Black Holes, Space Aliens and what to do when E != MC2

HDTVFanAtic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2005
I am usually a person who believes that most things have a logical explanation if you look hard enough.

However, after 5 days on the roof, either the Sun has made me crazy or I was already there and went over the edge.

I have put in a larger dish to see how it would help the "problem" birds from my location in Dish's fleet.

After 5 days of looking at all dbs birds from 61.5W to 148W, apparently I should charge admission to my roof as it seems to be a giant black hole where science goes out the window.

Case in point. My very first Dish 500 is still up there - now looking at 119/129. A 20" pizza box. On the Accutrac22 meter I see a 40 on 129W at about 40ma.

If I take a 1.2 with a Invacom Quad lnbf with a 0.3 noise level, I see about a 80 on 129W at about 80ma.

(These measurements were taken at the same time as we know 129 is floating space junk as I have watched the 80 fall to about a 53 over 5 minutes in a perfectly clear sky, but thats a follow up topic).

So 2 feeds...into the meter essentially 2:1 1.2M to .5M.

I unplug the accutrac and put the feeds into a simple SW21.

Head off the roof to my Dish 6000s and ViP211s.

The Pizza Box gives me 78 on 129 T3. One would think I would overload the meter on the poor 6000 when I change the feed to the 1.2M.

WRONG!!!!

If that was the case, my roof would not be heading for a designation of National Importance where Black Holes must form.

I get a 73 with the 1.2M.

Again, same feeds on roof 2-1. On the ground the Pizza Box wins by 5-10%.

Now of course, over 5 days, I have used 6 different SW21s, 4 different SW64s, 2 different runs of RG6 and a Partridge in a Pear Tree. All with the same results.

Too make it even more interesting, I have replicated the above with 119 off the other side of the Pizza box - and it all comes out the same.

For the love of all things holy, before Carl Sagan comes back from the dead on my roof, Jodie Foster shows up only to loose 18 hours in 6 seconds and Al Gore claims he discovered it, can anyone offer any reasonable explanation wtf is going on?

Last edited:
HDTVFanAtic said:
Geez...someone has to have an idea on this....cause I am sure out of them.

Not being on your roof with you and enjoying all the wonderful splendor , I will hazard a guess.
Your 1.2 meter dish with its reading of 80 up top and 73 down below, sounds about right for signal loss.

Your 20" dish with a reading of 40 up top and 78 down below, is one of the problems.

If you are going to have 78 down below, I would expect it should be about 86 up top. Conclusion: reading of 40 was not correct for any number of reasons.

Also the 1.2 meter dish should be capable of higher numbers than the 20" dish with its corrected reading up top. I would try a finer adjustment with the larger dish and perhaps a replacement LNBF on the 1.2m.

Lets eat. :hungry:

Clancy said:
Not being on your roof with you and enjoying all the wonderful splendor , I will hazard a guess.
Your 1.2 meter dish with its reading of 80 up top and 73 down below, sounds about right for signal loss.

Your 20" dish with a reading of 40 up top and 78 down below, is one of the problems.

If you are going to have 78 down below, I would expect it should be about 86 up top. Conclusion: reading of 40 was not correct for any number of reasons.

Also the 1.2 meter dish should be capable of higher numbers than the 20" dish with its corrected reading up top. I would try a finer adjustment with the larger dish and perhaps a replacement LNBF on the 1.2m.

Lets eat. :hungry:

Thanks for the input...I understand everything is simple guesses at this point - but one has to be correct.

I have measured with 3 different types of meters now. The 40 on the dish 500 and the 80 on the 1.2 is correct on. All 3 meters, regardless of scale, show a 2:1 ratio.

If it were a bad lnbf, then the 2:1 margin of the Invacom up top would not be the case.

After disconnection from the meter, they are both plugged into the switch - only the meter is removed from the circuit. Heck....I have a cheap $20 meter I have left in and see the 2:1 up top and the reverse in the STB down below.

So, it really is a black hole.

The only POSSIBLE EXPLANATION I can come up with is if the Dish 500 scores a 78 and the 1.2 should be 2:1, that would be about 160 on the Dish 6000 scale that only goes to 120.

Could the Dish have a circuit to attenuate the signal if it is that strong?

However, why would it not attenuate to peak the scale - instead of coming in at a MUCH LOWER FIGURE?

Still at a loss!?!?!?

I am not exactly sure what your set-up is.
You have mentioned using a Dish 500 for 119 and 129 reception.
You mentioned the 1.2m for 129 reception.
You have mentioned using SW21 and SW64 switches.
I am assuming that all LNBF's and switches are legacy types.

Please explain your exact set up outside and where the feeds go inside.

Clancy said:
I am not exactly sure what your set-up is.
You have mentioned using a Dish 500 for 119 and 129 reception.
You mentioned the 1.2m for 129 reception.
You have mentioned using SW21 and SW64 switches.
I am assuming that all LNBF's and switches are legacy types.

Please explain your exact set up outside and where the feeds go inside.

You are really getting into menusa that doesnt matter.

I can use any of the aforementioned switches and have.

I measure the 129 signal strength off a Dish 500....i unlug the meter and screw the connector onto to the switch....go downstairs....and see signal strength on tv/ird.

I go back to roof, measure the 1.2M signal strength off 129W, unplug the meter, unplug the Dish 500 129W feed....screw in the 1.2M feed and go back down and check signal.

and of course its all legacy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)