BHTV 3.0 - app and web browser now work outside of home for live TV

byron

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
Ooltewah, TN, US
Got an email from BHN about BHTV 3.0 this afternoon, and checked it out. Great job BHN, on finally rolling out the ability to watch live TV outside of the range of your home cable modem network. (Seriously, great job!) Verizon's allowed it for over a year now for FIOS TV customers, so I'm glad to have the ability. I'm sure others will be happy as well.

The web app uses Silverlight (meh..) and does a decent job once a high bitrate stream is negotiated. (Wish it was as smooth as an Apple HLS stream, but maybe most won't notice?) In any case, I'm watching both News 13 and Bay News 9 here from Tampa and no complaints here so far.

Now... as I asked months ago.... Can we get a Roku app to tap into the BHTV channels, like the TWCTV one which most of this BHTV streaming platform is already built around? I mean, considering Verizon could very well be getting ready to dish up some sort of OTT streaming options for subscribers (likely for non-FIOS service areas, I understand) -- it might be something to have handy in your arsenal for competition, no?

Byron

Thanks for starting the discussion Byron, though I am surprised not to see a definitive response since your initial post last October. So I want to echo the first question with some personal, current relevance and the more specific second question regarding On Demand availability.

I am a Brighthouse subscriber in Ormond Beach FL. Due to an extended 8-week stay in a temporary short-term rental in Jacksonville coming up April 12-June 6, I am going to be bringing my Roku since otherwise my TV programming will be limited to basic non-cable box Comcast coax service. With the Roku, I expect I will be able to get HBO GO and Netflix on the TV since I am a subscriber to both. However neither of these offer my preferred routine day-to-day programming.

So my first question is whether BHTV is (or is going to be) available via the Roku by April 12. My second question is whether, if so, this will include any On Demand channel access to routine channels like ABC, BBC, CW, and others for prior or missed episodes that will not otherwise be available with basic TV service included in my rental unit.

BHTV on Roku? (or any OTT platform for that matter?) Likely not April 12th, and now with the Charter purchase announcement coming to light, probably not anytime soon. Additionally, one probably can't watch many of their desired networks via the app or the website when away from the home, because the out-of-home viewing options on BHTV are still somewhat limited. Still, it's good to have at least something related to paid TV cable service to watch on the go I suppose.

In your situation, I'd get a Slingbox Pro HD (older gen, retails about $69+/- lately) from Tiger Direct and hook it up at your regular residence. Then, (unfortunately), plop down the $15 or whatever it costs to purchase the SlingPlayer app for your smartphone device of choice, because you'll need it for what comes next. Hook the Slingbox up in tandem with your cable box at home, in the middle between your c-box and TV using either composite or component (component recommended for HD) and test it before it you leave on your smartphone.

OK..Still with me?

Once you get that working to your satisfaction (with the included IR blaster which lets you remotely access your box's on screen guide, change channels, hit Start Over, access DVR, etc. etc.) ... THEN.... (Still with me?) Next, you can load the Slingplayer Roku Channel onto your Roku. Open the Slingplayer mobile app and join the same Wifi network your Roku is connected to, and press the button on your smartphone to "cast" your Slingplayer stream to the Roku.

1) It's a pain in the ass. Especially the first time around, before you get accustomed to the setup.
2) It's not perfect, and eats battery on phone if not charging, requires Wifi at your rental, not to mention bandwidth on said Wifi to be readily available for consumption.
3) However - if done right and that guy Murphy's law is on your side - you're watching live TV on your Roku, or live DVR even.

You can adjust the quality from your mobile device, and regulate how high quality of a stream you're pulling (read: trying to negotiate from your home's connection) that is being relayed to your Roku. The best part to remember here is, you can watch anything you'd be capable of watching if you were still back home. So a little work and struggle could be worth the trouble, IMHO.

I hope this info helps others, including yourself, who find themselves in such a dilemma.

Byron

Thank you, Byron. I had actually thought of Slingbox, but thought it would be a lot more expensive and complicated and less effective. I have saved your instructions in my permanent Notes folder.

I'd also have to temporarily rent another Brighthouse cable box so I don't flip channels out from under my wife who would be watching different channels at home while I am on this extended trip.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts