Billion Dollar Question: How is BD a better format for the end user?

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
BD proponents on this site are constantly arguing that BD is the best format. Why? My question is how. Lets try and see if we can keep this in perspective.

Here is what I want to know:

First: Picture Quality, Sound Quality for the movie. Tell me how BD is a better format then HD DVD for viewing the movie only.

Second: Bonus Features available on the disc after you watch the movie -- as in does BD allow you more bonus features then HD DVD? (Not how you get to them or view them, I address that in the next question)

Third: Menu -- does BD offer something you don't get with HD DVD? How does this make watching a movie a better experiance during the viewing of the movie. How does this improve the viewing of Bonus features?

Finally Choice -- does BD offer you more choice then HD DVD?

(YES, I stole this thread from JoeSP, but it seems to me that the questions are good ones in reverse. The Million Dollar thread assumes that BD is better and HD DVD has to prove itself. So I am posting the thread in the direction it should be asked in.) :D

Hey, you thief!!:D

First, I now am able to purchase BD movies with 7.1 sound tracks in both TrueHD and DTSMasterHD and if that is not available I can always listen to PCM5.1. In addition, because there is more bandwith and space on the disc, any video codec used on BD does not have to be shrunk to fit, in fact, you can raise the video and audio bitrate on BD over that which is used on HD-DVD providing a better PQ and a lossless 7.1 audio track.

Second, The bonus features now coming out on BD are in HD on some newer BD releases. I believe that this is the trend for the future on BD with their features in HD as more and more studios are providing HD features. Expect to view these in a PIP on 1.1 compliant players.

Third, as long as the menu works and gets to where I want to go (selecting language, video, features) then BD works just fine.

Fourth, And I am sure you understand, more CE manufacturers, more Studios, more Computer Manufacture support, gee, just about more of everthing. If you don't like Sony, buy Panasonic, Samsung, LG, Denon, Marantz, Mitsubishi, Funai soon, heck you can have your pick. But with Toshiba, you only have one choice for a standalone.

As for movies, Universal has not had that many big hits in a very long long time. I guess if your fortee is old movies then Universal is your studio. As for Paramount/Dreamworks they still are capable of knocking a hit in a few times a year so enjoy the selection. After June, just about every movie most folks will want will be on BD only. That sir is Choice!

First, I now am able to purchase BD movies with 7.1 sound tracks in both TrueHD and DTSMasterHD and if that is not available I can always listen to PCM5.1. In addition, because there is more bandwith and space on the disc, any video codec used on BD does not have to be shrunk to fit, in fact, you can raise the video and audio bitrate on BD over that which is used on HD-DVD providing a better PQ and a lossless 7.1 audio track.

Second, The bonus features now coming out on BD are in HD on some newer BD releases. I believe that this is the trend for the future on BD with their features in HD as more and more studios are providing HD features. Expect to view these in a PIP on 1.1 compliant players.

Third, as long as the menu works and gets to where I want to go (selecting language, video, features) then BD works just fine.

Fourth, And I am sure you understand, more CE manufacturers, more Studios, more Computer Manufacture support, gee, just about more of everthing. If you don't like Sony, buy Panasonic, Samsung, LG, Denon, Marantz, Mitsubishi, Funai soon, heck you can have your pick. But with Toshiba, you only have one choice for a standalone.

As for movies, Universal has not had that many big hits in a very long long time. I guess if your fortee is old movies then Universal is your studio. As for Paramount/Dreamworks they still are capable of knocking a hit in a few times a year so enjoy the selection. After June, just about every movie most folks will want will be on BD only. That sir is Choice!

I just couldn't help myself. ;) :D All in good fun, and FUD free. :)

BD proponents on this site are constantly arguing that BD is the best format. Why? My question is how. Lets try and see if we can keep this in perspective.

Here is what I want to know:

First: Picture Quality, Sound Quality for the movie. Tell me how BD is a better format then HD DVD for viewing the movie only.

Second: Bonus Features available on the disc after you watch the movie -- as in does BD allow you more bonus features then HD DVD? (Not how you get to them or view them, I address that in the next question)

Third: Menu -- does BD offer something you don't get with HD DVD? How does this make watching a movie a better experiance during the viewing of the movie. How does this improve the viewing of Bonus features?

Finally Choice -- does BD offer you more choice then HD DVD?

(YES, I stole this thread from JoeSP, but it seems to me that the questions are good ones in reverse. The Million Dollar thread assumes that BD is better and HD DVD has to prove itself. So I am posting the thread in the direction it should be asked in.) :D

Because the future is blu.
We have major companies making blu-ray hardware aka Panasonic, Samsung, Pioneer and few other known companies.
Second, studios support, we have the studios supporting us.
Third, more storage, 50GB vs 25GB.
Fourth anything on blu-ray sells better.

The codecs are the same for both and you know it. Both formats use video codecs to shrink the master. Blu-Ray is not lossless video--neither format is. I know you didn't just say HD DVD doesn't do 7.1 lossless? Newline broke that mold. Check out "Vivaldi - The Four Seasons / Concertos for Double Orchestra - Acoustic Reality Experience" which will be the first 7.1 lossless disc on high def. Oops. That requires a HD DVD player. Kind of like Bourne, Beowulf and Elizabeth...

I can understand red people not wanting to be purple because of the costs of Blu-Ray players. However, not buying a $100 A2/A3 is just plain silly while justifying a $400 or higher Blu-Ray player is just silly.

I can understand red people not wanting to be purple because of the costs of Blu-Ray players. However, not buying a $100 A2/A3 is just plain silly while justifying a $400 or higher Blu-Ray player is just silly.

When the bulk of studios will be BD only in June most folks will still prefer BD. They now have Warner, Disney, Fox who account for a ton of hits from 2007 coming to BD only after May. In addition they can find plenty of Bd players under $400 now and by summer under $300. Why wouldn't they buy BD?

Because the future is blu.
We have major companies making blu-ray hardware aka Panasonic, Samsung, Pioneer and few other known companies.
Second, studios support, we have the studios supporting us.
Third, more storage, 50GB vs 25GB.
Fourth anything on blu-ray sells better.

Not that it matters anymore but its 30GB not 25 :p Get your FUD straight bro. *poke, poke* he he.

When the bulk of studios will be BD only in June most folks will still prefer BD. They now have Warner, Disney, Fox who account for a ton of hits from 2007 coming to BD only after May. In addition they can find plenty of Bd players under $400 now and by summer under $300. Why wouldn't they buy BD?

/me raises hand....

$199 has always been my magic point. Picked the add-on drive up from Sams last year for HD-DVD. Cost me $89 bucks plus got 5 free movies.

LOL, I love HD but I refuse to pay the High costs for it. SAMS has been good to me, Picked up my Sharp aquos on the clearance rack for $800. :D (floor model but was in top shape, they were moving in the new models)

To equal the capability of my HDDVD machine I'd require a Profile 2 machine. All these slew of manufacturers seem to be doing these little incremental upgrades and the Korean machines seem to give people the most trouble. So I see the Panasonic 50 as the only winner for me. But seeing as how it'll be higher than the $499 BD30 then I don't see it coming down to a reasonable price this year (350 max)

In addition, because there is more bandwith and space on the disc, any video codec used on BD does not have to be shrunk to fit, in fact, you can raise the video and audio bitrate on BD over that which is used on HD-DVD providing a better PQ and a lossless 7.1 audio track.
Do you have any proof of better video quality? I didn't think so. This is speculation.

I asked my 6-year old daughter if she wanted to watch Shrek 3 the other day. To my surprise she said, "No, it takes too long to load. I would rather watch a blue movie (aka BD). She was watching Ice Age on the PS3 in mere seconds.;)

I asked my 6-year old daughter if she wanted to watch Shrek 3 the other day. To my surprise she said, "No, it takes too long to load. I would rather watch a blue movie (aka BD). She was watching Ice Age on the PS3 in mere seconds.;)

Maybe you should teach her some patience. 45 seconds isn't that long.

riffjim

Honestly that sounds more like something she heard her father say and repeated it. It is amazing how much we influence are kids, and how they react trying to impress us.

The above comment is/was not meant to discredit you but point out the fact anything a child under lets say 14 is mearly a mirror of what we would say.

Do you have any proof of better video quality? I didn't think so. This is speculation.

Did not say anything about PQ, just stated that you could use a higher bitrate on the video codec then on HD-DVD. Now if you want to know if a higher bitrate will improve PQ you need to talk to an engineer -- that I am not. But, when the bitrates go up on D* and E* HD the PQ improves. Take from that what you will.

Did not say anything about PQ, just stated that you could use a higher bitrate on the video codec then on HD-DVD. Now if you want to know if a higher bitrate will improve PQ you need to talk to an engineer -- that I am not. But, when the bitrates go up on D* and E* HD the PQ improves. Take from that what you will.
:confused: Wrong!

in fact, you can raise the video and audio bitrate on BD over that which is used on HD-DVD providing a better PQ and a lossless 7.1 audio track.
I guess you should retract.

P.S. Keep the bag on your face.

well they're not region free... the don't have combo dvd/hddvd format for my convenience.... it hasn't been around as long as hd dvd... they are not as affordable as hd dvd... they still don't have 2 really big studios behind them, yet anyways...

now i have nothing against blu-ray, in fact im probably going to buy one just to complete my HD Setup, but i really can't tell you why Blu-Ray is a better format for the end user...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)