George Antunes has passed away

mikekohl

Prehistoric Satellite Guru
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 4, 2004
Montfort, Wisconsin
George Antunes of Houston, TX passed away on November 21, 2023. His name may be less than familiar to most Satellite Guys members, but he was instrumental in working behind the scenes to "spread the gospel" of satellite reception during the 90s and the first half of the 2000 decade. George was a Political Science professor at the University of Houston by day, but spent untold hours every week scouring all available sources for news stories relating to satellite and broadcasting. Every Friday afternoon, Gary Bourgois of Friday Night Live and myself were inundated with tons of stories to consider putting on the airwaves of FNL. New satellite and programming developments were covered, as well as technical aspects of broadcasting. Sometimes News Of The Weird was also available. George found this and willingly shared it without expectation of thanks or compensation. He was a true hobbyist in multiple senses of the word, and had multiple C and Ku-band systems like the rest of us. He will be missed for his generous nature and ability to share wisdom obtained from many years discussing world events as a university professor. I was proud to have him for a friend for almost 30 years. Rest in peace George.

I remember George. Sorry to hear the news.

If it wasn't for Gary and Friday Night Live I doubt there would be a SatelliteGuys. I use to speak to Gary for hours upon hours every week and helped him be one of the first shows that had its audio broadcast live on the internet. In fact it may have been the first show to actually be broadcast LIVE on the internet. The folks from RealAudio sent me the RealAudio Live encoder and server to test... but didn't tell me not to make the tests public until after FNL was over. (Whoops!) :D

Rest in Peace George, and if you see Gary let him know that Rope should not be used to hold your pants up. :D