Best PVR?

How often do shows get "re-slotted" and you don't know about it? $10+ a month seems a steep price to pay to make this automatic for as often as it happens.

Since I don't watch live TV, I don't watch commercials, and I don't usually watch the teasers at the end of the show (or they get clipped by the timer), nor do I subscribe to a dead-tree TV guide...It happens pretty frequently, actually...

I agree with you harshness. It has a very similar feel to the Dish Network receivers. Dual tuners, features like skip 30 seconds ahead or 10 seconds back, TVGOS and ethernet updates. Hard to beat it for $250 + tax and no fees after this.

Other than being crippled by lack of name-based recording (which doesn't make sense, because you can do name-based search), you are right, the DTVPal is mostly functional. Don't forget that the $13 per month for TiVo service also pays for access to a lot of digital content that the DTVPal can't get at this time (nor is it likely to get). It also pays for the TiVo Recommendations system, which I hear is pretty good.

[edit] You know what, it does make sense. By setting timers like a VCR, the box doesn't have to be in standby 24/7 like other DVRs do. Requires a lot less powerful processor, too.

I'm just making sure that the most pertinent facts are on the table. If I could get away with having only two OTA tuners in a DVR, and name-based timers weren't absolutely critical, I'd probably buy the DTVPal.

Apparently, it's $299, everywhere, now.

AVS Forum - View Single Post - DTV Pal Plus DVR

If you can find it for $250, please post to that thread and let them know. (Or post here, and I'll post there...)

Dish Network DTVPal DVR, $259.95, via Google Product Search. I don't think I have an AVS Forum account.

Last edited:
I am about ready to cancel by dish service and get an antenna and would like to know if this will work. I have a pvr 508 collecting dust in the closet and a tv without a digital tuner and want to know if I buy a HDTV antenna can I use the pvr 508 to act as the convert box? I'm not concerned about getting HD for right now I just want to be able to get the single to play on my TV.

I am about ready to cancel by dish service and get an antenna and would like to know if this will work. I have a pvr 508 collecting dust in the closet and a tv without a digital tuner and want to know if I buy a HDTV antenna can I use the pvr 508 to act as the convert box?

No.

I loved the DTV Pal Plus DVR while it worked. (We ordered it in April I think) For what it cost it wasn't worth what it cost with the short life. My sister also bought one, her's last a couple of months longer than mine.
We have decided not to replace it. Hopefully someone else will come out with something soon that works better/longer without a fee or phone line.

I have the TiVOHD, and as much as I hate paying the $13 a month I wouldn't be without it. The user interface is the best out there. A two year old could uses it. I dropped my cable so it's nice to have an abundance of good programming saved up for the end of the TV season, that is when I used to lean on my cable networks the heaviest.

Read the warranty DISH does not stand behind it for a year like they do with other products.

Yea, I think the warranty is only 90 days. That is the one thing I really don't like about the unit.

True, they pretty much told me they wouldn't do anything about it.
I have a feeling it's not built to last since my sisters lasted only 6 months and ours quit after 4 months.
We don't have a landline so this was perfect for us. Basically we just wanted it to record because of my husband's work he misses the shows he likes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)