Blu-ray now outselling HD-DVD by 3 to 1

reporting it ships this week with MSRP of $499.
Looks like the BD camp is trying to make their cheapest standalone player not more than twice as expensive as HD's:
Introduction: HD: $500, BD: $1000, now: HD: $250, BD: $500

Diogen.

if you think that the Ps3 is selling only as a Blu-ray player you are wrong so can we please please please get off that idea, I hate when I see that, it really takes away from what the Ps3 is at its core and that is a very good gaming machine.

I dont disagree with you....it is one hellava gaming machine but that still does not change that it has been purchased as a less expensive BD player. I have no doubt that sony wanted that way too.

I work with 10 PS3 owners in fact i sold two of them to them...and all but one is used exclusivly as a BD player....guess what....its a hellava BD player too

I dont disagree with you....it is one hellava gaming machine but that still does not change that it has been purchased as a less expensive BD player. I have no doubt that sony wanted that way too.

I work with 10 PS3 owners in fact i sold two of them to them...and all but one is used exclusivly as a BD player....guess what....its a hellava BD player too

I agree, it is a great Blu ray player, and it is a great gaming machine, but to say that its going to stop selling because their is a cheaper blu ray player on the market, cheapens it and is a incorrect statement. I know of 5 Ps3 owners personally and not one of them use it as a Blu ray player primarly, they got it for a gaming machine.

This still does not make it official yet. Show me where I can purchase one and have it in my hands within a week. When that happens I will then think it is official.

LOL...Are you sure ? Or will you find another excuse ???

I can only afford one or the other, and since the Ps3 plays blu ray without add ons (and I am confident- not sure as I am no fool either that blu ray will win) it made it an easy choice- but before you guys jump on me, I feel this way, Blu ray and HD DVD have the same PQ, BUT!!!! blu ray has better audio and more room thats why I give it the thumbs up, HD DVD is quality trust me, I just think blu ray is more future proof.

I agree, it is a great Blu ray player, and it is a great gaming machine, but to say that its going to stop selling because their is a cheaper blu ray player on the market, cheapens it and is a incorrect statement. I know of 5 Ps3 owners personally and not one of them use it as a Blu ray player primarly, they got it for a gaming machine.

It is a good Blu-ray player, and from what I read it has the power to be a great gaming machine, but I wouldn't know as all I will ever use it for will be playing movie discs. I do own both HD DVD & the PS3 for blu-ray because home entertainment is important enough to me. But I only bought a PS3 because it was the cheapest BD player and, in my opinion, the most "future proof" as I'm sure Sony will support & continue improve it for years. No, it will not stop selling with cheaper BD players coming on market, but sales already declining every month and losing badly to the WII & xBox, cheaper BD player sales sure arn't going to help rescue the PS3 from being an also ran in game consoles.

As to HD DVD/BD, I'm not convinced at all Blu-ray "will win". I almost regret getting the PS3 at times - I am generally disappointed with the BD exclusive releases I have played on it so far - which is all I play on it as I still prefer & purchase the HD DVD version of releases from Warner & Paramount.

POTC 1 (rental) was very good for audio & picture quality, but I just don't care for the movie. Night at the Museum was average video quality and such a stupid movie it's going out on eBay. Talledega Nights was unwatchable. Black Down is excellent. I saw part of Apocalytpo on DVD at a friends & ordered the BD and have high hopes.

But, my advice to anyone contemplating buying a high def player is still to go with HD DVD and enjoy consistent high quality, enjoy the Universal exclusives while putting up with missing out on a few BD only movies worth getting - until those studios come to their senses and release in both formats.:up

Last edited:
LOL...Are you sure ? Or will you find another excuse ???

No excuses. When it comes out I would be more than happy to post that a sub $500 Blu-ray player is on the market into this thread. Like I said before I have both formats and love both of them. I do wish one would win but I personally don't have a preference. Both give everything I want.

