an AZbox running enigma2 which is currently in early development. if you are truly a technical person I would suggest you take some time to read about Enigma2 on AZBox and then load it up and get to work.

I have two HTPCs and have invested about $800 each and several media boxes ($100 each) for light use TVs plus an iPhone and several laptops. I have 45 terrestrial channels, hundreds of satellite channels provided by PCI cards and sample network enabled satellite STBs, Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, Amazon streaming and access to any media files on the connected devices. I have not had cable or subscription satellite services for 3 years. The hardware was paid for in less than a year with the savings of not having a large cable or satellite package subscription and my monthly bill is usually around $70 including the broadband connection.

I agree that HTPCs are currently the best option for integrating ALL terrestrial, internet and satellite delivered media. Linear broadcasting delivery of video based entertainment will become niche market in the near future, just as linear audio broadcasting has transitioned in the past few years. The HTPC is the backbone of the home network sharing solution and it is available today!

I see STB units as not only stand alone devices, but also as feeders for the integrated home network. I look forward to the day where OTT widgets aren't really Over The TOP, but rather just standard business!

I'm looking forward to the new receiver you have in the pipeline :) ... It would be great to have a HD/S2 set top option that actually works, and from your track record with previous receivers, I'm sure you will deliver a fantastic product!

I'm looking forward to the new receiver you have in the pipeline :) ... It would be great to have a HD/S2 set top option that actually works, and from your track record with previous receivers, I'm sure you will deliver a fantastic product!

My thoughts exactly. :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.