Challenging upgrade from VIP722 to Hopper with OTA and Limited Cabling How To Do?

RJBreneman

Original poster
Mar 24, 2024
Prospect, Ohio
I had a technician out to do this once before. We failed and stayed with VIP722. I think we failed to consider one option and I want to try again.

Current Setup:
  • Dish outside cable goes to basement. Signal amplified OTA antenna cable goes to basement.
  • From basement, coax cable goes to family room TV over fireplace, coax cable goes to bedroom TV.
  • Internet router with wireless access is in basement. No ethernet wiring in house.
  • VIP722 over fireplace in family room. Bridged wireless AP there is connected to VIP722.
  • Multiple splitters in basement and over fireplace combine Dish and OTA signals to VIP722 and feed Dish signal back to basement then to bedroom TV.
  • OTA signal is only available in family room.
I wish to replace the VIP722 with a Hopper and Joey or Wally (?) and still keep OTA available to family room.

On prior technician visit, I was told Hopper can't use splitters to combine OTA like VIP722 does and we couldn't figure out how to keep OTA signal without doing more external cabling and penetration points, something I really don't want to do. I've since realized I will be okay with just keeping OTA in the family room.

Is it possible to do something like this?
  • Put the Hopper in the bedroom. Dish outside cable goes to basement and then directly to bedroom over existing coax.
  • Use a wireless AP in the bedroom to connect the Hopper to the Internet via the router in the basement.
  • Put a Joey in the family room that connects wirelessly to the Hopper. I guess another wireless AP is needed for this?
  • Connect the Joey to the family room TV with HDMI.
  • Run OTA from basement to family room TV with existing coax.
  • Then family room TV could watch Joey input or OTA input by switching input source.

I had a technician out to do this once before. We failed and stayed with VIP722. I think we failed to consider one option and I want to try again.

Current Setup:
  • Dish outside cable goes to basement. Signal amplified OTA antenna cable goes to basement.
  • From basement, coax cable goes to family room TV over fireplace, coax cable goes to bedroom TV.
  • Internet router with wireless access is in basement. No ethernet wiring in house.
  • VIP722 over fireplace in family room. Bridged wireless AP there is connected to VIP722.
  • Multiple splitters in basement and over fireplace combine Dish and OTA signals to VIP722 and feed Dish signal back to basement then to bedroom TV.
I wish to replace the VIP722 with a Hopper and Joey or Wally (?) and still keep OTA available to family room.

On prior technician visit, I was told Hopper can't use splitters to combine OTA like VIP722 does and we couldn't figure out how to keep OTA signal without doing more external cabling and penetration points, something I really don't want to do. I've since realized I will be okay with just keeping OTA in the family room.

• Put the Hopper in the bedroom. Dish outside cable goes to basement and then directly to bedroom over existing coax.
  • Use a wireless AP in the bedroom to connect the Hopper to the Internet via the router in the basement.
  • Put a Joey in the family room that connects wirelessly to the Hopper. I guess another wireless AP is needed for this?
  • Then family room TV could watch Joey input or OTA input by switching input source.
Looks like the only way is to run a separate cable to the Family Room or Bedroom and use the Hopper there.
Hopper in the bedroom/Family room, OTA Adapter connected to Hopper sharing locals to the Joey.

Current Setup:

Not needed, the Hopper has built in wireless

The best option I believe would be to put the Hopper in the basement and connect OTA to the Hopper the put wired Joeys in both the family room and bedroom to get both DISH & OTA.