Samsung BD1000 $459.00

http://www.gosale.com/4917715/samsung-bd-p1000-blu-ray-disc?gclid=CPeA77qxw4wCFSgygQodDzubVQ

And several selling the Samsung for under $500 here:

http://www.nextag.com/Samsung-BD-P1000-High-503172387/prices-html

You just have to look. Another $100 drop and the Samsung might just become the first sub-$400 player. I hope Toshiba has deep pockets because this thing is not going to be over any time soon.

jmd102354,

At least Joe points out where you can buy a sub $500 blu-ray player today. This is the type of info I was looking for as prof.

Why do you keep saying the specs haven't been finalized? They take effect 10/31 as a requirement. Surely the specs are final, and manufacturers are moving to implement cost effective designs and begin manufacturing.

And if they aren't finalized, how could there be "interactive features/extras on the disc"? Put on the disc without a final version to follow?

jmd102354,

At least Joe points out where you can buy a sub $500 blu-ray player today. This is the type of info I was looking for as prof.

Yes, the 1st gen players from Samsung & Philips can be had online for under $500, as clearance sales.

And how long do you think they will be supported? The Samsung BD-1000 needed a new update just to be able to play the Pirates movies. I think I'd pass.

...And if they aren't finalized, how could there be "interactive features/extras on the disc"? Put on the disc without a final version to follow?
That's an easy one:
AACS' specs are not finalized yet but used for a while already... :p

Diogen.

First there was all the talk (before November) how HD-DVD was burying BD. Then there was all the talk about how HD-DVD was so much better then BD. Then there was talk about how there were considerably more HD-DVD standalones then BD and how HD-DVD would crush them. Then there was talk about how nobody would buy the PS3 for a BD player and buy BD movies. Then there was talk about how HD-DVD dropped there player under $400, offered a $100 rebate and 5 free movies! Now we are talking about that there is no BD player available under $500 when you can buy the first BD player at Best Buy and most other places for under $500.

What you guys in the HD-DVD camp should be asking is --- wait for it --- why does BD lead in discs sales over HD-DVD? Why is it that there is no title sold on both formats that HD-DVD leads in sales? Why is it that Universal has been bringing out their big guns and BD up till now has been not been bringing out their big titles and BD still leads in discs sales? Why are same title prices not the same for both camps and the BD title always has the lesser price on the rack? Why are you so afraid of the BD camp bringing out a player priced simularly to the HD-DVD player from Toshiba?

The bottom line here is that most of you are afraid to admit that if BD comes out with a low cost player and the studios supporting BD start bringing out their big titles (as Disney has done with POTC) that then it will be over. Maybe you are a little nervous because of all the standalone sales there has not been an appreciable jump in HD-DVD disc sales. Maybe Xmas 07 won't be a happy time for some of you.

It is so nice to see that you finally dropped the spec comparison (that you most of the time don't have a clue about or mix up reality with wishful thinking) and do what you do best - preaching.

And just like any other religion (i.e. promiss of heaven) the one called Blu-ray is based on the same slogan "Just wait!"

HD was out first. For $500 when everybody was expecting $1000.
-"Cheap means crap. Just wait till you see our $1000+ players. "Trojan horse" PS3 will bury you!"
HD used 20Mbps VC-1 encodes to get reference quality.
-"We need no stinkin' VC-1. MPEG-2 is better. Doesn't have "jellyfish". Just wait!
"The 5th Element" gets released. MPEG-2. Crap.
-"That is the master! Just wait! We have more storage and bandwidth! We've already won!"
PS3 gets released and even half of them sold.
-Just wait! When we conquer Europe it will be over. We've already won (again)!
HD has PiP and interactivity. Ethernet mandatory.
-Just wait (till Nov/07)! BD-Live will bury you! We need no stinkin' internet connection. Did you forget that we already won?

And so it goes on...
...What you guys in the HD-DVD camp should be asking...
What you guys in the HD DVD camp should be happy about, is that your religion doesn't have preachers like this... ;)

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts