Blocking/hiding adult on-demand

Widescreen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Allen, TX (Dallas area)
I just had 2 hoppers and a joey installed today. I know how to block/hide the channels from the guide. How do I prevent adult titles from appearing in the on-demand list? Right now, I don't even want the kids opening the list of on-demand movies because of some of the items in there. Thanks.

As I indicated in my first post, I've already locked the channels in the guide using the parental controls. But I can't see how to prevent adult shows from appearing in the on-demand area.

I suspect a lot of these adult titles are coming from Cinemax which I'm getting for free right now as a new customer. Maybe I can have DISH turn off the Cinemax channels and that will eliminate the issue. Now that I think about it, even though I have the Cinemax channels locked, these same titles would still appear in the program guide - they just would require a password to view them. So I suspect I have the same problem on the program guide as well - it's just that those titles show up 24/7 in the on-demand listing whereas they only show up later at night in the program guide.

On DirecTV, when you put a parental control on NR/AO rated titles, they show up in the guide as "Blocked Title" but I haven't seen a similar capability yet on my hoppers.

Last edited:
I dont have a Hopper, but on the 722 you actually have to lock the receiver as well, not just lock the channels.

Widescreen, have you tried to restrict channel dish cinema 1 VOD and see if that gets you what you want? Yellow, select Parental Controls, click Lock Channels tab, select dish cinema 1 VOD, and then click yes under Hide Selected Channels menu.

I think I know what you're talking about. Is this where you are seeing the titles?

image-977566552.jpg

I suspect a lot of these adult titles are coming from Cinemax which I'm getting for free right now as a new customer. Maybe I can have DISH turn off the Cinemax channels and that will eliminate the issue. Now that I think about it, even though I have the Cinemax channels locked, these same titles would still appear in the program guide - they just would require a password to view them. So I suspect I have the same problem on the program guide as well - it's just that those titles show up 24/7 in the on-demand listing whereas they only show up later at night in the program guide.

On DirecTV, when you put a parental control on NR/AO rated titles, they show up in the guide as "Blocked Title" but I haven't seen a similar capability yet on my hoppers.

Well, just tried locking out channel 1 VOD and the titles still show up in the On Demand section. I don't think there is a way to hide anything in On Demand. I set every restriction in the Parental Controls and that also did not hide the titles.

I think I know what you're talking about. Is this where you are seeing the titles?

View attachment 88017
Yep, that's it.
Well, just tried locking out channel 1 VOD and the titles still show up in the On Demand section. I don't think there is a way to hide anything in On Demand. I set every restriction in the Parental Controls and that also did not hide the titles.

Bummer. Thanks for checking, though.

Well, I guess I may just try turning off Cinemax channels and see if that helps.

As I indicated in my first post, I've already locked the channels in the guide using the parental controls. But I can't see how to prevent adult shows from appearing in the on-demand area.

My bad. I've never actually used the parental controls, so didn't realize that the "adult content" switch doesn't even work on VoD. Just tried it out. All the Skinemax stuff still shows regardless of what setting I choose. Dish needs to fix that.

Thanks for verifying. I played around with it again last night and still couldn't get those shows to vanish. At this point, the risk of exposing my kids to stuff isn't really worth the 3 months of free premiums so I think I'll just tell Dish to turn them all off. And I agree that this is something Dish can and should fix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)