Bob Cooper has passed away

I just received a note from Bob Cooper's wife that he has recently passed away. Bob (Robert Britt Cooper, Jr) was the father of the home satellite industry, and we all owe him a debt of gratitude for planting the seeds that started this industry, starting with an article in TV Guide magazine back in 1978. I considered him a great friend and mentor, ever since attending a trade show in Houston back in November 1980. He will be greatly missed.

A quotation from his wife, Phoebe Beach:

“It is with a deeply saddened heart I announce the peaceful passing of my dearly loved husband, Robert Britt Cooper at 4:30 pm on May 15, 2023. “Coop the one and only.” We shared much love, laughter, pleasure, intellectual debate, and silliness together. We were best friends. I will miss him.

By chance I just read the news about the death of Bob Cooper. It was a shock to me, as I had worked closely with him shortly after his book. My thoughts are with his wife. His departure reminds me of my own age (80) and that the final moment is not far away.
Christian (Dr.Dish) from Germany

I just now saw this, months later. It seems like it started with Gary Bourgois, back on November 15, 2005. Then so many others, and Bob is the latest. We talked often when I was uplinking programming from Austin. I guess this is just part of getting older.

I still miss Gary Bourgois a lot. We spent so much time on the phone together.

Mike I know you worked hard on writing the news for Gary. And it is quite possible that Friday Night Live was the very first program broadcast LIVE on the internet using RealAudio.

Those were the days. Good to see my website I made for the Tech Talk Network still lives out there today (link below) :)

I just received a note from Bob Cooper's wife that he has recently passed away. Bob (Robert Britt Cooper, Jr) was the father of the home satellite industry, and we all owe him a debt of gratitude for planting the seeds that started this industry, starting with an article in TV Guide magazine back in 1978. I considered him a great friend and mentor, ever since attending a trade show in Houston back in November 1980. He will be greatly missed.

A quotation from his wife, Phoebe Beach:

“It is with a deeply saddened heart I announce the peaceful passing of my dearly loved husband, Robert Britt Cooper at 4:30 pm on May 15, 2023. “Coop the one and only.” We shared much love, laughter, pleasure, intellectual debate, and silliness together. We were best friends. I will miss him.
When I got my big dish in 1985, he was still active. A lot of great memories. RIP. You will be missed.

Mike I know you worked hard on writing the news for Gary. And it is quite possible that Friday Night Live was the very first program broadcast LIVE on the internet using RealAudio.

Those were the days. Good to see my website I made for the Tech Talk Network still lives out there today (link below) :)

Actually I have to give most of the credit to George Antunes in Houston, who provided constant updates of all kinds of interesting news. Gary and I may have read much of this, but George was our primary source.