Big Bang Theory discussion

While I would love to see Big Bang Theory end, and I might just quit watching it after this season, if the cast knows whats good for them they will resign at any cost. Other than Johnny Galecki going back to minor roles in movies and TV and Kaley Cuoco riding her looks for another 10-15 years, I think the rest of the cast will fade into obscurity once the series ends. So they might as well make their millions now and keep the gravy train going until in runs dry.
I honestly don't think that's fair. The majority of the cast had some serious resumes when they were cast for these roles. Given the number of actors who fade away after their one good role, I expect to see more of most of these folks. The fact that they look like geeks and nerds actually speaks to their acting abilities, as they were anything but in other roles.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertain...ee-their-surprising-early-roles-2013710/33243
And during as well. I was very impressed with Jim Parsons in the HBO movie "The Normal Heart"

Without going to IMDB and checking each person's resume, Johnny Galecki is the only one I have any familiarity with any of them. Well, I guess "Amy", but that was in a show that I can't remember the name of because I didn't watch it (nor do I care what the name is) and was a decade ago or longer, if I'm not mistaken.

Apparently one guest character is well-known from a Star Trek series, which I've never watched...

No, I didn't say that at all. I acknowledged that some of them had enough experience or exposure that I knew of them in passing. The others, if they had a part on a single episode of NCIS or Roseanne or whatever, and did the same on a few other shows, tends to make them less "well known". Does it mean they're not successful ? I have no idea what determines that in Hollywood. I'm sure their agents can rattle off all of those details to a casting agent though. I have to doubt that jobs like that are enough to live off, which I would consider important.

Just to clarify, and I don't know if this is the case for them, I don't tend to watch 1/2-hour comedy shows. Big Bang Theory is clearly the exception to that. Maybe some of them were regular characters on those types of shows. Right or wrong, actors/actresses too often get typecast into the same or similar rules. Our daughter likes the movie Home and while she was watching it, I immediately recognized the voice of one of the two main characters as Sheldon. And guess what ? In that animated movie, he voices a character that's not even a human, but his character is an intelligent, know-it-all type.

Well, I did post a link that talked about prior experience:

Kaley had previous movie roles and was one of the daughters in 8 Simple Rules, a show that was cut short after John Ritter died.
Galecki you already acknowledged from Roseanne, but also played Rusty in Christmas Vacation
Jim Parsons had a major role in Garden State, and has since played dramatic roles such as The Normal Heart". He played that on Broadway as well.
Simon Helberg, I will admit was a bit weak. Supporting roles and 1 season on MAD TV.
Kunal Nuyyan is also pretty weak. BBT was his big break.
Mayim Balik played the young Bette Midler in beaches and had the lead role in a 5 season Emmy winning sitcom. She took some years off to earn a doctorate in neuroscience.
Melissa Rausch - Costar in a 1 season sitcom. Heavy standup experience.
Kevin Sussman (Stewart): Has played 'Stewart' in a lot of movies and TV shows.

Yeah, but you will just say "so what?", so screw it.

I honestly don't think that's fair. The majority of the cast had some serious resumes when they were cast for these roles. Given the number of actors who fade away after their one good role, I expect to see more of most of these folks. The fact that they look like geeks and nerds actually speaks to their acting abilities, as they were anything but in other roles.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertain...ee-their-surprising-early-roles-2013710/33243
And during as well. I was very impressed with Jim Parsons in the HBO movie "The Normal Heart"

Well life, isn't fair all the time, now is it?

Looking at the IMDB profiles of the main cast, the majority haven't done anything significant, besides voice acting, before, or during the run of Big Bang. Mayim Bialik had Blossom and not much of anything else. Johnny Galecki had Roseanne, and a few things before. I mainly think of him as the guy that got a hook through his jaw in I Know What You Did Last Summer. Kaley Cuoco had 8 Simple Rules, two dozen episodes of Charmed and she's hot. Jim Parsons, Simon Helberg, Kunal Nayyar and Melissa Rauch didn't do much of anything. Kunal Nayyar had a real serious resume prior to Big Bang Theory. He played a pizza man in 2004, and in 2007 he had an uncredited role in NCIS.

It's basically a collection of acting nobodies, Roseanne cast alumni and a hot chick. I stand by my comment above. Very few of main cast will be in anything worthwhile again so they better milk this show for all it's worth. Most of the secondary cast will continue to be journeymen actors popping up somewhere in a Law & Order or NCIS.

Reactions: Hall
I would say 4 to 5 months on the show. She isn't even showing yet, although she wears those lab coats and skirts with a little poof in them, that hide her figure anyway. I figure by early spring or by late May, she will be having the baby on the show. Right during sweeps month.

I don't think that anyone said they can't make ends met on $24 million a year. They simply negotiated the best deal they could. I make somewhat less than that a year but I do the same even though i could struggle along on less than what I receive now.

Reactions: lakebum431
Looks like CBS is doing a Big Bang spinoff called "Young Sheldon".
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/13/entertainment/big-bang-theory-spinoff/index.html
http://tvline.com/2017/03/02/big-bang-theory-spinoff-zoe-perry-mother-young-sheldon-prequel/

Jim Parsons will be doing a voice narration, but it looks like it'll have a different actress (Zoe Perry) playing his mother, which I think is a big mistake, as her interactions with Sheldon help define the character. Granted she's actually Laurie Metcalf's daughter, so she has the right look, but I'm not sure she can pull off the same deadpan humor.

No. BBT is an ensemble show. It isn't going to work by spinning off a character and no existing cast.

For that matter, it is tough to think of a legitimate successful spin-off. Not counting the single episode intro episodes like Mork's appearance on happy Days. The only one I can really think of is The Jeffersons. The others all tend to be one season wonders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)