Best PVR?

How often do shows get "re-slotted" and you don't know about it? $10+ a month seems a steep price to pay to make this automatic for as often as it happens.

Since I don't watch live TV, I don't watch commercials, and I don't usually watch the teasers at the end of the show (or they get clipped by the timer), nor do I subscribe to a dead-tree TV guide...It happens pretty frequently, actually...

I agree with you harshness. It has a very similar feel to the Dish Network receivers. Dual tuners, features like skip 30 seconds ahead or 10 seconds back, TVGOS and ethernet updates. Hard to beat it for $250 + tax and no fees after this.

Other than being crippled by lack of name-based recording (which doesn't make sense, because you can do name-based search), you are right, the DTVPal is mostly functional. Don't forget that the $13 per month for TiVo service also pays for access to a lot of digital content that the DTVPal can't get at this time (nor is it likely to get). It also pays for the TiVo Recommendations system, which I hear is pretty good.

[edit] You know what, it does make sense. By setting timers like a VCR, the box doesn't have to be in standby 24/7 like other DVRs do. Requires a lot less powerful processor, too.

I'm just making sure that the most pertinent facts are on the table. If I could get away with having only two OTA tuners in a DVR, and name-based timers weren't absolutely critical, I'd probably buy the DTVPal.

Apparently, it's $299, everywhere, now.

AVS Forum - View Single Post - DTV Pal Plus DVR

If you can find it for $250, please post to that thread and let them know. (Or post here, and I'll post there...)

Dish Network DTVPal DVR, $259.95, via Google Product Search. I don't think I have an AVS Forum account.

Last edited:
I am about ready to cancel by dish service and get an antenna and would like to know if this will work. I have a pvr 508 collecting dust in the closet and a tv without a digital tuner and want to know if I buy a HDTV antenna can I use the pvr 508 to act as the convert box? I'm not concerned about getting HD for right now I just want to be able to get the single to play on my TV.

I am about ready to cancel by dish service and get an antenna and would like to know if this will work. I have a pvr 508 collecting dust in the closet and a tv without a digital tuner and want to know if I buy a HDTV antenna can I use the pvr 508 to act as the convert box?

No.

I loved the DTV Pal Plus DVR while it worked. (We ordered it in April I think) For what it cost it wasn't worth what it cost with the short life. My sister also bought one, her's last a couple of months longer than mine.
We have decided not to replace it. Hopefully someone else will come out with something soon that works better/longer without a fee or phone line.

I have the TiVOHD, and as much as I hate paying the $13 a month I wouldn't be without it. The user interface is the best out there. A two year old could uses it. I dropped my cable so it's nice to have an abundance of good programming saved up for the end of the TV season, that is when I used to lean on my cable networks the heaviest.

Read the warranty DISH does not stand behind it for a year like they do with other products.

Yea, I think the warranty is only 90 days. That is the one thing I really don't like about the unit.

True, they pretty much told me they wouldn't do anything about it.
I have a feeling it's not built to last since my sisters lasted only 6 months and ours quit after 4 months.
We don't have a landline so this was perfect for us. Basically we just wanted it to record because of my husband's work he misses the shows he likes.