Best remote for 622 & everything else?

ClevelandRob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
I'm looking to buy a universal remote. The obvious choice for me is the Harmony line. I liked the 688, but now I think I'm leaning towards the more current (and more expensive) 880.

Does anyone have any recommedations? I don't want a touch screen remote (I'd like to locate buttons without looking at the remote) I want something to simplify the TV use for my wife and company. I also have yet to find a universal remote that works with my Sony Surround system. I want to be able to put away my other remotes and never use them again.

I have:
Toshiba DLP
Vip622
Oppo DVD
Sony Surround system

Thanks.

I have the Harmony 880. It works great, and was so easy to set up. I only regret not buying it sooner- I wasted money on cheaper remotes that never did the job. This is the first and only remote I have ever had that literally replaced ALL my other remotes and controls my entire HT setup. And I haven't begun to stretch it's capabilities.

remote for 622

I agree. The Harmony 880 controls my 622 with all functions and controls everything in my home theatre from my av receiver to my lights, with a push of one button.

mikfort51 said:
I agree. The Harmony 880 controls my 622 with all functions and controls everything in my home theatre from my av receiver to my lights, with a push of one button.
Ditto, by far the 880 is the best UR out there, if you can spare smome extra dough, why don't you go for the 890..:D

The 880 is great. One of the best purchases I've made when it comes to enhancing my A/V system. You can get good deals on them now, too. Go for it.

I am using my Harmony 676, it is quite accurate with the default program options.

I use this remote for:
Watch Dish Network
Watch DirecTV
Watch Cable TV
Play DVD Movie
Listen to Satellite
Play Video Game

My equipment (advanced in my own mind only perhaps)
Dish Network ViP622
Hughes HR10-250
Yamaha RX-V620
Denon DVD-1910
Mistsubishi WS-55515

I was looking at purchasing one also. I have a DVR 625 and I use the rf remote on all the extra tvs, including the main one. Not all of the Harmony's have the rf feature, but of the ones that do, is it as simple as telling it what receiver I have and it will work? Some I've seen have rf but it is to relay the signals to your main components so you can keep them hidden in a closet. Will I always be stuck with Dish's branded remote (and if nothing else is compatible, can I buy a spare and have 2 remotes for the 2nd DVR output)?

So, what's the best with UHF?

I had to stick my 622 in my basement due to not being able to deal with the noise from the hard drive always running, even when the receiver is "powered off."

Tom Bombadil said:
So, what's the best with UHF?
That's also what I'm interested in (rf=radio frequency)

a: the Harmony 720
thanks! Is $200 reasonable for a remote with those features? Does it learn buttons from unsupported remotes?

Last edited:
I like my Sony RM-AX4000 for the 622. I run a 622, 921, HDTV and Surround with it. Fully customizable using the laptop for programming and it also can learn from other remotes.

I haven't found concrete evidence that any Harmony remote works with a Dish receiver via UHF/RF. I know you can set up an extender to accept the Harmony's IR commands which are then sent to the other extender which sends an IR signal to the Dish receiver.

I've read that the Harmony remotes that have RF capabilities, that their RF is not compatible with Dish's RF frequencies.

Right now I have to juggle three remotes, although I can use the Dish UHF remote about 80% of the time. It partially controls my TV and A/V receiver.

If you want to go the cheap route, the OneForAll Chamelion works pretty well. Make sure you turn off the motion sensor in it, though, or you will spend a lot of money on batteries.

I can't say enough good things about my Harmony 880! I use mine to control 2 622's, a DVD recorder, A/V reciever and my TV. This morning I just programmed it to work with my new Zektor component switch box and it works great!

I agree the 880 does work with my 622, my Sony DAVFC8 and Vizio TV.

Couple of downsides. 1 the Charging cradle is very particular about the position of the remote, often if you dont place it just right it wont recharge, not been an issue really yet, just annoying
Also it seems to have trouble changing the input's on my sony and TV as i switch between watch dvd and watch dish. i sometimes have to do it manually.
Note i just added these options to the custom buttons.

If I were to get a universal remote for my main viewing area, could I use the tv1 remote for the 622 as a uhf remote in another room to comtrol tv2?

i'll put in a vote for the Home Theater Master 850. It has uhf capability but as far as i know there are no remotes on the market that will communicate with the 622's UHF TV2. There was a thread a few months ago about an after market device to convert the IR to dish's uhf but i don't remember much about it.

It's UHF will comunicate with most IR extenders or you can buy one made for it.

Check out remotecentral for more info than you could want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)